Diclas issued Executive Order 2020-13 suspending classes in all levels during said period immediately after the meeting of the Provincial Task on COVID-19 on Friday morning.
The order stated that class suspension is subject to guidelines and directives that may be released by the national government, Department of Health or upon assessment of the task force.
During the duration of suspension, students are expected to do their home-based assignments.
School officials and administrators are instructed to immediately sanitize and disinfect their classrooms and facilities in order to prevent the transmission of the disease.
The task force decided to synchronize class suspension in the province with Baguio City which declared on March 12 the suspension of classes in all levels in the city from March 13-22. Many students from Benguet or renting in Benguet towns are studying in Baguio, this move will minimize exposure and ensure people are in good shape with the increasing number of persons under investigation and persons under monitoring.
Officer-in-charge of Benguet General Hospital Meliarazon Dulay bared there are five PUIs admitted in the province. In preparation for any eventuality, Dulay said BeGH has converted one wing of the hospital which could accommodate 17 patients.
As of March 13, there are also five PUIs admitted in hospitals in Baguio City.
So far, the Cordillera remains COVID-19-free.
The governor also issued Executive Order No. 2020-014 suspending all tourism events, crowd-drawing activities including the operation of restobars and karaoke bars within the province from March 13 to April 10, 2020.
Bar owners are also instructed to immediately sanitize and disinfect their facilities at least twice a week in order to prevent the transmission of the disease. (JDP/SCA-PIA-CAR, Benguet)
By Susan C. Aro