Baguio Latest News

SSS orients Baguio students on benefits of members

BAGUIO CITY, June 5 (PIA) - - The benefit value per peso contribution of a member paying the minimum amount of monthly contribution to the Social Security System translates to P118 worth of benefits, that is how “Sulit” a person’s savings if they invest in SSS.

 

This was emphasized by SSS Member Education Department Manager Fernando Nicolas during the SSS Future Members’ Forum held at the University of the Cordilleras here on May 25 which was attended by graduating college students and technical – vocational education and skills trainees.

Nicolas disclosed that as of December 2017, SSS has  a total of 36.1 million members that include 26.1 million employed individuals; 4.4M self – employed; 4.2M voluntary members; and 1.4M Overseas Filipino Workers.

In terms of monthly contribution, a private sector employee pays an amount equivalent to 11 percent of his/her  Monthly Salary Credit, thus, a person earning P1,000 per month needs only to pay P110 and is entitled to all the SSS benefits  such as  sickness, maternity, disability, retirement, death and funeral benefits, Nicolas explained.

Aside from SSS programs, Senior Vice President for Administrative Group May Catherine Ciriaco also introduced their office as a possible career option for the participants.

The SSS, she said,  is a world – class institution with 27 ISO-certified branches and 21 branches awarded by the Civil Service Commission for Citizen Satisfaction Center Seal for Excellence.

SSS also practices  a culture of thrust, empowerment and teamwork; a viable institution that offers security of tenure; provides recognition and incentives to employees; offers workplace diversity as they welcome qualified applicants of different age, religion and gender. The workforce include PWDs and members of the minority and SSS offers competitive compensation, allowance and benefits package that also include work – life balance with various programs and activities for their employees, Ciriaco said.

"We also have Corporate Social Responsibility projects and in joining SSS, you will have an opportunity to serve the nation," she added.

The Future Members’ forum is part of the Regional Sulit Conference: “Kontribusyon, Sulit na Sulit” that SSS conducted in partnership with the Philippine Information Agency.

Ciriaco shared this is  the first time that SSS made a university tour and they hope that they can bring their information campaign to other future members  in other parts of the country.

UC VP for Administration Leonarda Aguinalde expressed their gratitude to SSS and PIA for bringing the forum to their institution.

Aguinalde, a proud member of SSS, encouraged  all the participants to plan now and make sure that they invest in SSS for their own and their families’ security. Carlito C. Dar (JDP/CCD-PIA CAR)

 

Baguio Tourist Attractions

Marker of the Philippine Commission's First Session in Baguio

This is the site of the building where the members of the Philippine Commission met from April 22 to June 11, 1904 and officially initiated the use of Baguio as the Philippine Summer Capital. The Commission was composed of Governor General Luke Wright, president, and Commissioners Henry Ide, Dean C. Worcester, T Padre Tavera, Benito Legarda, Jose de Luzuriaga, James Smith and Cameron Forbes.

Kennon Road and its Builder

Tourist-Spots-in-BaguioNamed after Col. Lyman W. Kennon, who was the final builder of the famous Benguet road, with the help of the industrious Cordillerans and foreign workers. Kennon road is the shortest and the most scenic highway linking Baguio and the lowlands. The lion's head can be found along the way. Final construction of this road was finished in 1903. Col. L. Kennon first ascended to Baguio in 1905. Of the original workers, the Igorots and Japanese were admired for their trustworthiness and willingness to work. Kennon was closed to traffic after the July 16, 1990 earthquake. It is now open to light vehicles only.

Diplomat Hotel on Dominican Hill

diplomatIn May 1911, the councils of the Province of the Dominican Order voted to construct a vacation house in Baguio on a 17-hectare property they had acquired when the American authorities were encouraging people to come here. Actual work started in 1913 under Fr. Roque Ruano and the building was inaugurated on May 23, 1925. To take advantage of the tax exemptions a school called Collegio del Santissimo Rosario was opened in June 1915 but due to the very small enrollment the school closed in 1917, reverting the building to the original vacation house. During WWII refugees first occupied it. Later the Japanese Army Liberation Forces had to bomb out the refugees from the buildings. The five hits left very extensive damage and for a time it was left unrepaired. Reconstruction was started in 1947 and completed in 1948 with most of its pre-war grandeur and beauty restored. In 1973, Diplomat Hotels, Inc. acquired ownership, remodeled the interior into a 33-bedroom hotel with modern facilities, but retained the unique and distinct personality of the Dominican Hill. In the 80's the hotel ceased operations due to the death of one of its majority stockholders. Plans are underway to develop this historical religious landmark into a tourist resort.

Philippine Military Academy

PMAThe Philippine Commission promulgated Act No. 175, which became the basis for the creation of the Philippine Constabulary in August 8, 1905. The school for the officers of the constabulary was first located in Sta. Lucia Barracks in Manila. Later in 1908, it was relocated in Baguio on the site known as Constabulary Hill later renamed Camp Henry T. Allen, in honor of the first chief of the Philippine Constabulary. With the passage of the Jones Law, the school was later changed to "Academy for Officers of the Philippine Constabulary" with a two-year curriculum. In 1908, the course was raised to collegiate level and later lengthened to three years with class 1938 as having the last graduates of that course. When the commonwealth government was established in 1935, the Philippine Military Academy was created in place of the Philippine Constabulary Academy. Under the National Defense Act, the PMA was authorized to maintain cadet strength of 350. Because of increased population, the academy transferred to Teachers Camp in June 1936 where it remained until WWII broke out. After the war the PMA headquarters was temporarily relocated at Camp Murphy and later at Alabang, while Camp Allen was being rehabilitated. Since May 1950 the Philippine Military Academy has found its permanent home at Fort del Pilar, Loakan, Baguio City.

The Mansion

The-Mansion-Baguio-CityThis imposing and majestic mansion has a long list of Filipino Presidents and American governor-generals. It has elegantly structured building and guesthouse. Its gate is patterned after that of London's Buckingham Palace. The Mansion has also been the site of several international conferences and a working office of the President of the Philippines during his visits to the City.

Camp John Hay

camp-john-hay-amphitheaterThis former American recreational facility is currently undergoing development as a world class resort. As of March 27, 1999, the golf course was completed and is now open, The skating rink, picnic area, and the mini golf course at the Scout Hill area are likewise open.

Asin Hot Spring

Located 16 kilometers northwest of Baguio, the resort's main feature is a swimming pool surrounded by thermal springs, lush vegetation and several hanging bridges. It is an ideal respite. This is now eyed to be redeveloped into a tourism resort along with the adjoining tourist attractions of Tuba and Baguio.

Bell Church

The-Bell-Church-of-Baguio-CityThis cluster of temples is located on the border of Baguio City and Trinidad Valley. Its exotic oriental architecture, pagodas roof, ornate gateway, dragon ornaments and Buddha - guarded windows gaze from atop a hill. The Bell Temple priest practices a mixture of Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism, and Christianity. One may even try having his fortune told.

Burnham Park

Burnham-Park-BaguioIt is the oldest of all Baguio parks. One can unwind from the tension of the day-to-day bustle by biking, skating or simply reflecting on the day's experiences amid a soothing garden backdrop of colorful flowers. It is thickly wooded and is a great place to have picnics and concerts. There are tennis and basketball courts, a football field, athletic oval and an orchidarium.

Mines View Park

Mines-View-Park-Baguio-CityAppropriately named for its breathtaking view of Benguet's mountain ranges where gold, silver and other ores were once quarried. There are souvenir shops around the park offering such items as woodcarvings, woven cloth, ashtrays, shell products and other curio items.

Wright Park

It is sometimes mistakenly called "Ride Park" by some that identify this pine tree park reserve for kiddy horse rides. A long stairway leads to the "Pool of the Pines", a 100 meter long pool of water lined on both sides by the famous Baguio towering pine.