Baguio Latest News

PWDs raise concerns in community-based dialogue

BAGUIO CITY, July 20 (PIA) --The federation of Persons with Disabilities in the city appealed to concerned government agencies to fully implement Republic Act 9442 or the Magna Carta of Persons with Disabilities (PWDs).

 

During the Community-Based Dialogue (CBD) session spearheaded by the Commission on Human Rights (CHR) Cordillera, John Paredes of the Baguio Association of the Blind presented some of the issues and concerns being faced by PWDs in the city.

Among the issues presented by Paredes include accessibility, employment, limited therapy and medical services for children with disabilities, banking system for the Visually Impaired (VI), implementation of the 20% discount on taxi fares for the VIs and Hearing Impaired (HI).

Paredes, who is a VI, said that while project on accessibility is focused on the installation of ramps, there is also a need for accessibility features to guide VIs when crossing the street.

He cited some examples like the installation of electronic switch or push button along pedestrian lanes, or magnetic toe at pedestrian lanes and market places for VI persons to follow.

He also appealed for the installation of designated taxi stand for VIs at the Central Business District for easier access to get taxi ride.

Jerry Lingaling of the Father Rafael Desmedt (FARAD) Multipurpose Cooperative

and interim president of PWDs in the city, said PWDs think that the real essence of the accessibility is to make them access places and social services even on their own. Lingaling uses a wheelchair

Another problem on accessibility here is that most of the comfort rooms for PWDs in business establishments are usually locked, so they still have to talk to the person in-charge to be able to use them, he added.

On the issue on banking system, Paredes said that PWDs particularly the VIs experienced discrimination in opening bank accounts especially in big banks. They cannot open bank accounts on their own due to lack of gadget designed for the purpose. He said at present, only Summit Bank is accepting VIs to open bank accounts.

There should be a law that provides VIs to personally have their bank accounts, Paredes expressed.

On the 20% discount previledge of PWDs on fare in public utility vehicles, Paredes said that the VIs and hearing- impaired are not currently enjoying the 20% discount on taxi fare which the orthopedically impaired do.

Jeany Ann Torres,  information officer of  Department of Transportation, responded saying LTRFB Memo Circular 2018-004 states that PWDs can avail of discounted fares so long as they present documents such as identification card issued by the National Council for Welfare of Disabled Persons or local government units.

Violators shall pay a total of PHP5, 000 fine for the first offense, and PHP10, 000 for the second offense plus a six-month suspension of their Certificate of Public Convenience, Torres informed.

On the issue of lack of employment opportunities for PWDs. Lingaling appealed to government agencies to put emphasis on the one percent employment allotment for PWDs in government entities. (JDP/MWC-PIA CAR)

 

Baguio Tourist Attractions

Marker of the Philippine Commission's First Session in Baguio

This is the site of the building where the members of the Philippine Commission met from April 22 to June 11, 1904 and officially initiated the use of Baguio as the Philippine Summer Capital. The Commission was composed of Governor General Luke Wright, president, and Commissioners Henry Ide, Dean C. Worcester, T Padre Tavera, Benito Legarda, Jose de Luzuriaga, James Smith and Cameron Forbes.

Kennon Road and its Builder

Tourist-Spots-in-BaguioNamed after Col. Lyman W. Kennon, who was the final builder of the famous Benguet road, with the help of the industrious Cordillerans and foreign workers. Kennon road is the shortest and the most scenic highway linking Baguio and the lowlands. The lion's head can be found along the way. Final construction of this road was finished in 1903. Col. L. Kennon first ascended to Baguio in 1905. Of the original workers, the Igorots and Japanese were admired for their trustworthiness and willingness to work. Kennon was closed to traffic after the July 16, 1990 earthquake. It is now open to light vehicles only.

Diplomat Hotel on Dominican Hill

diplomatIn May 1911, the councils of the Province of the Dominican Order voted to construct a vacation house in Baguio on a 17-hectare property they had acquired when the American authorities were encouraging people to come here. Actual work started in 1913 under Fr. Roque Ruano and the building was inaugurated on May 23, 1925. To take advantage of the tax exemptions a school called Collegio del Santissimo Rosario was opened in June 1915 but due to the very small enrollment the school closed in 1917, reverting the building to the original vacation house. During WWII refugees first occupied it. Later the Japanese Army Liberation Forces had to bomb out the refugees from the buildings. The five hits left very extensive damage and for a time it was left unrepaired. Reconstruction was started in 1947 and completed in 1948 with most of its pre-war grandeur and beauty restored. In 1973, Diplomat Hotels, Inc. acquired ownership, remodeled the interior into a 33-bedroom hotel with modern facilities, but retained the unique and distinct personality of the Dominican Hill. In the 80's the hotel ceased operations due to the death of one of its majority stockholders. Plans are underway to develop this historical religious landmark into a tourist resort.

Philippine Military Academy

PMAThe Philippine Commission promulgated Act No. 175, which became the basis for the creation of the Philippine Constabulary in August 8, 1905. The school for the officers of the constabulary was first located in Sta. Lucia Barracks in Manila. Later in 1908, it was relocated in Baguio on the site known as Constabulary Hill later renamed Camp Henry T. Allen, in honor of the first chief of the Philippine Constabulary. With the passage of the Jones Law, the school was later changed to "Academy for Officers of the Philippine Constabulary" with a two-year curriculum. In 1908, the course was raised to collegiate level and later lengthened to three years with class 1938 as having the last graduates of that course. When the commonwealth government was established in 1935, the Philippine Military Academy was created in place of the Philippine Constabulary Academy. Under the National Defense Act, the PMA was authorized to maintain cadet strength of 350. Because of increased population, the academy transferred to Teachers Camp in June 1936 where it remained until WWII broke out. After the war the PMA headquarters was temporarily relocated at Camp Murphy and later at Alabang, while Camp Allen was being rehabilitated. Since May 1950 the Philippine Military Academy has found its permanent home at Fort del Pilar, Loakan, Baguio City.

The Mansion

The-Mansion-Baguio-CityThis imposing and majestic mansion has a long list of Filipino Presidents and American governor-generals. It has elegantly structured building and guesthouse. Its gate is patterned after that of London's Buckingham Palace. The Mansion has also been the site of several international conferences and a working office of the President of the Philippines during his visits to the City.

Camp John Hay

camp-john-hay-amphitheaterThis former American recreational facility is currently undergoing development as a world class resort. As of March 27, 1999, the golf course was completed and is now open, The skating rink, picnic area, and the mini golf course at the Scout Hill area are likewise open.

Asin Hot Spring

Located 16 kilometers northwest of Baguio, the resort's main feature is a swimming pool surrounded by thermal springs, lush vegetation and several hanging bridges. It is an ideal respite. This is now eyed to be redeveloped into a tourism resort along with the adjoining tourist attractions of Tuba and Baguio.

Bell Church

The-Bell-Church-of-Baguio-CityThis cluster of temples is located on the border of Baguio City and Trinidad Valley. Its exotic oriental architecture, pagodas roof, ornate gateway, dragon ornaments and Buddha - guarded windows gaze from atop a hill. The Bell Temple priest practices a mixture of Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism, and Christianity. One may even try having his fortune told.

Burnham Park

Burnham-Park-BaguioIt is the oldest of all Baguio parks. One can unwind from the tension of the day-to-day bustle by biking, skating or simply reflecting on the day's experiences amid a soothing garden backdrop of colorful flowers. It is thickly wooded and is a great place to have picnics and concerts. There are tennis and basketball courts, a football field, athletic oval and an orchidarium.

Mines View Park

Mines-View-Park-Baguio-CityAppropriately named for its breathtaking view of Benguet's mountain ranges where gold, silver and other ores were once quarried. There are souvenir shops around the park offering such items as woodcarvings, woven cloth, ashtrays, shell products and other curio items.

Wright Park

It is sometimes mistakenly called "Ride Park" by some that identify this pine tree park reserve for kiddy horse rides. A long stairway leads to the "Pool of the Pines", a 100 meter long pool of water lined on both sides by the famous Baguio towering pine.