Baguio Latest News

COMELEC, PNP and AFP heightens security preparations for May 14 Barangay and SK election in CAR

BAGUIO CITY, Apr. 4 (PIA) - - The Commission on Election  convened officials of the Philippine National Police and the Armed Forces of the Philippines in an initial meeting for the Joint Security Control Center Command Conference at the COMELEC Regional Office here, in preparation for the scheduled May 18 Barangay and Sangguniang Kabataan elections.

 

COMELEC – CAR Regional Director Atty. Julius Torres, in the said fora assured that their office will do their best to perform their mandate and at the same time expressed his  gratitude for the presence of the top officials of the Police Regional Office – Cordillera (PRO – Cor) and the AFPs 5th and 7th Infantry Brigade, as he outlined the important role they play in ensuring a peaceful and orderly elections in the region.

Torres defined that barangay  and SK elections may not have the bigger impact compared to national elections, there is no place to be complacent because with relatives and neighbours competing with each other, it makes it more personal and more intense.

PRO – Cor Regional Director PCSupt Edward Carranza assured full PNP support in ensuring a peaceful and orderly election in the region and he also directed all Provincial/City police directors in the region to make sure that no PNP personnel are stationed in the area where they have a relative (up to fourth degree of consanguinity) running for a barangay or SK post.

“I do not want our police to be involved in violating election or COMELEC law, it is your command responsibility,” he stressed.

For the AFP’s part, BGen Alden Juan Masagca of the 5th Infantry Division and MGen Felimon Santos of the 7th Infantry Division also assured full support for ensuring a safe and orderly election in Cordillera.

For the said command conference, PRO – Cor Regional operations and Plans Division chief  PSSUpt. Homer Penecilla provided a presentation on the PNP’s peace and order and security concerns report, while for the AFP, BGen Leopoldo Imbang of the 503rd Infantry Brigade of 5th ID and LTC Jeaire Boy Famunial of the 24th IB battalion of the 7th ID reported their counterparts, including the possible threat of CNT (Communists, NPA and Terrorists).

COMELEC – CAR Asst. Regional Director Atty. Vanessa Mico – Roncal, meantime, outlined that the May 14 barangay and SK election will involve manual voting and counting, wherein counting of ballots will also be done inside the precincts and canvassing, as well as proclamation of winners will be held in the same venue (the respective precincts or school premises or barangay voting place).

At most, there will be 16 elected officials, eight each for the barangay and SK positions, while for voting procedures, those 15 to 17 registered voters can only elect SK candidates, then those 18 to 30 can elect both SK and barangay candidates, while those 31 years old and above will only vote candidates for barangay officials.

During the command conference,  COMELEC  also provided lectures on the election rules/procedures on gun ban, provision of check point and on preliminary investigation on election-related violations.

The election period will be from April 14 to May 21 and all Omnibus election rules and laws will be effective then, Roncal added.  Alma L. Tingcang (ALT/CCD/PIA CAR)

 

Baguio Tourist Attractions

Marker of the Philippine Commission's First Session in Baguio

This is the site of the building where the members of the Philippine Commission met from April 22 to June 11, 1904 and officially initiated the use of Baguio as the Philippine Summer Capital. The Commission was composed of Governor General Luke Wright, president, and Commissioners Henry Ide, Dean C. Worcester, T Padre Tavera, Benito Legarda, Jose de Luzuriaga, James Smith and Cameron Forbes.

Kennon Road and its Builder

Tourist-Spots-in-BaguioNamed after Col. Lyman W. Kennon, who was the final builder of the famous Benguet road, with the help of the industrious Cordillerans and foreign workers. Kennon road is the shortest and the most scenic highway linking Baguio and the lowlands. The lion's head can be found along the way. Final construction of this road was finished in 1903. Col. L. Kennon first ascended to Baguio in 1905. Of the original workers, the Igorots and Japanese were admired for their trustworthiness and willingness to work. Kennon was closed to traffic after the July 16, 1990 earthquake. It is now open to light vehicles only.

Diplomat Hotel on Dominican Hill

diplomatIn May 1911, the councils of the Province of the Dominican Order voted to construct a vacation house in Baguio on a 17-hectare property they had acquired when the American authorities were encouraging people to come here. Actual work started in 1913 under Fr. Roque Ruano and the building was inaugurated on May 23, 1925. To take advantage of the tax exemptions a school called Collegio del Santissimo Rosario was opened in June 1915 but due to the very small enrollment the school closed in 1917, reverting the building to the original vacation house. During WWII refugees first occupied it. Later the Japanese Army Liberation Forces had to bomb out the refugees from the buildings. The five hits left very extensive damage and for a time it was left unrepaired. Reconstruction was started in 1947 and completed in 1948 with most of its pre-war grandeur and beauty restored. In 1973, Diplomat Hotels, Inc. acquired ownership, remodeled the interior into a 33-bedroom hotel with modern facilities, but retained the unique and distinct personality of the Dominican Hill. In the 80's the hotel ceased operations due to the death of one of its majority stockholders. Plans are underway to develop this historical religious landmark into a tourist resort.

Philippine Military Academy

PMAThe Philippine Commission promulgated Act No. 175, which became the basis for the creation of the Philippine Constabulary in August 8, 1905. The school for the officers of the constabulary was first located in Sta. Lucia Barracks in Manila. Later in 1908, it was relocated in Baguio on the site known as Constabulary Hill later renamed Camp Henry T. Allen, in honor of the first chief of the Philippine Constabulary. With the passage of the Jones Law, the school was later changed to "Academy for Officers of the Philippine Constabulary" with a two-year curriculum. In 1908, the course was raised to collegiate level and later lengthened to three years with class 1938 as having the last graduates of that course. When the commonwealth government was established in 1935, the Philippine Military Academy was created in place of the Philippine Constabulary Academy. Under the National Defense Act, the PMA was authorized to maintain cadet strength of 350. Because of increased population, the academy transferred to Teachers Camp in June 1936 where it remained until WWII broke out. After the war the PMA headquarters was temporarily relocated at Camp Murphy and later at Alabang, while Camp Allen was being rehabilitated. Since May 1950 the Philippine Military Academy has found its permanent home at Fort del Pilar, Loakan, Baguio City.

The Mansion

The-Mansion-Baguio-CityThis imposing and majestic mansion has a long list of Filipino Presidents and American governor-generals. It has elegantly structured building and guesthouse. Its gate is patterned after that of London's Buckingham Palace. The Mansion has also been the site of several international conferences and a working office of the President of the Philippines during his visits to the City.

Camp John Hay

camp-john-hay-amphitheaterThis former American recreational facility is currently undergoing development as a world class resort. As of March 27, 1999, the golf course was completed and is now open, The skating rink, picnic area, and the mini golf course at the Scout Hill area are likewise open.

Asin Hot Spring

Located 16 kilometers northwest of Baguio, the resort's main feature is a swimming pool surrounded by thermal springs, lush vegetation and several hanging bridges. It is an ideal respite. This is now eyed to be redeveloped into a tourism resort along with the adjoining tourist attractions of Tuba and Baguio.

Bell Church

The-Bell-Church-of-Baguio-CityThis cluster of temples is located on the border of Baguio City and Trinidad Valley. Its exotic oriental architecture, pagodas roof, ornate gateway, dragon ornaments and Buddha - guarded windows gaze from atop a hill. The Bell Temple priest practices a mixture of Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism, and Christianity. One may even try having his fortune told.

Burnham Park

Burnham-Park-BaguioIt is the oldest of all Baguio parks. One can unwind from the tension of the day-to-day bustle by biking, skating or simply reflecting on the day's experiences amid a soothing garden backdrop of colorful flowers. It is thickly wooded and is a great place to have picnics and concerts. There are tennis and basketball courts, a football field, athletic oval and an orchidarium.

Mines View Park

Mines-View-Park-Baguio-CityAppropriately named for its breathtaking view of Benguet's mountain ranges where gold, silver and other ores were once quarried. There are souvenir shops around the park offering such items as woodcarvings, woven cloth, ashtrays, shell products and other curio items.

Wright Park

It is sometimes mistakenly called "Ride Park" by some that identify this pine tree park reserve for kiddy horse rides. A long stairway leads to the "Pool of the Pines", a 100 meter long pool of water lined on both sides by the famous Baguio towering pine.