Baguio Latest News

Baguio transfer station can be a model

BAGUIO CITY  – The city’s temporary transfer station at the Baguio Dairy Farm could become a model transfer station in the country once all the necessary amenities of the facility shall have been put in place by the local government, an official of the Cordillera office of the Environmental Management Bureau (EMB-CAR) said here recently.

 

EMB-CAR regional director Reynaldo S. Digamo said the local government has been fully compliant to the imposed terms and conditions for the temporary operation of its staging area as per close monitoring conducted by the agency’s assigned personnel.

He explained that the facility could become a model once the chute wherein the city’s garbage trucks will directly transfer the collected residual waste to the hauler’s trucks will be operational and the pavement of the facility will be concreted to prevent the muddy situation in the area once it rains.

“We believe the local government is doing everything possible to comply with the prescribed terms and conditions while it is finalizing its options for the identification of the permanent site of its integrated solid waste facility in the Antamok open pit area that will effectively and efficiently address its garbage disposal problem,” Digamo stressed.

The EMB-CAR official claimed the presence of garbage in the area is because of the fact that the turnaround of the city’s garbage trucks is shorter compared to the turnaround time of the hauler’s trucks bringing the city’s residual waste to the Urdaneta sanitary landfill.

However, he pointed out that based on their monitoring, the garbage in the area does not exist there for over 24 hours as earlier stipulated in the conditions imposed for the operation of the facility because the trucks of the hauler immediately haul out the residual waste being brought to the facility within the agreed period.

According to him, the operation of the chute will guarantee the full compliance of the local government to the no touch ground policy because it will be the city’s garbage trucks that will be dumping the collected residual waste to the hauler’s trucks situated below it.

Further, Dgamo disclosed that one truck of the hauler could handle the garbage coming from three garbage trucks that collect the residual waste from the different pick up points in the city’s 128 barangays during the scheduled collection days and time.

He added that it was also recommended by the monitoring team that the Tuba municipal government assign a personnel who will be part of the team to strictly monitor the compliance of the local government to the prescribed conditions for the temporary operation of the facility, thus, the agency is awaiting the recommendation of Tuba Mayor Ignacio Rivera on the personnel to be assigned as a member of the monitoring team in the area.

Digamo stated the local government is doing its best to find a suitable site for the establishment of its proposed integrated solid waste disposal facility considering the inadequate land area available in the city for the said purpose, thus, the agency is extending the necessary assistance for the identification of the area and the processing of the pertinent permits and clearances relative thereto.

Earlier, the agriculture department allowed the local government to use a 1-hectare portion of the Baguio Dairy Farm for the operation of its temporary staging area for the hauling of its residual waste outside the city. By Dexter A. See

 

Baguio Tourist Attractions

Marker of the Philippine Commission's First Session in Baguio

This is the site of the building where the members of the Philippine Commission met from April 22 to June 11, 1904 and officially initiated the use of Baguio as the Philippine Summer Capital. The Commission was composed of Governor General Luke Wright, president, and Commissioners Henry Ide, Dean C. Worcester, T Padre Tavera, Benito Legarda, Jose de Luzuriaga, James Smith and Cameron Forbes.

Kennon Road and its Builder

Tourist-Spots-in-BaguioNamed after Col. Lyman W. Kennon, who was the final builder of the famous Benguet road, with the help of the industrious Cordillerans and foreign workers. Kennon road is the shortest and the most scenic highway linking Baguio and the lowlands. The lion's head can be found along the way. Final construction of this road was finished in 1903. Col. L. Kennon first ascended to Baguio in 1905. Of the original workers, the Igorots and Japanese were admired for their trustworthiness and willingness to work. Kennon was closed to traffic after the July 16, 1990 earthquake. It is now open to light vehicles only.

Diplomat Hotel on Dominican Hill

diplomatIn May 1911, the councils of the Province of the Dominican Order voted to construct a vacation house in Baguio on a 17-hectare property they had acquired when the American authorities were encouraging people to come here. Actual work started in 1913 under Fr. Roque Ruano and the building was inaugurated on May 23, 1925. To take advantage of the tax exemptions a school called Collegio del Santissimo Rosario was opened in June 1915 but due to the very small enrollment the school closed in 1917, reverting the building to the original vacation house. During WWII refugees first occupied it. Later the Japanese Army Liberation Forces had to bomb out the refugees from the buildings. The five hits left very extensive damage and for a time it was left unrepaired. Reconstruction was started in 1947 and completed in 1948 with most of its pre-war grandeur and beauty restored. In 1973, Diplomat Hotels, Inc. acquired ownership, remodeled the interior into a 33-bedroom hotel with modern facilities, but retained the unique and distinct personality of the Dominican Hill. In the 80's the hotel ceased operations due to the death of one of its majority stockholders. Plans are underway to develop this historical religious landmark into a tourist resort.

Philippine Military Academy

PMAThe Philippine Commission promulgated Act No. 175, which became the basis for the creation of the Philippine Constabulary in August 8, 1905. The school for the officers of the constabulary was first located in Sta. Lucia Barracks in Manila. Later in 1908, it was relocated in Baguio on the site known as Constabulary Hill later renamed Camp Henry T. Allen, in honor of the first chief of the Philippine Constabulary. With the passage of the Jones Law, the school was later changed to "Academy for Officers of the Philippine Constabulary" with a two-year curriculum. In 1908, the course was raised to collegiate level and later lengthened to three years with class 1938 as having the last graduates of that course. When the commonwealth government was established in 1935, the Philippine Military Academy was created in place of the Philippine Constabulary Academy. Under the National Defense Act, the PMA was authorized to maintain cadet strength of 350. Because of increased population, the academy transferred to Teachers Camp in June 1936 where it remained until WWII broke out. After the war the PMA headquarters was temporarily relocated at Camp Murphy and later at Alabang, while Camp Allen was being rehabilitated. Since May 1950 the Philippine Military Academy has found its permanent home at Fort del Pilar, Loakan, Baguio City.

The Mansion

The-Mansion-Baguio-CityThis imposing and majestic mansion has a long list of Filipino Presidents and American governor-generals. It has elegantly structured building and guesthouse. Its gate is patterned after that of London's Buckingham Palace. The Mansion has also been the site of several international conferences and a working office of the President of the Philippines during his visits to the City.

Camp John Hay

camp-john-hay-amphitheaterThis former American recreational facility is currently undergoing development as a world class resort. As of March 27, 1999, the golf course was completed and is now open, The skating rink, picnic area, and the mini golf course at the Scout Hill area are likewise open.

Asin Hot Spring

Located 16 kilometers northwest of Baguio, the resort's main feature is a swimming pool surrounded by thermal springs, lush vegetation and several hanging bridges. It is an ideal respite. This is now eyed to be redeveloped into a tourism resort along with the adjoining tourist attractions of Tuba and Baguio.

Bell Church

The-Bell-Church-of-Baguio-CityThis cluster of temples is located on the border of Baguio City and Trinidad Valley. Its exotic oriental architecture, pagodas roof, ornate gateway, dragon ornaments and Buddha - guarded windows gaze from atop a hill. The Bell Temple priest practices a mixture of Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism, and Christianity. One may even try having his fortune told.

Burnham Park

Burnham-Park-BaguioIt is the oldest of all Baguio parks. One can unwind from the tension of the day-to-day bustle by biking, skating or simply reflecting on the day's experiences amid a soothing garden backdrop of colorful flowers. It is thickly wooded and is a great place to have picnics and concerts. There are tennis and basketball courts, a football field, athletic oval and an orchidarium.

Mines View Park

Mines-View-Park-Baguio-CityAppropriately named for its breathtaking view of Benguet's mountain ranges where gold, silver and other ores were once quarried. There are souvenir shops around the park offering such items as woodcarvings, woven cloth, ashtrays, shell products and other curio items.

Wright Park

It is sometimes mistakenly called "Ride Park" by some that identify this pine tree park reserve for kiddy horse rides. A long stairway leads to the "Pool of the Pines", a 100 meter long pool of water lined on both sides by the famous Baguio towering pine.