Estacion, health committee chair and incident commander of the province’s Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-EID), said in a virtual press briefing that she has given instructions to the rural health units, municipal and city health offices to prepare their respective lists of senior citizens who will receive the inoculation.
However, the province still has not received a fresh supply of vaccines from the national government, and the ones on hand are set aside for the second dose of the front-liners.
The administration of the second dose to healthcare workers (HCWs) in Negros Oriental is ongoing with 283 having received it so far, Estacion said.
“We already started giving the second dose of the vaccines to the front-liners who received the Sinovac last March 4,” she said.
A total of 6,043 HCWs in Negros Oriental have received the first dose of vaccines so far, comprising almost half of the province’s estimated 13,000 front-liners from both private and government hospitals, Estacion said.
The province received in three separate batches some 11,000 doses of Sinovac’s CoronaVac and AstraZeneca vaccines last March, but supply has already run out.
As some of the front-liners still have to be convinced to receive the jabs, Estacion said they now have to move on to the next priority sector, specifically, senior citizens, once the new shipment arrives. (PNA)
By Mary Judaline Partlow