Baguio Latest News

No toilets for 54,000 Cordillera households

BAGUIO CITY  – more than fifty-four thousand households in the remote areas of the Cordillera do not still have sanitary toilets to date, a top official of the Cordillera office of the Department of Health (DOH-CAR) said here recently.

 

DOH-CAR regional director Dr. Lakshmi Legaspi claimed that the 54,000 households represent at least 15 percent of the total households regionwide, and more than 307,000 households or 85 percent have their own sanitary toilets.

“We will try to achieve the mandated zero open defecation by 2022 through the aggressive implementation of our programs to empower residents in the countryside to have toilets for every household,” Legaspi stressed.

The DOH-CAR official claimed the agency is providing free ceramic toilet bowls for the residents in the remote areas of the region who do not yet have toilets as part of its all-out campaign to convince people to put up their own toilets for health and sanitation purposes so as not to contribute in the pollution of the environment through open defecation.

DOH-CAR assistant regional director Amelita Pangilinan said that 70 percent of the region’s 1, 173 barangays have households in various sitios that still do not have sanitary toilets and health workers are doing their best to convince the concerned residents to put up their own toilets within their backyards.

Aside from the free ceramic toilet bowl being provided by the agency, Pangilinan claimed that for the poorest of the poor who cannot afford to purchase the required materials to construct their toilets, the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) is providing them financial assistance for the purchase of the necessary construction materials to be used for the putting up of their toilets.

According to her, open defecation by residents without toilets contribute to the pollution of the sources of potable water of the villages as the presence of fecal coliform in the said bodies of water is traceable to human feces being washed down to the said bodies of water during the rainy season.

DOH-CAR officials assured stakeholders they will try to work double time for the realization of their projected target of zero open defecation by 2022 considering the enormous support being provided by the government for the achievement of the agency’s target to convince residents to have at least one toilet in their houses.

She explained that the agency is also embracing the best practices of indigenous peoples (IPs) in the different parts of the region to help in convincing people to voluntarily build their toilets to address health and sanitation issues prevailing in their places.

However, Pangilinan emphasized that although there is a growing awareness among the IPs in the countryside on the need for them to put up their toilets for health and sanitation purposes, the agency must still aggressively implement its zero open defecation campaign to instill into the minds of the residents that something good must be done to improve the health condition of people living in the remote communities around the Cordillera.

By HENT

 

Baguio Tourist Attractions

Marker of the Philippine Commission's First Session in Baguio

This is the site of the building where the members of the Philippine Commission met from April 22 to June 11, 1904 and officially initiated the use of Baguio as the Philippine Summer Capital. The Commission was composed of Governor General Luke Wright, president, and Commissioners Henry Ide, Dean C. Worcester, T Padre Tavera, Benito Legarda, Jose de Luzuriaga, James Smith and Cameron Forbes.

Kennon Road and its Builder

Tourist-Spots-in-BaguioNamed after Col. Lyman W. Kennon, who was the final builder of the famous Benguet road, with the help of the industrious Cordillerans and foreign workers. Kennon road is the shortest and the most scenic highway linking Baguio and the lowlands. The lion's head can be found along the way. Final construction of this road was finished in 1903. Col. L. Kennon first ascended to Baguio in 1905. Of the original workers, the Igorots and Japanese were admired for their trustworthiness and willingness to work. Kennon was closed to traffic after the July 16, 1990 earthquake. It is now open to light vehicles only.

Diplomat Hotel on Dominican Hill

diplomatIn May 1911, the councils of the Province of the Dominican Order voted to construct a vacation house in Baguio on a 17-hectare property they had acquired when the American authorities were encouraging people to come here. Actual work started in 1913 under Fr. Roque Ruano and the building was inaugurated on May 23, 1925. To take advantage of the tax exemptions a school called Collegio del Santissimo Rosario was opened in June 1915 but due to the very small enrollment the school closed in 1917, reverting the building to the original vacation house. During WWII refugees first occupied it. Later the Japanese Army Liberation Forces had to bomb out the refugees from the buildings. The five hits left very extensive damage and for a time it was left unrepaired. Reconstruction was started in 1947 and completed in 1948 with most of its pre-war grandeur and beauty restored. In 1973, Diplomat Hotels, Inc. acquired ownership, remodeled the interior into a 33-bedroom hotel with modern facilities, but retained the unique and distinct personality of the Dominican Hill. In the 80's the hotel ceased operations due to the death of one of its majority stockholders. Plans are underway to develop this historical religious landmark into a tourist resort.

Philippine Military Academy

PMAThe Philippine Commission promulgated Act No. 175, which became the basis for the creation of the Philippine Constabulary in August 8, 1905. The school for the officers of the constabulary was first located in Sta. Lucia Barracks in Manila. Later in 1908, it was relocated in Baguio on the site known as Constabulary Hill later renamed Camp Henry T. Allen, in honor of the first chief of the Philippine Constabulary. With the passage of the Jones Law, the school was later changed to "Academy for Officers of the Philippine Constabulary" with a two-year curriculum. In 1908, the course was raised to collegiate level and later lengthened to three years with class 1938 as having the last graduates of that course. When the commonwealth government was established in 1935, the Philippine Military Academy was created in place of the Philippine Constabulary Academy. Under the National Defense Act, the PMA was authorized to maintain cadet strength of 350. Because of increased population, the academy transferred to Teachers Camp in June 1936 where it remained until WWII broke out. After the war the PMA headquarters was temporarily relocated at Camp Murphy and later at Alabang, while Camp Allen was being rehabilitated. Since May 1950 the Philippine Military Academy has found its permanent home at Fort del Pilar, Loakan, Baguio City.

The Mansion

The-Mansion-Baguio-CityThis imposing and majestic mansion has a long list of Filipino Presidents and American governor-generals. It has elegantly structured building and guesthouse. Its gate is patterned after that of London's Buckingham Palace. The Mansion has also been the site of several international conferences and a working office of the President of the Philippines during his visits to the City.

Camp John Hay

camp-john-hay-amphitheaterThis former American recreational facility is currently undergoing development as a world class resort. As of March 27, 1999, the golf course was completed and is now open, The skating rink, picnic area, and the mini golf course at the Scout Hill area are likewise open.

Asin Hot Spring

Located 16 kilometers northwest of Baguio, the resort's main feature is a swimming pool surrounded by thermal springs, lush vegetation and several hanging bridges. It is an ideal respite. This is now eyed to be redeveloped into a tourism resort along with the adjoining tourist attractions of Tuba and Baguio.

Bell Church

The-Bell-Church-of-Baguio-CityThis cluster of temples is located on the border of Baguio City and Trinidad Valley. Its exotic oriental architecture, pagodas roof, ornate gateway, dragon ornaments and Buddha - guarded windows gaze from atop a hill. The Bell Temple priest practices a mixture of Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism, and Christianity. One may even try having his fortune told.

Burnham Park

Burnham-Park-BaguioIt is the oldest of all Baguio parks. One can unwind from the tension of the day-to-day bustle by biking, skating or simply reflecting on the day's experiences amid a soothing garden backdrop of colorful flowers. It is thickly wooded and is a great place to have picnics and concerts. There are tennis and basketball courts, a football field, athletic oval and an orchidarium.

Mines View Park

Mines-View-Park-Baguio-CityAppropriately named for its breathtaking view of Benguet's mountain ranges where gold, silver and other ores were once quarried. There are souvenir shops around the park offering such items as woodcarvings, woven cloth, ashtrays, shell products and other curio items.

Wright Park

It is sometimes mistakenly called "Ride Park" by some that identify this pine tree park reserve for kiddy horse rides. A long stairway leads to the "Pool of the Pines", a 100 meter long pool of water lined on both sides by the famous Baguio towering pine.