Baguio Latest News

Public urged to respect SC ruling on Cereno ouster

BAGUIO CITY  – Mayor Mauricio G. Domogan urged the public to respect the decision of the Supreme Court (SC) in ousting former Chief Justice Maria Lourdes Cereno after majority of the Justices voted in favour of the quo warranto petition that was filed against her.

 

The local chief executive said that the SC is the final arbiter of the laws of the land and whatever its collective decision will become part of the laws of the country that is why whatever will be the opinion of everyone will remain their own personal opinion since the High Court already made its ruling on the matter.

While it is true that the 1987 Constitution provides that the President, Vice President, the Chief Justice and officers of the constitutional bodies may be removed through impeachment for culpable violation of the Constitution, graft and corruption, bribery, betrayal of public trust and other high crimes, Domogan explained that impeachment is only applicable when the appointment of the Chief Justice is valid from the start.

However, in the case of Cereno, he emphasized that her appointment is not valid from the start because she failed to complete the submission of her Statement of Assets and Liabilities and Net Worth (SALN) which is a major requirement for her being qualified for the position by the Judicial and Bar Council (JBC).

Domogan claimed the appropriate legal remedy in the case is the filing of the petition for quo warrant against her wherein the said petition embodies the fact that Cereno was not actually qualified for the position from the start because she failed to comply with the required submission of her SALNs.

He disclosed that the government is strict in requiring ordinary employees to comply with basic documentary requirements for them to be appointed to positions that is why Cereno should not be exempted from the explicite rule of being required to submit her SALNs prior to her being appointed as the Chief Justice of the SC.

Domogan pointed out that it is high time for everyone to move on because nothing will happen if people continue to be sour grapping on the matter although everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion on the matter.

According to him, the SC ruling on the quo warranto petition should serve as a wakeup call for government officials who have not completed their documentary requirements before the filling up of their positions because they will be prone to be subjected to the quo warranto petition that could result to their ouster from their present positions.

Her asserted the constitutional provision stating the mode of removal of impeachable officers is actually conditional that is why other legal remedies available for the petitioners could be utilized depending on the circumstances of the case.

“The final arbiter of our laws has spoken. We have to respect the decision irregardless of our own personal opinions and positions on the matter. Let us make the decision a part of the country’s rich history for the benefit of the present and future generations of Filipinos. It only shows that the law is harsh but it is still the law which we must adhere to,” Domogan stressed.

By Dexter A. See

 

Baguio Tourist Attractions

Marker of the Philippine Commission's First Session in Baguio

This is the site of the building where the members of the Philippine Commission met from April 22 to June 11, 1904 and officially initiated the use of Baguio as the Philippine Summer Capital. The Commission was composed of Governor General Luke Wright, president, and Commissioners Henry Ide, Dean C. Worcester, T Padre Tavera, Benito Legarda, Jose de Luzuriaga, James Smith and Cameron Forbes.

Kennon Road and its Builder

Tourist-Spots-in-BaguioNamed after Col. Lyman W. Kennon, who was the final builder of the famous Benguet road, with the help of the industrious Cordillerans and foreign workers. Kennon road is the shortest and the most scenic highway linking Baguio and the lowlands. The lion's head can be found along the way. Final construction of this road was finished in 1903. Col. L. Kennon first ascended to Baguio in 1905. Of the original workers, the Igorots and Japanese were admired for their trustworthiness and willingness to work. Kennon was closed to traffic after the July 16, 1990 earthquake. It is now open to light vehicles only.

Diplomat Hotel on Dominican Hill

diplomatIn May 1911, the councils of the Province of the Dominican Order voted to construct a vacation house in Baguio on a 17-hectare property they had acquired when the American authorities were encouraging people to come here. Actual work started in 1913 under Fr. Roque Ruano and the building was inaugurated on May 23, 1925. To take advantage of the tax exemptions a school called Collegio del Santissimo Rosario was opened in June 1915 but due to the very small enrollment the school closed in 1917, reverting the building to the original vacation house. During WWII refugees first occupied it. Later the Japanese Army Liberation Forces had to bomb out the refugees from the buildings. The five hits left very extensive damage and for a time it was left unrepaired. Reconstruction was started in 1947 and completed in 1948 with most of its pre-war grandeur and beauty restored. In 1973, Diplomat Hotels, Inc. acquired ownership, remodeled the interior into a 33-bedroom hotel with modern facilities, but retained the unique and distinct personality of the Dominican Hill. In the 80's the hotel ceased operations due to the death of one of its majority stockholders. Plans are underway to develop this historical religious landmark into a tourist resort.

Philippine Military Academy

PMAThe Philippine Commission promulgated Act No. 175, which became the basis for the creation of the Philippine Constabulary in August 8, 1905. The school for the officers of the constabulary was first located in Sta. Lucia Barracks in Manila. Later in 1908, it was relocated in Baguio on the site known as Constabulary Hill later renamed Camp Henry T. Allen, in honor of the first chief of the Philippine Constabulary. With the passage of the Jones Law, the school was later changed to "Academy for Officers of the Philippine Constabulary" with a two-year curriculum. In 1908, the course was raised to collegiate level and later lengthened to three years with class 1938 as having the last graduates of that course. When the commonwealth government was established in 1935, the Philippine Military Academy was created in place of the Philippine Constabulary Academy. Under the National Defense Act, the PMA was authorized to maintain cadet strength of 350. Because of increased population, the academy transferred to Teachers Camp in June 1936 where it remained until WWII broke out. After the war the PMA headquarters was temporarily relocated at Camp Murphy and later at Alabang, while Camp Allen was being rehabilitated. Since May 1950 the Philippine Military Academy has found its permanent home at Fort del Pilar, Loakan, Baguio City.

The Mansion

The-Mansion-Baguio-CityThis imposing and majestic mansion has a long list of Filipino Presidents and American governor-generals. It has elegantly structured building and guesthouse. Its gate is patterned after that of London's Buckingham Palace. The Mansion has also been the site of several international conferences and a working office of the President of the Philippines during his visits to the City.

Camp John Hay

camp-john-hay-amphitheaterThis former American recreational facility is currently undergoing development as a world class resort. As of March 27, 1999, the golf course was completed and is now open, The skating rink, picnic area, and the mini golf course at the Scout Hill area are likewise open.

Asin Hot Spring

Located 16 kilometers northwest of Baguio, the resort's main feature is a swimming pool surrounded by thermal springs, lush vegetation and several hanging bridges. It is an ideal respite. This is now eyed to be redeveloped into a tourism resort along with the adjoining tourist attractions of Tuba and Baguio.

Bell Church

The-Bell-Church-of-Baguio-CityThis cluster of temples is located on the border of Baguio City and Trinidad Valley. Its exotic oriental architecture, pagodas roof, ornate gateway, dragon ornaments and Buddha - guarded windows gaze from atop a hill. The Bell Temple priest practices a mixture of Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism, and Christianity. One may even try having his fortune told.

Burnham Park

Burnham-Park-BaguioIt is the oldest of all Baguio parks. One can unwind from the tension of the day-to-day bustle by biking, skating or simply reflecting on the day's experiences amid a soothing garden backdrop of colorful flowers. It is thickly wooded and is a great place to have picnics and concerts. There are tennis and basketball courts, a football field, athletic oval and an orchidarium.

Mines View Park

Mines-View-Park-Baguio-CityAppropriately named for its breathtaking view of Benguet's mountain ranges where gold, silver and other ores were once quarried. There are souvenir shops around the park offering such items as woodcarvings, woven cloth, ashtrays, shell products and other curio items.

Wright Park

It is sometimes mistakenly called "Ride Park" by some that identify this pine tree park reserve for kiddy horse rides. A long stairway leads to the "Pool of the Pines", a 100 meter long pool of water lined on both sides by the famous Baguio towering pine.