Baguio Latest News

Groundwork for autonomy bill certification underway

BAGUIO CITY  – The tedious process for the certification of House Bill (HB) 5343 and Senate Bill (SB) 1678 or the bills that seek the establishment of an autonomous region in the Cordillera started to roll in the different offices in the Palace and Congress.


On March 8, 2018, Presidential Adviser on the Peace process Jesus G. Dureza issued a Memorandum to President Rodrigo R. Duterte through Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea requesting the Chief Executive to declare HB 5343 and SB 1678 as a priority legislative agenda of the administration since autonomy is the best option for the Cordillera to pursue sustainable social, cultural and economic development in the management and use of its natural resources based on the consultations conducted and documented by the Cordillera office of the National Economic and Development Authority (NEDA-CAR).

Assistant Secretary Jennifer Joy C. Ong of the Presidential Management Staff (PMS) referred Dureza’s Memorandum to Secretary Adelino B. Sitoy of the Presidential Legislative Liaison Office for the evaluation of the merits of the request considering all aspects of law, possible precedence and the utmost interest of the government and welfare of the people as a whole.

Subsequently, Sitoy referred the matter to Budget Secretary Benjamin Diokno and Interior and Local government Secretary Eduardo Año, Chairpersons of the Participatory Governance Cluster of the Cabinet, for possible consideration.

At the same time, Sitoy also referred the matter to House Speaker Pantaleon Alvarez and Senate President Aquilino Pimentel for their information and appropriate action.

In his letter to Secretary Sityo, Mayor Mauricio G. Domogan, who chairs the Cordillera Regional Development Council (RDC-CAR) and the Regional Peace and Order Council (RPOC-CAR), stated that the Cordillera is in support of the request of Presidential Peace Adviser Dureza to make HB 5343 and SB 1678 as a priority bill like what is happening with the Bangsamoro Basic Law (BBL) for Mindanao.

He underscored that in fact, Dureza’s request is the unanimous, collective and individual request of the RDC-CAR and the RPOC-CAR as well as the local government units of the region since the constitutional basis for the BBL is exactly the same constitutional basis for the region’s clamor for regional autonomy.

Secretary Dureza vowed to champion the region’s renewed quest for regional autonomy with the present administration because it is the appropriate time for the region to advance its quest for self-governance considering the enabling environment triggered by the President’s overwhelming support to the planned shift to federal form of government from the present unitary set up.

It can be recalled that during a meeting with Cordillera leaders in the palace on July 18, 2017, President Duterte assured them that he will certify the proposed autonomy bill of the Cordillera as an urgent priority administration measure similar to what will be done with the BBL.

However, Secretary Dureza explained that the President will certify whatever will be the outputs of the House and Senate committees on local government on the contents of the autonomy bill in the coming months. By HENT


Baguio Tourist Attractions

Marker of the Philippine Commission's First Session in Baguio

This is the site of the building where the members of the Philippine Commission met from April 22 to June 11, 1904 and officially initiated the use of Baguio as the Philippine Summer Capital. The Commission was composed of Governor General Luke Wright, president, and Commissioners Henry Ide, Dean C. Worcester, T Padre Tavera, Benito Legarda, Jose de Luzuriaga, James Smith and Cameron Forbes.

Kennon Road and its Builder

Tourist-Spots-in-BaguioNamed after Col. Lyman W. Kennon, who was the final builder of the famous Benguet road, with the help of the industrious Cordillerans and foreign workers. Kennon road is the shortest and the most scenic highway linking Baguio and the lowlands. The lion's head can be found along the way. Final construction of this road was finished in 1903. Col. L. Kennon first ascended to Baguio in 1905. Of the original workers, the Igorots and Japanese were admired for their trustworthiness and willingness to work. Kennon was closed to traffic after the July 16, 1990 earthquake. It is now open to light vehicles only.

Diplomat Hotel on Dominican Hill

diplomatIn May 1911, the councils of the Province of the Dominican Order voted to construct a vacation house in Baguio on a 17-hectare property they had acquired when the American authorities were encouraging people to come here. Actual work started in 1913 under Fr. Roque Ruano and the building was inaugurated on May 23, 1925. To take advantage of the tax exemptions a school called Collegio del Santissimo Rosario was opened in June 1915 but due to the very small enrollment the school closed in 1917, reverting the building to the original vacation house. During WWII refugees first occupied it. Later the Japanese Army Liberation Forces had to bomb out the refugees from the buildings. The five hits left very extensive damage and for a time it was left unrepaired. Reconstruction was started in 1947 and completed in 1948 with most of its pre-war grandeur and beauty restored. In 1973, Diplomat Hotels, Inc. acquired ownership, remodeled the interior into a 33-bedroom hotel with modern facilities, but retained the unique and distinct personality of the Dominican Hill. In the 80's the hotel ceased operations due to the death of one of its majority stockholders. Plans are underway to develop this historical religious landmark into a tourist resort.

Philippine Military Academy

PMAThe Philippine Commission promulgated Act No. 175, which became the basis for the creation of the Philippine Constabulary in August 8, 1905. The school for the officers of the constabulary was first located in Sta. Lucia Barracks in Manila. Later in 1908, it was relocated in Baguio on the site known as Constabulary Hill later renamed Camp Henry T. Allen, in honor of the first chief of the Philippine Constabulary. With the passage of the Jones Law, the school was later changed to "Academy for Officers of the Philippine Constabulary" with a two-year curriculum. In 1908, the course was raised to collegiate level and later lengthened to three years with class 1938 as having the last graduates of that course. When the commonwealth government was established in 1935, the Philippine Military Academy was created in place of the Philippine Constabulary Academy. Under the National Defense Act, the PMA was authorized to maintain cadet strength of 350. Because of increased population, the academy transferred to Teachers Camp in June 1936 where it remained until WWII broke out. After the war the PMA headquarters was temporarily relocated at Camp Murphy and later at Alabang, while Camp Allen was being rehabilitated. Since May 1950 the Philippine Military Academy has found its permanent home at Fort del Pilar, Loakan, Baguio City.

The Mansion

The-Mansion-Baguio-CityThis imposing and majestic mansion has a long list of Filipino Presidents and American governor-generals. It has elegantly structured building and guesthouse. Its gate is patterned after that of London's Buckingham Palace. The Mansion has also been the site of several international conferences and a working office of the President of the Philippines during his visits to the City.

Camp John Hay

camp-john-hay-amphitheaterThis former American recreational facility is currently undergoing development as a world class resort. As of March 27, 1999, the golf course was completed and is now open, The skating rink, picnic area, and the mini golf course at the Scout Hill area are likewise open.

Asin Hot Spring

Located 16 kilometers northwest of Baguio, the resort's main feature is a swimming pool surrounded by thermal springs, lush vegetation and several hanging bridges. It is an ideal respite. This is now eyed to be redeveloped into a tourism resort along with the adjoining tourist attractions of Tuba and Baguio.

Bell Church

The-Bell-Church-of-Baguio-CityThis cluster of temples is located on the border of Baguio City and Trinidad Valley. Its exotic oriental architecture, pagodas roof, ornate gateway, dragon ornaments and Buddha - guarded windows gaze from atop a hill. The Bell Temple priest practices a mixture of Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism, and Christianity. One may even try having his fortune told.

Burnham Park

Burnham-Park-BaguioIt is the oldest of all Baguio parks. One can unwind from the tension of the day-to-day bustle by biking, skating or simply reflecting on the day's experiences amid a soothing garden backdrop of colorful flowers. It is thickly wooded and is a great place to have picnics and concerts. There are tennis and basketball courts, a football field, athletic oval and an orchidarium.

Mines View Park

Mines-View-Park-Baguio-CityAppropriately named for its breathtaking view of Benguet's mountain ranges where gold, silver and other ores were once quarried. There are souvenir shops around the park offering such items as woodcarvings, woven cloth, ashtrays, shell products and other curio items.

Wright Park

It is sometimes mistakenly called "Ride Park" by some that identify this pine tree park reserve for kiddy horse rides. A long stairway leads to the "Pool of the Pines", a 100 meter long pool of water lined on both sides by the famous Baguio towering pine.