Baguio Latest News

P20 million earmarked to purchase 4 garbage trucks

BAGUIO CITY  – Some P20 million was earmarked by the local government in its annual budget this year for the purchase of additional four more garbage trucks to augment the city’s current fleet that will contribute in efforts to improve the collection of garbage in the 128 barangays.


City General Services Officer Eugene Buyucan, who was one of the guests during the monthly City Hall Hour press briefing held at the Baguio City multipurpose hall Tuesday, said the budget will only be enough for the additional 4 garbage trucks considering that one truck costs approximately P4.5 million.

Currently, the local government has 12 garbage trucks and 2 compactors that operate round the clock to guarantee the collection of garbage in the different barangays during the scheduled collection days while the city needs at least 25 garbage trucks to be able to operate on a 2-truck system in the collection of biodegradable and non-biodegradable waste from the staging points around the city.

“The local government will continue to invest in the purchase of additional garbage trucks in the coming years so that we will be able to reduce the operating hours of the existing fleet and help prevent the rapid deterioration of the serviceable garbage trucks that are over ten years old,” Buyucan stressed.

Under the proposed 2-truck system, one truck will be devoted to collect biodegradable waste while another truck will be devoted to collect non-biodegradable waste but the said trucks will go to the barangays to collect the waste simultaneously to prevent the occurrence of garbage crisis in the city in the future.

According to him, the practice is that the city’s garbage trucks which are capable of hauling some 6 to 8 tons of garbage from the barangays bring the collected garbage to the temporary staging area within the portion of the Baguio Dairy Farm where the trucks dump the collected garbage to the trucks of the hauler which are capable of handling more than 20 tons of garbage before it will be compacted and brought to the sanitary landfill in Urdaneta City, Pangasinan.

Buyucan underscored that the local government is strictly adhering to the no touch ground policy being imposed by the Department of Agriculture (DA) and the Environmental Management Bureau (EMB) pursuant to the temporary permits issued for the temporary use of the 1-hectare portion of the Baguio Dairy  Farm as the city’s temporary staging area in response to the clamor of residents living around the area regarding the alleged obnoxious odor emanating from the garbage being transferred from the city’s garbage trucks to the hauler’s trucks before being transported outside the city.

If there are residual waste that are left out in the area because of unavoidable reasons, he claimed that the garbage that was left will not be allowed to be in the staging area for over 24 hours, thus, the personnel of the local government and the hauler are vigilant in making sure that there will be no garbage that will be unnecessarily left out in the place. The general services officer rallied residents to improve their compliance to the no segregation, no collection policy to help in significantly reducing the volume of waste being hauled out of the city and save the necessary amount of money that was earmarked for the purpose.

By Dexter A. See


Baguio Tourist Attractions

Marker of the Philippine Commission's First Session in Baguio

This is the site of the building where the members of the Philippine Commission met from April 22 to June 11, 1904 and officially initiated the use of Baguio as the Philippine Summer Capital. The Commission was composed of Governor General Luke Wright, president, and Commissioners Henry Ide, Dean C. Worcester, T Padre Tavera, Benito Legarda, Jose de Luzuriaga, James Smith and Cameron Forbes.

Kennon Road and its Builder

Tourist-Spots-in-BaguioNamed after Col. Lyman W. Kennon, who was the final builder of the famous Benguet road, with the help of the industrious Cordillerans and foreign workers. Kennon road is the shortest and the most scenic highway linking Baguio and the lowlands. The lion's head can be found along the way. Final construction of this road was finished in 1903. Col. L. Kennon first ascended to Baguio in 1905. Of the original workers, the Igorots and Japanese were admired for their trustworthiness and willingness to work. Kennon was closed to traffic after the July 16, 1990 earthquake. It is now open to light vehicles only.

Diplomat Hotel on Dominican Hill

diplomatIn May 1911, the councils of the Province of the Dominican Order voted to construct a vacation house in Baguio on a 17-hectare property they had acquired when the American authorities were encouraging people to come here. Actual work started in 1913 under Fr. Roque Ruano and the building was inaugurated on May 23, 1925. To take advantage of the tax exemptions a school called Collegio del Santissimo Rosario was opened in June 1915 but due to the very small enrollment the school closed in 1917, reverting the building to the original vacation house. During WWII refugees first occupied it. Later the Japanese Army Liberation Forces had to bomb out the refugees from the buildings. The five hits left very extensive damage and for a time it was left unrepaired. Reconstruction was started in 1947 and completed in 1948 with most of its pre-war grandeur and beauty restored. In 1973, Diplomat Hotels, Inc. acquired ownership, remodeled the interior into a 33-bedroom hotel with modern facilities, but retained the unique and distinct personality of the Dominican Hill. In the 80's the hotel ceased operations due to the death of one of its majority stockholders. Plans are underway to develop this historical religious landmark into a tourist resort.

Philippine Military Academy

PMAThe Philippine Commission promulgated Act No. 175, which became the basis for the creation of the Philippine Constabulary in August 8, 1905. The school for the officers of the constabulary was first located in Sta. Lucia Barracks in Manila. Later in 1908, it was relocated in Baguio on the site known as Constabulary Hill later renamed Camp Henry T. Allen, in honor of the first chief of the Philippine Constabulary. With the passage of the Jones Law, the school was later changed to "Academy for Officers of the Philippine Constabulary" with a two-year curriculum. In 1908, the course was raised to collegiate level and later lengthened to three years with class 1938 as having the last graduates of that course. When the commonwealth government was established in 1935, the Philippine Military Academy was created in place of the Philippine Constabulary Academy. Under the National Defense Act, the PMA was authorized to maintain cadet strength of 350. Because of increased population, the academy transferred to Teachers Camp in June 1936 where it remained until WWII broke out. After the war the PMA headquarters was temporarily relocated at Camp Murphy and later at Alabang, while Camp Allen was being rehabilitated. Since May 1950 the Philippine Military Academy has found its permanent home at Fort del Pilar, Loakan, Baguio City.

The Mansion

The-Mansion-Baguio-CityThis imposing and majestic mansion has a long list of Filipino Presidents and American governor-generals. It has elegantly structured building and guesthouse. Its gate is patterned after that of London's Buckingham Palace. The Mansion has also been the site of several international conferences and a working office of the President of the Philippines during his visits to the City.

Camp John Hay

camp-john-hay-amphitheaterThis former American recreational facility is currently undergoing development as a world class resort. As of March 27, 1999, the golf course was completed and is now open, The skating rink, picnic area, and the mini golf course at the Scout Hill area are likewise open.

Asin Hot Spring

Located 16 kilometers northwest of Baguio, the resort's main feature is a swimming pool surrounded by thermal springs, lush vegetation and several hanging bridges. It is an ideal respite. This is now eyed to be redeveloped into a tourism resort along with the adjoining tourist attractions of Tuba and Baguio.

Bell Church

The-Bell-Church-of-Baguio-CityThis cluster of temples is located on the border of Baguio City and Trinidad Valley. Its exotic oriental architecture, pagodas roof, ornate gateway, dragon ornaments and Buddha - guarded windows gaze from atop a hill. The Bell Temple priest practices a mixture of Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism, and Christianity. One may even try having his fortune told.

Burnham Park

Burnham-Park-BaguioIt is the oldest of all Baguio parks. One can unwind from the tension of the day-to-day bustle by biking, skating or simply reflecting on the day's experiences amid a soothing garden backdrop of colorful flowers. It is thickly wooded and is a great place to have picnics and concerts. There are tennis and basketball courts, a football field, athletic oval and an orchidarium.

Mines View Park

Mines-View-Park-Baguio-CityAppropriately named for its breathtaking view of Benguet's mountain ranges where gold, silver and other ores were once quarried. There are souvenir shops around the park offering such items as woodcarvings, woven cloth, ashtrays, shell products and other curio items.

Wright Park

It is sometimes mistakenly called "Ride Park" by some that identify this pine tree park reserve for kiddy horse rides. A long stairway leads to the "Pool of the Pines", a 100 meter long pool of water lined on both sides by the famous Baguio towering pine.