Baguio Latest News

Baguio City recognizes 5 women leaders of 2018

BAGUIO CITY, March 12 (PIA) -- Five women leaders were recognized as 2018 Outstanding Women Leaders of Baguio for their contributions to the development of various sectors in the city.

 

As the highlight of the celebration of the National Women’s Month with the theme “Making Change Work  For Women,” the Baguio City Government and the Outstanding Women Leaders of Baguio awarded Ms. Philian Louise Weygan- Allan for Spiritual and Socio-cultural Leadership, Ms. Flora Dolor Balaba for Highlighting the Rights of Senior Citizens, Ms. Elizabeth Nattong Mamanglo for the Upliftment of Women and Family through Cooperativism, Ms. Jocelyn Lardizabal Mariano for Cooperativism, and Ms. Sonia Gonzales Mina for Organizational Management.

Former Baguio Councilor   Weygan -Allan is currently the president of Baguio School of Business Technology College, Secretary of the Baguio-Benguet Ecumenical Group, and the Chairperson of the Committee on Christian Education and Evangelism of the Cathedral of the Resurrection. She was also the past Director of the Soroptomist International North-Central Luzon District. As a city Councilor from 2010 to 2013,   Allan was part of the rehabilitation of the Dominican Hill Project which has now been recognized as a national historical site by the National Historical Commission of the Philippines.

Balaba was a model civilian employee of the Armed Forces of the Philippines for 36 years. She continued serving the community after retirement as member of various civil society organizations. She   a also served as City Mayor for the Day and pushed for stricter implementation of Resolution 54 Series 2008 designating blue pedestrian lanes for senior citizens, persons with disability, and pregnant women. She pushed for geriatric care services in the city’s District Health Centers and designated parking lots for senior citizens.

Empowering IP women since 1985, Mamanglo co-founded the Mothers and Family Multi-Purpose Cooperative (MOFACO) which now has 6,000 members with more than Php.400 million assets. The cooperative with its 80%  indigenous  women membership started to help IP mothers who were then illegal ambulant vendors supplementing the incomes of their husbands who mostly worked in mines and construction. Aside from being an entrepreneur,   Mamanglo also advances local literature through her books like Hot and Cold Treats from the Mountains and Ifugao Tales.

 Mariano runs the Baguio-based Printing and Publishing Multi-Purpose Cooperative which is the only printing and publishing cooperative in Luzon. She has encouraged women to be involved in the publishing and printing business which was previously dominated by men. As a cooperative advocate, she is involved in various Baguio-Benguet based cooperatives like the Botanical Garden Small Vendors’ Livelihood Association.

Starting off as a civilian officer in the Human Resources Management of the military,   Gonzales Mina’s leadership and management won her the Model Civilian Supervisor of the Year Award of the Philippine Military Academy and the Outstanding Human Resource Management Officer of the Civil Service Commission. She continues to empower people around her by serving as a Human Rights Action Officer and a Kagawad of SLU-SVP. Her advocacy for adequate waiting areas for senior citizens, PWDs, and pregnant women in city drugstores earned her the Outstanding Senior Citizen Achiever Award.

The search for the Outstanding Women Leaders of Baguio involves various screening processes including nomination, validation, and a personal interview with the search committee. Jamie Joie P. Malingan (JDP/JPM-PIA CAR)

 

Baguio Tourist Attractions

Marker of the Philippine Commission's First Session in Baguio

This is the site of the building where the members of the Philippine Commission met from April 22 to June 11, 1904 and officially initiated the use of Baguio as the Philippine Summer Capital. The Commission was composed of Governor General Luke Wright, president, and Commissioners Henry Ide, Dean C. Worcester, T Padre Tavera, Benito Legarda, Jose de Luzuriaga, James Smith and Cameron Forbes.

Kennon Road and its Builder

Tourist-Spots-in-BaguioNamed after Col. Lyman W. Kennon, who was the final builder of the famous Benguet road, with the help of the industrious Cordillerans and foreign workers. Kennon road is the shortest and the most scenic highway linking Baguio and the lowlands. The lion's head can be found along the way. Final construction of this road was finished in 1903. Col. L. Kennon first ascended to Baguio in 1905. Of the original workers, the Igorots and Japanese were admired for their trustworthiness and willingness to work. Kennon was closed to traffic after the July 16, 1990 earthquake. It is now open to light vehicles only.

Diplomat Hotel on Dominican Hill

diplomatIn May 1911, the councils of the Province of the Dominican Order voted to construct a vacation house in Baguio on a 17-hectare property they had acquired when the American authorities were encouraging people to come here. Actual work started in 1913 under Fr. Roque Ruano and the building was inaugurated on May 23, 1925. To take advantage of the tax exemptions a school called Collegio del Santissimo Rosario was opened in June 1915 but due to the very small enrollment the school closed in 1917, reverting the building to the original vacation house. During WWII refugees first occupied it. Later the Japanese Army Liberation Forces had to bomb out the refugees from the buildings. The five hits left very extensive damage and for a time it was left unrepaired. Reconstruction was started in 1947 and completed in 1948 with most of its pre-war grandeur and beauty restored. In 1973, Diplomat Hotels, Inc. acquired ownership, remodeled the interior into a 33-bedroom hotel with modern facilities, but retained the unique and distinct personality of the Dominican Hill. In the 80's the hotel ceased operations due to the death of one of its majority stockholders. Plans are underway to develop this historical religious landmark into a tourist resort.

Philippine Military Academy

PMAThe Philippine Commission promulgated Act No. 175, which became the basis for the creation of the Philippine Constabulary in August 8, 1905. The school for the officers of the constabulary was first located in Sta. Lucia Barracks in Manila. Later in 1908, it was relocated in Baguio on the site known as Constabulary Hill later renamed Camp Henry T. Allen, in honor of the first chief of the Philippine Constabulary. With the passage of the Jones Law, the school was later changed to "Academy for Officers of the Philippine Constabulary" with a two-year curriculum. In 1908, the course was raised to collegiate level and later lengthened to three years with class 1938 as having the last graduates of that course. When the commonwealth government was established in 1935, the Philippine Military Academy was created in place of the Philippine Constabulary Academy. Under the National Defense Act, the PMA was authorized to maintain cadet strength of 350. Because of increased population, the academy transferred to Teachers Camp in June 1936 where it remained until WWII broke out. After the war the PMA headquarters was temporarily relocated at Camp Murphy and later at Alabang, while Camp Allen was being rehabilitated. Since May 1950 the Philippine Military Academy has found its permanent home at Fort del Pilar, Loakan, Baguio City.

The Mansion

The-Mansion-Baguio-CityThis imposing and majestic mansion has a long list of Filipino Presidents and American governor-generals. It has elegantly structured building and guesthouse. Its gate is patterned after that of London's Buckingham Palace. The Mansion has also been the site of several international conferences and a working office of the President of the Philippines during his visits to the City.

Camp John Hay

camp-john-hay-amphitheaterThis former American recreational facility is currently undergoing development as a world class resort. As of March 27, 1999, the golf course was completed and is now open, The skating rink, picnic area, and the mini golf course at the Scout Hill area are likewise open.

Asin Hot Spring

Located 16 kilometers northwest of Baguio, the resort's main feature is a swimming pool surrounded by thermal springs, lush vegetation and several hanging bridges. It is an ideal respite. This is now eyed to be redeveloped into a tourism resort along with the adjoining tourist attractions of Tuba and Baguio.

Bell Church

The-Bell-Church-of-Baguio-CityThis cluster of temples is located on the border of Baguio City and Trinidad Valley. Its exotic oriental architecture, pagodas roof, ornate gateway, dragon ornaments and Buddha - guarded windows gaze from atop a hill. The Bell Temple priest practices a mixture of Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism, and Christianity. One may even try having his fortune told.

Burnham Park

Burnham-Park-BaguioIt is the oldest of all Baguio parks. One can unwind from the tension of the day-to-day bustle by biking, skating or simply reflecting on the day's experiences amid a soothing garden backdrop of colorful flowers. It is thickly wooded and is a great place to have picnics and concerts. There are tennis and basketball courts, a football field, athletic oval and an orchidarium.

Mines View Park

Mines-View-Park-Baguio-CityAppropriately named for its breathtaking view of Benguet's mountain ranges where gold, silver and other ores were once quarried. There are souvenir shops around the park offering such items as woodcarvings, woven cloth, ashtrays, shell products and other curio items.

Wright Park

It is sometimes mistakenly called "Ride Park" by some that identify this pine tree park reserve for kiddy horse rides. A long stairway leads to the "Pool of the Pines", a 100 meter long pool of water lined on both sides by the famous Baguio towering pine.