Baguio Latest News

COMELEC, PNP and AFP heightens security preparations for May 14 Barangay and SK election in CAR

BAGUIO CITY, Apr. 4 (PIA) - - The Commission on Election  convened officials of the Philippine National Police and the Armed Forces of the Philippines in an initial meeting for the Joint Security Control Center Command Conference at the COMELEC Regional Office here, in preparation for the scheduled May 18 Barangay and Sangguniang Kabataan elections.


Multi-level parking structures to feature ‘green engineering’

BAGUIO CITY – The local government will be preparing the needed designs for the put up of multi-level parking structures that will feature  ‘green engineering’ to serve as an added attraction in certain parts of the city when realized.


DepEd opens CARAA 2019 hosting

Just a month after the staging of this year’s Cordillera Administrative Region Athletic Association (CARAA) Meet in the Province of Abra, the Department of Education – Cordillera (DepEd CAR) is already set to find the next host.


Promote federalism grounded on reality - DILG Asec

BAGUIO CITY, March 23 (PIA) -- Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) Assistant Secretary Jonathan Malaya urged participants to a federalism communications campaign workshop to sell federalism grounded not on promises, but on reality and a shared-vision which is an investment in the future.


Mines View, Busol next to Boracay

BAGUIO CITY – Two premier tourist destinations and a forest reservation in the city will be the next sites to be allegedly closed by the environment department because of supposed blatant violation of environmental, health and sanitation laws by both businessmen and residents and the proliferation of illegal structures in the said places.


Mayor orders dismantling of gambling equipment in Burnham

BAGUIO CITY– Mayor Mauricio G. Domogan ordered the immediate dismantling of different gambling equipment that were put in place by the operator of the carnival situated within a portion of the children’s playground in response to the numerous complaints raised by the public against the purported gambling activities in the said area.


TIEZA earmarks P20 Million for Burnham walkway

BAGUIO CITY – The State-run Tourism Infrastructure and Enterprise Zone Authority (TIEZA) earmarked some P20 million for the improvement of the interior walkway of the Burnham lake to improve its current condition that will be attractive to both residents and tourists.


Mayor stops gambling in Burnham carnival site

BAGUIO CITY  – Mayor Mauricio G. Domogan ordered concerned offices of the local government to stop the reported gambling activities within the carnival site that was established in the children’s playground.


Put up of batching plant in Burnham Park rejected

BAGUIO CITY – The City Environment and Parks Management office recommended for the denial of the proposed put up of a temporary cement batching plant by a construction firm within the vicinity of the former archery range behind the Burnham Park swimming pool because of its reported serious negative impact to the state of the environment in the area.


Removal of terrorist tag on Cordillerans sought

BAGUIO CITY – The City Council approved a resolution requesting the Philippine government to drop the terrorist tag against supposed human rights defenders who are residents of the city.


Dress code ordinance in Baguio proposed

BAGUIO CITY  – The City Council approved on first reading a proposed ordinance prohibiting going half-naked in public places within the city and providing penalties for violation of the measure which will be known as the ‘Dress Code Ordinance’ in the city.


SLU ranks 3rd performing school in Pharmacy board exam

BAGUIO CITY, March 19(PIA) -- Saint Louis University ranked third among the top performing school in the March 2018 Pharmacist Licensure examination.


Rehab of Baguio Convention Center underway

BAGUIO CITY – The City Tourism office confirmed that the proposed rehabilitation of the city-owned Baguio Convention Center is underway to make it as one the premier government convention facilities in the city.


City tourist arrivals up

BAGUIO CITY – Foreign and local tourist arrivals in the city continue to improve amidst the negative publicities that the city had been getting over the past few days, a senior tourism official said here Tuesday.


Dads hear public on proposal to implement Burnham Master Plan

BAGUIO CITY – The City Council held a public consultation on the proposed ordinance authorizing the implementation of the master development plan for Burnham Park particularly the site of the former city auditorium and the new library grounds and parks management.


Parking exemptions to building owners to be revoked

BAGUIO CITY  – The City Council is studying the possibility of revoking all the previous exemptions granted by the local legislative body to several building owners to use the Ganza parking area and other private parking areas in the city as their off-site parking spaces to correct their deficiencies in parking slots within their structures.


P20 million earmarked to purchase 4 garbage trucks

BAGUIO CITY  – Some P20 million was earmarked by the local government in its annual budget this year for the purchase of additional four more garbage trucks to augment the city’s current fleet that will contribute in efforts to improve the collection of garbage in the 128 barangays.


Put up of barangay human rights action centers pushed

BAGUIO CITY  – The City Council approved on first reading a proposed ordinance reinforcing Resolution No. 371, series of 2011 entitled “Urging all Barangays in the City of Baguio to Establish and Rationalize a Barangay Human Rights Action Center and to Train a Barangay Human Rights Action Officer (BHRAO” by directing all barangay officials in the city to create or operationalize the Barangay Human Rights Action Center (BAHRAC)


DOH-CAR conducts first 1000 days of life orientation for health workers

BAGUIO CITY,  March 23 (PIA) -- The Department of Health – Cordillera(DOH-CAR) conducted orientation on nutrition services and interventions during the First 1000 Days of Life for the first and second batch of participants from Benguet, Ifugao, and Baguio here.


Senate to tackle Cordi autonomy bill

BAGUIO CITY  – Senate President Aquilino Pimentel III vowed to work on the deliberations of Senate Bill (SB) No. 1678 or the Senate’s counterpart bill for the establishment of an Autonomous Region in the Cordillera (ARC) while the Bangsamoro Basic Law (BBL) is still being discussed on the committee level.


Page 5 of 6

Baguio Tourist Attractions

Marker of the Philippine Commission's First Session in Baguio

This is the site of the building where the members of the Philippine Commission met from April 22 to June 11, 1904 and officially initiated the use of Baguio as the Philippine Summer Capital. The Commission was composed of Governor General Luke Wright, president, and Commissioners Henry Ide, Dean C. Worcester, T Padre Tavera, Benito Legarda, Jose de Luzuriaga, James Smith and Cameron Forbes.

Kennon Road and its Builder

Tourist-Spots-in-BaguioNamed after Col. Lyman W. Kennon, who was the final builder of the famous Benguet road, with the help of the industrious Cordillerans and foreign workers. Kennon road is the shortest and the most scenic highway linking Baguio and the lowlands. The lion's head can be found along the way. Final construction of this road was finished in 1903. Col. L. Kennon first ascended to Baguio in 1905. Of the original workers, the Igorots and Japanese were admired for their trustworthiness and willingness to work. Kennon was closed to traffic after the July 16, 1990 earthquake. It is now open to light vehicles only.

Diplomat Hotel on Dominican Hill

diplomatIn May 1911, the councils of the Province of the Dominican Order voted to construct a vacation house in Baguio on a 17-hectare property they had acquired when the American authorities were encouraging people to come here. Actual work started in 1913 under Fr. Roque Ruano and the building was inaugurated on May 23, 1925. To take advantage of the tax exemptions a school called Collegio del Santissimo Rosario was opened in June 1915 but due to the very small enrollment the school closed in 1917, reverting the building to the original vacation house. During WWII refugees first occupied it. Later the Japanese Army Liberation Forces had to bomb out the refugees from the buildings. The five hits left very extensive damage and for a time it was left unrepaired. Reconstruction was started in 1947 and completed in 1948 with most of its pre-war grandeur and beauty restored. In 1973, Diplomat Hotels, Inc. acquired ownership, remodeled the interior into a 33-bedroom hotel with modern facilities, but retained the unique and distinct personality of the Dominican Hill. In the 80's the hotel ceased operations due to the death of one of its majority stockholders. Plans are underway to develop this historical religious landmark into a tourist resort.

Philippine Military Academy

PMAThe Philippine Commission promulgated Act No. 175, which became the basis for the creation of the Philippine Constabulary in August 8, 1905. The school for the officers of the constabulary was first located in Sta. Lucia Barracks in Manila. Later in 1908, it was relocated in Baguio on the site known as Constabulary Hill later renamed Camp Henry T. Allen, in honor of the first chief of the Philippine Constabulary. With the passage of the Jones Law, the school was later changed to "Academy for Officers of the Philippine Constabulary" with a two-year curriculum. In 1908, the course was raised to collegiate level and later lengthened to three years with class 1938 as having the last graduates of that course. When the commonwealth government was established in 1935, the Philippine Military Academy was created in place of the Philippine Constabulary Academy. Under the National Defense Act, the PMA was authorized to maintain cadet strength of 350. Because of increased population, the academy transferred to Teachers Camp in June 1936 where it remained until WWII broke out. After the war the PMA headquarters was temporarily relocated at Camp Murphy and later at Alabang, while Camp Allen was being rehabilitated. Since May 1950 the Philippine Military Academy has found its permanent home at Fort del Pilar, Loakan, Baguio City.

The Mansion

The-Mansion-Baguio-CityThis imposing and majestic mansion has a long list of Filipino Presidents and American governor-generals. It has elegantly structured building and guesthouse. Its gate is patterned after that of London's Buckingham Palace. The Mansion has also been the site of several international conferences and a working office of the President of the Philippines during his visits to the City.

Camp John Hay

camp-john-hay-amphitheaterThis former American recreational facility is currently undergoing development as a world class resort. As of March 27, 1999, the golf course was completed and is now open, The skating rink, picnic area, and the mini golf course at the Scout Hill area are likewise open.

Asin Hot Spring

Located 16 kilometers northwest of Baguio, the resort's main feature is a swimming pool surrounded by thermal springs, lush vegetation and several hanging bridges. It is an ideal respite. This is now eyed to be redeveloped into a tourism resort along with the adjoining tourist attractions of Tuba and Baguio.

Bell Church

The-Bell-Church-of-Baguio-CityThis cluster of temples is located on the border of Baguio City and Trinidad Valley. Its exotic oriental architecture, pagodas roof, ornate gateway, dragon ornaments and Buddha - guarded windows gaze from atop a hill. The Bell Temple priest practices a mixture of Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism, and Christianity. One may even try having his fortune told.

Burnham Park

Burnham-Park-BaguioIt is the oldest of all Baguio parks. One can unwind from the tension of the day-to-day bustle by biking, skating or simply reflecting on the day's experiences amid a soothing garden backdrop of colorful flowers. It is thickly wooded and is a great place to have picnics and concerts. There are tennis and basketball courts, a football field, athletic oval and an orchidarium.

Mines View Park

Mines-View-Park-Baguio-CityAppropriately named for its breathtaking view of Benguet's mountain ranges where gold, silver and other ores were once quarried. There are souvenir shops around the park offering such items as woodcarvings, woven cloth, ashtrays, shell products and other curio items.

Wright Park

It is sometimes mistakenly called "Ride Park" by some that identify this pine tree park reserve for kiddy horse rides. A long stairway leads to the "Pool of the Pines", a 100 meter long pool of water lined on both sides by the famous Baguio towering pine.