Local DRRMCs take over retrieval operations in Natonin landslide

NATONIN, Mountain Province, Nov. 12(PIA) -- The Search, Rescue and Retrieval (SRR) operations in Sitio Ha’rang, Barangay Banawel in  this  town  will continue through the efforts of the provincial and municipal local government units in Mountain Province and other volunteers.

 

On Friday( Nov.9), Search and Retrieval Operation Head Brigadier General Leopoldo Imbang Jr. with Incident Commander Lt. Col. Narciso Nabulneg Jr. , turned over the SRR operations formally to the LGUs of Mountain Province and Natonin thru Gov. Bonifacio Lacwasan and Mayor Mateo Chiyawan  as  chairman of the provincial and municipal  risk reduction  and management  council, respectively .

Thru the guidance of Office of Civil Defense Cordillera Regional Director Ruben Carandang, the Incident Command Post decided to terminate the search and retrieval under the national and regional levesl effective 6:00 pm on Thursday (Nov.8) following the post assessment and evaluation of all the SRR groups in the area.

Imbang emphasized that “the national contingents will only be temporarily leaving the site” assuring that they will be supporting the continuous operation and on call if needed.

At least 1000 responders and rescuers coming from the different government and law enforcement agencies, private groups and organizations as well as other volunteers from the nearby regions of Region 1, 2, 3 and other areas came to help in the SRR operations in Natonin since Oct. 31.

A massive landslide hit the  buildings of the DPWH Mountain Province Second  Engineering District where several laborers and residents took shelter at around 4PM on Oct. 30 during the height of typhoon Rosita. Part of the buildings were  buried in the land erosion while  others  were washed out to the nearby creek.

At least 30 individuals were reported as casualties in the incident with 12  still missing. 

Civil Defense Administrator Usec. Ricardo Jalad with Natonin Incident Commander Lt. Col. Narciso Nabulneg Jr. and OCD-CAR Regional Director Ruben Carandang assess  the ground zero of the tragic landslide that hit Barangay Banawel, Natonin, Mountain Province. (RMC- PIA CAR)

Chiyawan said    they will continue the SRR operations until they locate the remaining missing individuals. He reported that the SRR operations has not retrieved bodies from Tuesday to Thursday but fortunately on Friday, a  body was recovered at least one kilometer away from ground zero. There have been 18 bodies recovered from the ground zero to the nearby water bodies in lower Natonin to Paracelis.

Mountain Province PDRRMO Head lawyer Edward Chumawar said that the SRR operation will now concentrate on the organic personnel of the LDRRMCs composed of the local  police, Bureau of Fire Protection and other member agencies. Joining them are  LDRRMCs  and volunteers from the nearby municipalities of Mayoyao and Aguinaldo in Ifugao; Paracelis, Besao, Bauko and Tadian in Mountain Province and Kalinga province and  small scale miners of Itogon, Benguet.

Meanwhile, in his visit to the ground zero last week, OCD Administrator Usec. Ricardo Jalad said that the efforts of the local SRR operations will be  supported and  guided by the OCD including logistics and other needs. (JDP/ RMC- PIA CAR)

 

logo

CONTACT US

(074)661-5599

Globe:0917-558-5303

321B Lopez Bldg., Session Road, Baguio City

press@cordilleraexpress.com