Baguio Latest News

SLU, UC, UB lead CAR’s notable performance in the CPA licensure examinations

Baguio City – The Saint Louis University (SLU), University of Baguio (UB) and the University of the Cordilleras (UC) lead a notable performance of Cordillera Administrative Region (CAR) schools in the May 2018 Certified Public Accountants Licensure Examination.


SLU is still the top producer of CPAs in the region and outperformed all schools with 200 or more examinees, UC had an alumnus that landed a 7th place in the top ten, while UB registered the best success rate among CAR schools.

SLU had the second most number of passers in the entire country as a total of 109 Louisian examinees successfully hurdled the tests. SLU fielded a total of 252 candidates, also the second most in the nation. Only the Polytechnic University of the Philippines (PUP) – Main Campus had more with their 117 out of 462.

The other schools with 200 or more examinees are Saint Paul School of Professional Studies (SPSPS) in Palo, Leyte (71 of 240) and Philippine School of Business Administration (PSBA) in Quezon City (24 of 221).

SLU also leads the success rate of these schools with its 43.25% passing rate. Counting schools with over 100 examinees, only the University of San Jose – Recoletos did better by having 80 passers out of 113 examinees for a 70.80% passing rate. The University of Santo Tomas fielded exactly 100 candidates where 68 of them passed.

The performances of other schools’ with more than 100 examinees are: San Beda College (57/139, 41.01%); PUP-Main (38.31%); PSBA-Manila (53/170, 31.18%); SPSPS (29.58%); La Consolation College (25/104, 24.04%); Bataan Peninsula State University-Balanga (24/104, 23.08%); University of Luzon (26/176, 14.77%); PSBA-QC (10.86%); National College of Business and Arts (13/126, 10.31%), and Rc-Al Khwarizmi International College (11/109, 10.09%).

UC’s Donald Mark Marcos Rapinan garnered 89.83% to earn a tie for seventh place among successful examinees who garnered the 10 highest places.

UB had 10 passers out of 18 examinees for a 55.56% passing ratio to lead CAR school in success rate.

All three schools were also way better than the national passing rate 28.92%. A total of 2,843 out of 9,830 examinees nation-wide became new CPAs. UC had 30 of its 59 examinees passed for a 50.85% passing rate.

Save for one, the other CAR schools generally fared just fine.

The Mountain Province State Polytechnic College (MPSPC) had 7 passers out of 28 for a 25.00% passing rate; AMA Computer College – Baguio (2/6, 33.33%); Cordillera Career Development College (5/45, 11.11%); and Kings College of the Philippines – La Trinidad (7/67, 10.45%). The Divine Word College of Bangued was blanked as its 12 examinees have to do better next time.

Other notable performances by schools in the nearby regions are the 100% passing rate by the Kingfisher School of Business and Finance in Pangasinan (16/16) and the University of Saint Louis in Tuguegarao (28/53, 52.83%).

The De LaSalle University of Manila (82/91, 90.11%) and University of San Carlos (86/72, 83.72%) were adjudged the top performing schools by PRC as only those with 50 or more examinees and with at least 80% passing rate.

The Professional Regulation Commission is reminding successful examinees that the schedule of online appointment for issuance of Professional ID and Certificate of Registration will start from June 4 to June 11, 2018. They are to duly accomplish the Oath Form, Notice of Admission (NOA) and bring two (2) pieces of colored passport ID picture with white background and nametag and two (2) sets of documentary stamps. Successful examinees should personally register and sign in the Roster of Registered Professionals.

The licensure exams was held on May 13, 20 & 21, 2018 at PRC testing centers in Manila, Baguio, Cagayan De Oro, Cebu, Davao, Iloilo, Legazpi, Tacloban and Tuguegarao while the official results were released last May 28, five working days after the last day of board exams.

The May 2018 CPA board exams are administered by PRC Board of Accountancy headed by its Chairman, Joel L. Tan-Torres and its members, Gloria T. Baysa, Samuel B. Padilla, Arlyn Juanita S. Villanueva, Thelma S. Ciudadano, Marko Romeo L. Fuentes and Gervacio I. Piator



Baguio Tourist Attractions

Marker of the Philippine Commission's First Session in Baguio

This is the site of the building where the members of the Philippine Commission met from April 22 to June 11, 1904 and officially initiated the use of Baguio as the Philippine Summer Capital. The Commission was composed of Governor General Luke Wright, president, and Commissioners Henry Ide, Dean C. Worcester, T Padre Tavera, Benito Legarda, Jose de Luzuriaga, James Smith and Cameron Forbes.

Kennon Road and its Builder

Tourist-Spots-in-BaguioNamed after Col. Lyman W. Kennon, who was the final builder of the famous Benguet road, with the help of the industrious Cordillerans and foreign workers. Kennon road is the shortest and the most scenic highway linking Baguio and the lowlands. The lion's head can be found along the way. Final construction of this road was finished in 1903. Col. L. Kennon first ascended to Baguio in 1905. Of the original workers, the Igorots and Japanese were admired for their trustworthiness and willingness to work. Kennon was closed to traffic after the July 16, 1990 earthquake. It is now open to light vehicles only.

Diplomat Hotel on Dominican Hill

diplomatIn May 1911, the councils of the Province of the Dominican Order voted to construct a vacation house in Baguio on a 17-hectare property they had acquired when the American authorities were encouraging people to come here. Actual work started in 1913 under Fr. Roque Ruano and the building was inaugurated on May 23, 1925. To take advantage of the tax exemptions a school called Collegio del Santissimo Rosario was opened in June 1915 but due to the very small enrollment the school closed in 1917, reverting the building to the original vacation house. During WWII refugees first occupied it. Later the Japanese Army Liberation Forces had to bomb out the refugees from the buildings. The five hits left very extensive damage and for a time it was left unrepaired. Reconstruction was started in 1947 and completed in 1948 with most of its pre-war grandeur and beauty restored. In 1973, Diplomat Hotels, Inc. acquired ownership, remodeled the interior into a 33-bedroom hotel with modern facilities, but retained the unique and distinct personality of the Dominican Hill. In the 80's the hotel ceased operations due to the death of one of its majority stockholders. Plans are underway to develop this historical religious landmark into a tourist resort.

Philippine Military Academy

PMAThe Philippine Commission promulgated Act No. 175, which became the basis for the creation of the Philippine Constabulary in August 8, 1905. The school for the officers of the constabulary was first located in Sta. Lucia Barracks in Manila. Later in 1908, it was relocated in Baguio on the site known as Constabulary Hill later renamed Camp Henry T. Allen, in honor of the first chief of the Philippine Constabulary. With the passage of the Jones Law, the school was later changed to "Academy for Officers of the Philippine Constabulary" with a two-year curriculum. In 1908, the course was raised to collegiate level and later lengthened to three years with class 1938 as having the last graduates of that course. When the commonwealth government was established in 1935, the Philippine Military Academy was created in place of the Philippine Constabulary Academy. Under the National Defense Act, the PMA was authorized to maintain cadet strength of 350. Because of increased population, the academy transferred to Teachers Camp in June 1936 where it remained until WWII broke out. After the war the PMA headquarters was temporarily relocated at Camp Murphy and later at Alabang, while Camp Allen was being rehabilitated. Since May 1950 the Philippine Military Academy has found its permanent home at Fort del Pilar, Loakan, Baguio City.

The Mansion

The-Mansion-Baguio-CityThis imposing and majestic mansion has a long list of Filipino Presidents and American governor-generals. It has elegantly structured building and guesthouse. Its gate is patterned after that of London's Buckingham Palace. The Mansion has also been the site of several international conferences and a working office of the President of the Philippines during his visits to the City.

Camp John Hay

camp-john-hay-amphitheaterThis former American recreational facility is currently undergoing development as a world class resort. As of March 27, 1999, the golf course was completed and is now open, The skating rink, picnic area, and the mini golf course at the Scout Hill area are likewise open.

Asin Hot Spring

Located 16 kilometers northwest of Baguio, the resort's main feature is a swimming pool surrounded by thermal springs, lush vegetation and several hanging bridges. It is an ideal respite. This is now eyed to be redeveloped into a tourism resort along with the adjoining tourist attractions of Tuba and Baguio.

Bell Church

The-Bell-Church-of-Baguio-CityThis cluster of temples is located on the border of Baguio City and Trinidad Valley. Its exotic oriental architecture, pagodas roof, ornate gateway, dragon ornaments and Buddha - guarded windows gaze from atop a hill. The Bell Temple priest practices a mixture of Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism, and Christianity. One may even try having his fortune told.

Burnham Park

Burnham-Park-BaguioIt is the oldest of all Baguio parks. One can unwind from the tension of the day-to-day bustle by biking, skating or simply reflecting on the day's experiences amid a soothing garden backdrop of colorful flowers. It is thickly wooded and is a great place to have picnics and concerts. There are tennis and basketball courts, a football field, athletic oval and an orchidarium.

Mines View Park

Mines-View-Park-Baguio-CityAppropriately named for its breathtaking view of Benguet's mountain ranges where gold, silver and other ores were once quarried. There are souvenir shops around the park offering such items as woodcarvings, woven cloth, ashtrays, shell products and other curio items.

Wright Park

It is sometimes mistakenly called "Ride Park" by some that identify this pine tree park reserve for kiddy horse rides. A long stairway leads to the "Pool of the Pines", a 100 meter long pool of water lined on both sides by the famous Baguio towering pine.