Baguio Latest News

Poltic is 3rd EDNCP Diocesan Bishop

BAGUIO CITY  – Rev. Nestor D. Poltic, Sr. was formally installed as the 3rd Diocesan Bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of North Central Philippines (EDNCP) during the consecration and installation rites at the Cathedral of the Resurrection, Magsaysay Avenue, Baguio City last May 1, 2018.

 

Bishop Politic succeeded Bishop Joel Padchao who was previously installed as the Prime Bishop of the Episcopal Church in the Philippines.

The 50-year old Bishop was consecrated and installed by Prime Bishop Padchao with the attendance of retired and active Bishops of the Anglican Church, together with foreign bishops from the different Anglican churches in the different parts of the world.

Bishop Poltic was born and raised in Cabilisan, Pudong, Kapangan, Benguet and he was the third among eight children of the late Mario Balliw Poltic and Alicia Dagas Kuan Hen.

He was able to receive his Bachelor’s degree in Theology at the St. Andrew’s Theological Seminary in 1991 and Master in Biblical Studies in 2009 from the Ecumenical Theological Seminary in Baguio city.

Poltic began his involvement to full-time church ministry as an intern at the St. Gregory Church in Loo, Buguias, Benguet in 1991 and was ordained deacon on March 18, 1992 at the St. Jude’s Parish in Bangao, Buguias, Benguias by then Rt. Rev. Artemio Zabala.

On June 3, 1993, Poltic was eventually ordained as a priest at the Ascension Church in Cabilisan, Pudong by the Rt. Rev. Joel Padchao and right after his ordination, he was immediately assigned at the St. Jude’s Aided Parish as Rector from 1993 to 2006.

After serving for 15 years as deacon and priest in Buguias town, Poltic was eventually assigned as Rector of St. Philip Clustered Parish in Lubas, La Trinidad, Benguet on April 23, 2006 and served the parish from May 1, 2006 to June 30, 2010.

Subsequently, Poltic was then called as Rector and Dean of the Cathedral of the Resurrection in Baguio City on July 1, 2010 which he held until June 30, 2015.

From July 1, 2015 to April 30, 2018, Poltic served as Rector of the Holy Guardian Agnel Parish in Pico, La Trinidad, Benguet before being named as the 3rd Diocesan Bishop of the EDNCP.

Poltic also served as the president of the Clericous 2010-2015, chairman of the Commission on Ministry 2003-2007, chairperson for the Commission on Children, Youth and Student Ministry and chairperson of the Commission on Development and Social Concerns 1999-2003.

He was the vice chair of the Diocesan Council 2010-2014 and a member to other Commissions as well. He was also a member of the Board of Examining Chaplains from 2009-2017.

Poltic is the current chair of the La Trinidad Ecumenical Council of Churches and the religious sector representative to the La Trinidad Municipal Anti-Drug Council. He was also the previous vice chair of the Baguio-Benguet Ecumenical Group 2010-2015, a member of the Board of Directors of the EDNCP Credit Cooperative 2010-2017 and a convenor of the said organization.

By HENT

 

Baguio Tourist Attractions

Marker of the Philippine Commission's First Session in Baguio

This is the site of the building where the members of the Philippine Commission met from April 22 to June 11, 1904 and officially initiated the use of Baguio as the Philippine Summer Capital. The Commission was composed of Governor General Luke Wright, president, and Commissioners Henry Ide, Dean C. Worcester, T Padre Tavera, Benito Legarda, Jose de Luzuriaga, James Smith and Cameron Forbes.

Kennon Road and its Builder

Tourist-Spots-in-BaguioNamed after Col. Lyman W. Kennon, who was the final builder of the famous Benguet road, with the help of the industrious Cordillerans and foreign workers. Kennon road is the shortest and the most scenic highway linking Baguio and the lowlands. The lion's head can be found along the way. Final construction of this road was finished in 1903. Col. L. Kennon first ascended to Baguio in 1905. Of the original workers, the Igorots and Japanese were admired for their trustworthiness and willingness to work. Kennon was closed to traffic after the July 16, 1990 earthquake. It is now open to light vehicles only.

Diplomat Hotel on Dominican Hill

diplomatIn May 1911, the councils of the Province of the Dominican Order voted to construct a vacation house in Baguio on a 17-hectare property they had acquired when the American authorities were encouraging people to come here. Actual work started in 1913 under Fr. Roque Ruano and the building was inaugurated on May 23, 1925. To take advantage of the tax exemptions a school called Collegio del Santissimo Rosario was opened in June 1915 but due to the very small enrollment the school closed in 1917, reverting the building to the original vacation house. During WWII refugees first occupied it. Later the Japanese Army Liberation Forces had to bomb out the refugees from the buildings. The five hits left very extensive damage and for a time it was left unrepaired. Reconstruction was started in 1947 and completed in 1948 with most of its pre-war grandeur and beauty restored. In 1973, Diplomat Hotels, Inc. acquired ownership, remodeled the interior into a 33-bedroom hotel with modern facilities, but retained the unique and distinct personality of the Dominican Hill. In the 80's the hotel ceased operations due to the death of one of its majority stockholders. Plans are underway to develop this historical religious landmark into a tourist resort.

Philippine Military Academy

PMAThe Philippine Commission promulgated Act No. 175, which became the basis for the creation of the Philippine Constabulary in August 8, 1905. The school for the officers of the constabulary was first located in Sta. Lucia Barracks in Manila. Later in 1908, it was relocated in Baguio on the site known as Constabulary Hill later renamed Camp Henry T. Allen, in honor of the first chief of the Philippine Constabulary. With the passage of the Jones Law, the school was later changed to "Academy for Officers of the Philippine Constabulary" with a two-year curriculum. In 1908, the course was raised to collegiate level and later lengthened to three years with class 1938 as having the last graduates of that course. When the commonwealth government was established in 1935, the Philippine Military Academy was created in place of the Philippine Constabulary Academy. Under the National Defense Act, the PMA was authorized to maintain cadet strength of 350. Because of increased population, the academy transferred to Teachers Camp in June 1936 where it remained until WWII broke out. After the war the PMA headquarters was temporarily relocated at Camp Murphy and later at Alabang, while Camp Allen was being rehabilitated. Since May 1950 the Philippine Military Academy has found its permanent home at Fort del Pilar, Loakan, Baguio City.

The Mansion

The-Mansion-Baguio-CityThis imposing and majestic mansion has a long list of Filipino Presidents and American governor-generals. It has elegantly structured building and guesthouse. Its gate is patterned after that of London's Buckingham Palace. The Mansion has also been the site of several international conferences and a working office of the President of the Philippines during his visits to the City.

Camp John Hay

camp-john-hay-amphitheaterThis former American recreational facility is currently undergoing development as a world class resort. As of March 27, 1999, the golf course was completed and is now open, The skating rink, picnic area, and the mini golf course at the Scout Hill area are likewise open.

Asin Hot Spring

Located 16 kilometers northwest of Baguio, the resort's main feature is a swimming pool surrounded by thermal springs, lush vegetation and several hanging bridges. It is an ideal respite. This is now eyed to be redeveloped into a tourism resort along with the adjoining tourist attractions of Tuba and Baguio.

Bell Church

The-Bell-Church-of-Baguio-CityThis cluster of temples is located on the border of Baguio City and Trinidad Valley. Its exotic oriental architecture, pagodas roof, ornate gateway, dragon ornaments and Buddha - guarded windows gaze from atop a hill. The Bell Temple priest practices a mixture of Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism, and Christianity. One may even try having his fortune told.

Burnham Park

Burnham-Park-BaguioIt is the oldest of all Baguio parks. One can unwind from the tension of the day-to-day bustle by biking, skating or simply reflecting on the day's experiences amid a soothing garden backdrop of colorful flowers. It is thickly wooded and is a great place to have picnics and concerts. There are tennis and basketball courts, a football field, athletic oval and an orchidarium.

Mines View Park

Mines-View-Park-Baguio-CityAppropriately named for its breathtaking view of Benguet's mountain ranges where gold, silver and other ores were once quarried. There are souvenir shops around the park offering such items as woodcarvings, woven cloth, ashtrays, shell products and other curio items.

Wright Park

It is sometimes mistakenly called "Ride Park" by some that identify this pine tree park reserve for kiddy horse rides. A long stairway leads to the "Pool of the Pines", a 100 meter long pool of water lined on both sides by the famous Baguio towering pine.