Baguio Latest News

Cordillera Unity Gong brings govt services to the provinces

BAGUIO CITY, July 6(PIA) -- The sectoral committees of the Regional Development Council(RDC) will lead activities to bring services to the people in the different provinces as part of the Cordillera Unity Gong Relay which is a major activity of the 31st Cordillera Month celebration.

 

The traditional Cordillera Unity Gong Relay will kick off morning of July 9 at the scenic Banaue Hotel with host province officials led by Governor Pedro Mayam-o and Vice Governor Jose Jordan Gullitiw, NEDA-CAR Regional Director and RDC Vice Chair MIlagros Rimando, and RDC Development Administration Sectoral Committee chaired by DILG-CAR Regional Director Marlo Iringan, the lead committee in this year’s celebration.

After the program, the gong relay team will travel to Bontoc, Mountain Province for the turn-over ceremony at Mount Polis and the program proper at capital town of Bontoc at 5PM.

Simultaneously, RDC Economic Development Sectoral Committee spearheaded by the DTI-CAR in partnership with the local government of Mountain Province, and the regional offices of DOST, DA and DAR will open a mini trade fair at the Bontoc Multipurpose Plaza which will run from 9AM to 5PM. The trade fair includes a craft demo on weaving, coffee brewing and serving, and free anti-rabies vaccination, pet grooming and neutering.

The DOST will also turnover the STARBOOKS, short for Science & Technology Academic and Research-Based Openly Operated Kiosk Station, also known as "LIBRARY IN A BOX" intended to serve as information access portals to the different school beneficiaries in the province.

On July 10, the unity gong will travel to Kalinga where it will be turned over to Kalinga officials in the town of Lubuagan, and then proceed to Tabuk City for the formal program.

The Watershed and Environment Management Sectoral Committee headed by the DENR-CAR will lead the recognition program to award the best performing People’s Organizations at 9AM in Tabuk City. This will also include the distribution of free patents to beneficiaries and information, education and communication campaign including regional autonomy.

On July 11, the Unity Gong will be brought to the province of Apayao where it will be turned over at the boundary in Conner and will proceed to Kabugao town for the program proper and the friendship ball games between Kalinga and Apayao.

The Regional Social Development Committee chaired by the DSWD-CAR will hold the Convergence Caravan and One Stop shop in Pudtol, Apayao during the Apayao leg.

On July 12, the unity gong will travel at least 10 hours from Apayao to the province of Abra where it will be turned over to Abra officials at the Tangadan Tunnel and then proceed to the Capitol building for the formal program.

For the Abra leg, the Development Administration and Good Governance Committee led by the DILG-CAR will open on July 11 the three-day Anti-Drug Abuse training for barangays at the Provincial Capitol Social Hall.

On July 13, the unity gong will travel to Baguio City and Benguet province for its official turn over program and ceremony.

The CHED-CAR will take the lead in the Cordillera Got Talent competition at the NEAP Hall, Teachers Camp in Baguio City on July 13 at 1PM to be attended by students from the different state colleges and universities in the Cordillera.

On July 14, the Unity Gong will travel back from Benguet to the host province Ifugao wherein it will be received by the members of the Ifugao delegation in Lamut town followed by the tree tending activity in the vicinity of the Panudpudan District Hospital and CENRO Lamut.

The gong relay was conceived by the RDC in its search for an activity that would draw all the provinces and the City of Baguio in the pursuit of regional autonomy. The symbolic unity gong is moved from one province to another. The governors or their representatives serve as relayer and receiver usually at the political boundary area or at the seat of governance. They take turn in beating the gong at a designated area to sound-off the call for unity and they gave out messages on the move towards regional autonomy.

The Cordillera Month celebration will be held at the capital town of Lagawe on July 15.  This year’s celebration theme is “CAR@31: Regional Autonomy for Good Governance” which is congruent to the region’s renewed quest for regional autonomy and in support of the Regional Development Council’s thrust of autonomy towards federalism. (JDP/ RMC- PIA CAR)

 

Baguio Tourist Attractions

Marker of the Philippine Commission's First Session in Baguio

This is the site of the building where the members of the Philippine Commission met from April 22 to June 11, 1904 and officially initiated the use of Baguio as the Philippine Summer Capital. The Commission was composed of Governor General Luke Wright, president, and Commissioners Henry Ide, Dean C. Worcester, T Padre Tavera, Benito Legarda, Jose de Luzuriaga, James Smith and Cameron Forbes.

Kennon Road and its Builder

Tourist-Spots-in-BaguioNamed after Col. Lyman W. Kennon, who was the final builder of the famous Benguet road, with the help of the industrious Cordillerans and foreign workers. Kennon road is the shortest and the most scenic highway linking Baguio and the lowlands. The lion's head can be found along the way. Final construction of this road was finished in 1903. Col. L. Kennon first ascended to Baguio in 1905. Of the original workers, the Igorots and Japanese were admired for their trustworthiness and willingness to work. Kennon was closed to traffic after the July 16, 1990 earthquake. It is now open to light vehicles only.

Diplomat Hotel on Dominican Hill

diplomatIn May 1911, the councils of the Province of the Dominican Order voted to construct a vacation house in Baguio on a 17-hectare property they had acquired when the American authorities were encouraging people to come here. Actual work started in 1913 under Fr. Roque Ruano and the building was inaugurated on May 23, 1925. To take advantage of the tax exemptions a school called Collegio del Santissimo Rosario was opened in June 1915 but due to the very small enrollment the school closed in 1917, reverting the building to the original vacation house. During WWII refugees first occupied it. Later the Japanese Army Liberation Forces had to bomb out the refugees from the buildings. The five hits left very extensive damage and for a time it was left unrepaired. Reconstruction was started in 1947 and completed in 1948 with most of its pre-war grandeur and beauty restored. In 1973, Diplomat Hotels, Inc. acquired ownership, remodeled the interior into a 33-bedroom hotel with modern facilities, but retained the unique and distinct personality of the Dominican Hill. In the 80's the hotel ceased operations due to the death of one of its majority stockholders. Plans are underway to develop this historical religious landmark into a tourist resort.

Philippine Military Academy

PMAThe Philippine Commission promulgated Act No. 175, which became the basis for the creation of the Philippine Constabulary in August 8, 1905. The school for the officers of the constabulary was first located in Sta. Lucia Barracks in Manila. Later in 1908, it was relocated in Baguio on the site known as Constabulary Hill later renamed Camp Henry T. Allen, in honor of the first chief of the Philippine Constabulary. With the passage of the Jones Law, the school was later changed to "Academy for Officers of the Philippine Constabulary" with a two-year curriculum. In 1908, the course was raised to collegiate level and later lengthened to three years with class 1938 as having the last graduates of that course. When the commonwealth government was established in 1935, the Philippine Military Academy was created in place of the Philippine Constabulary Academy. Under the National Defense Act, the PMA was authorized to maintain cadet strength of 350. Because of increased population, the academy transferred to Teachers Camp in June 1936 where it remained until WWII broke out. After the war the PMA headquarters was temporarily relocated at Camp Murphy and later at Alabang, while Camp Allen was being rehabilitated. Since May 1950 the Philippine Military Academy has found its permanent home at Fort del Pilar, Loakan, Baguio City.

The Mansion

The-Mansion-Baguio-CityThis imposing and majestic mansion has a long list of Filipino Presidents and American governor-generals. It has elegantly structured building and guesthouse. Its gate is patterned after that of London's Buckingham Palace. The Mansion has also been the site of several international conferences and a working office of the President of the Philippines during his visits to the City.

Camp John Hay

camp-john-hay-amphitheaterThis former American recreational facility is currently undergoing development as a world class resort. As of March 27, 1999, the golf course was completed and is now open, The skating rink, picnic area, and the mini golf course at the Scout Hill area are likewise open.

Asin Hot Spring

Located 16 kilometers northwest of Baguio, the resort's main feature is a swimming pool surrounded by thermal springs, lush vegetation and several hanging bridges. It is an ideal respite. This is now eyed to be redeveloped into a tourism resort along with the adjoining tourist attractions of Tuba and Baguio.

Bell Church

The-Bell-Church-of-Baguio-CityThis cluster of temples is located on the border of Baguio City and Trinidad Valley. Its exotic oriental architecture, pagodas roof, ornate gateway, dragon ornaments and Buddha - guarded windows gaze from atop a hill. The Bell Temple priest practices a mixture of Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism, and Christianity. One may even try having his fortune told.

Burnham Park

Burnham-Park-BaguioIt is the oldest of all Baguio parks. One can unwind from the tension of the day-to-day bustle by biking, skating or simply reflecting on the day's experiences amid a soothing garden backdrop of colorful flowers. It is thickly wooded and is a great place to have picnics and concerts. There are tennis and basketball courts, a football field, athletic oval and an orchidarium.

Mines View Park

Mines-View-Park-Baguio-CityAppropriately named for its breathtaking view of Benguet's mountain ranges where gold, silver and other ores were once quarried. There are souvenir shops around the park offering such items as woodcarvings, woven cloth, ashtrays, shell products and other curio items.

Wright Park

It is sometimes mistakenly called "Ride Park" by some that identify this pine tree park reserve for kiddy horse rides. A long stairway leads to the "Pool of the Pines", a 100 meter long pool of water lined on both sides by the famous Baguio towering pine.