Baguio Latest News

Mayor orders dismantling of gambling equipment in Burnham

BAGUIO CITY– Mayor Mauricio G. Domogan ordered the immediate dismantling of different gambling equipment that were put in place by the operator of the carnival situated within a portion of the children’s playground in response to the numerous complaints raised by the public against the purported gambling activities in the said area.

 

The local chief executive argued whether or not the transactions are done through tokens or cash, the lag-lag barya or piso-piso game is still considered as gambling that is why the same is prohibited, thus, the need for the concerned offices of the local government to dismantle all the existing gambling equipment present in the carnival site.

“We have to strictly adhere to what has been agreed upon as the terms for the carnival operation. Gambling in any form is actually not allowed, especially that it is done in front of the children who are not supposed to be exposed to such kind of activity because it will definitely affect their perception of what is a carnival,” Domogan stressed.

Concerned citizens posted in the social media photographs and footages of the alleged gambling activities being done in the carnival site which was in clear violation of the terms and conditions of the authority granted to the operator of the carnival in the area.

Part of the documented illegal activities in the carnival site were children allegedly patronizing the lag-lag barya or piso piso game which runs counter to the provisions of the agreement that only amusement rides will be allowed in the place.

According to him, the cooperation of the public in monitoring the conduct of illegal activities in the different parts of the city is very important because they can see around them what is happening, thus, the need for people to be vigilant about what is happening in the different places around the city and for them to provide city officials with the needed feedback for them to make the appropriate actions right in time.

He claimed strict monitoring will be done by concerned authorities regarding the carnival operation in Burnham Park so that any resurgence of gambling activities could immediately be acted upon and prevent the children from being exposed to such illegal activities in the area.

The Manila-based amusement operator was granted by the city’s local legislative body 90 days to operate a carnival that will focus purely on wholesome and family-oriented rides to help provide added attractions for residents and visitors to frequent the city’s premier park.

Under the terms and conditions of the agreement, the operator is obliged to pay to the local government at least P500,000 for the lease of the area aside from posting a bond which will only be released after the City Environment and Parks Management Office (CEPMO) shall have certified that there were no damages in the site.

Based on the proposal of the operator submitted to the local legislative body, the allowed activities in the carnival site will be wholesome and family-oriented rides, entertainment for the public, among other activities that provide entertainment to the people visiting the area.

Domogan warned the operator that the local government will be forced to cut short the operation of the carnival once the gambling activities will again resume which will be in gross violation of the agreement.

By Dexter A. See

 

Baguio Tourist Attractions

Marker of the Philippine Commission's First Session in Baguio

This is the site of the building where the members of the Philippine Commission met from April 22 to June 11, 1904 and officially initiated the use of Baguio as the Philippine Summer Capital. The Commission was composed of Governor General Luke Wright, president, and Commissioners Henry Ide, Dean C. Worcester, T Padre Tavera, Benito Legarda, Jose de Luzuriaga, James Smith and Cameron Forbes.

Kennon Road and its Builder

Tourist-Spots-in-BaguioNamed after Col. Lyman W. Kennon, who was the final builder of the famous Benguet road, with the help of the industrious Cordillerans and foreign workers. Kennon road is the shortest and the most scenic highway linking Baguio and the lowlands. The lion's head can be found along the way. Final construction of this road was finished in 1903. Col. L. Kennon first ascended to Baguio in 1905. Of the original workers, the Igorots and Japanese were admired for their trustworthiness and willingness to work. Kennon was closed to traffic after the July 16, 1990 earthquake. It is now open to light vehicles only.

Diplomat Hotel on Dominican Hill

diplomatIn May 1911, the councils of the Province of the Dominican Order voted to construct a vacation house in Baguio on a 17-hectare property they had acquired when the American authorities were encouraging people to come here. Actual work started in 1913 under Fr. Roque Ruano and the building was inaugurated on May 23, 1925. To take advantage of the tax exemptions a school called Collegio del Santissimo Rosario was opened in June 1915 but due to the very small enrollment the school closed in 1917, reverting the building to the original vacation house. During WWII refugees first occupied it. Later the Japanese Army Liberation Forces had to bomb out the refugees from the buildings. The five hits left very extensive damage and for a time it was left unrepaired. Reconstruction was started in 1947 and completed in 1948 with most of its pre-war grandeur and beauty restored. In 1973, Diplomat Hotels, Inc. acquired ownership, remodeled the interior into a 33-bedroom hotel with modern facilities, but retained the unique and distinct personality of the Dominican Hill. In the 80's the hotel ceased operations due to the death of one of its majority stockholders. Plans are underway to develop this historical religious landmark into a tourist resort.

Philippine Military Academy

PMAThe Philippine Commission promulgated Act No. 175, which became the basis for the creation of the Philippine Constabulary in August 8, 1905. The school for the officers of the constabulary was first located in Sta. Lucia Barracks in Manila. Later in 1908, it was relocated in Baguio on the site known as Constabulary Hill later renamed Camp Henry T. Allen, in honor of the first chief of the Philippine Constabulary. With the passage of the Jones Law, the school was later changed to "Academy for Officers of the Philippine Constabulary" with a two-year curriculum. In 1908, the course was raised to collegiate level and later lengthened to three years with class 1938 as having the last graduates of that course. When the commonwealth government was established in 1935, the Philippine Military Academy was created in place of the Philippine Constabulary Academy. Under the National Defense Act, the PMA was authorized to maintain cadet strength of 350. Because of increased population, the academy transferred to Teachers Camp in June 1936 where it remained until WWII broke out. After the war the PMA headquarters was temporarily relocated at Camp Murphy and later at Alabang, while Camp Allen was being rehabilitated. Since May 1950 the Philippine Military Academy has found its permanent home at Fort del Pilar, Loakan, Baguio City.

The Mansion

The-Mansion-Baguio-CityThis imposing and majestic mansion has a long list of Filipino Presidents and American governor-generals. It has elegantly structured building and guesthouse. Its gate is patterned after that of London's Buckingham Palace. The Mansion has also been the site of several international conferences and a working office of the President of the Philippines during his visits to the City.

Camp John Hay

camp-john-hay-amphitheaterThis former American recreational facility is currently undergoing development as a world class resort. As of March 27, 1999, the golf course was completed and is now open, The skating rink, picnic area, and the mini golf course at the Scout Hill area are likewise open.

Asin Hot Spring

Located 16 kilometers northwest of Baguio, the resort's main feature is a swimming pool surrounded by thermal springs, lush vegetation and several hanging bridges. It is an ideal respite. This is now eyed to be redeveloped into a tourism resort along with the adjoining tourist attractions of Tuba and Baguio.

Bell Church

The-Bell-Church-of-Baguio-CityThis cluster of temples is located on the border of Baguio City and Trinidad Valley. Its exotic oriental architecture, pagodas roof, ornate gateway, dragon ornaments and Buddha - guarded windows gaze from atop a hill. The Bell Temple priest practices a mixture of Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism, and Christianity. One may even try having his fortune told.

Burnham Park

Burnham-Park-BaguioIt is the oldest of all Baguio parks. One can unwind from the tension of the day-to-day bustle by biking, skating or simply reflecting on the day's experiences amid a soothing garden backdrop of colorful flowers. It is thickly wooded and is a great place to have picnics and concerts. There are tennis and basketball courts, a football field, athletic oval and an orchidarium.

Mines View Park

Mines-View-Park-Baguio-CityAppropriately named for its breathtaking view of Benguet's mountain ranges where gold, silver and other ores were once quarried. There are souvenir shops around the park offering such items as woodcarvings, woven cloth, ashtrays, shell products and other curio items.

Wright Park

It is sometimes mistakenly called "Ride Park" by some that identify this pine tree park reserve for kiddy horse rides. A long stairway leads to the "Pool of the Pines", a 100 meter long pool of water lined on both sides by the famous Baguio towering pine.