Baguio Latest News

Burnham Park non-motorized wheeled vehicle rental ordinance pushed

BAGUIO CITY  – The City Council approved on first reading a proposed ordinance known as the Burnham Park non-motorized wheeled vehicle rental measure.


The ordinance authored by Vice Mayor Edison R. Bilog stated that for the security and safety of the park goers and customers of the non-motorized wheeled vehicles for rent, all children below 12 years old should be accompanied by their parents or guardians before they will be allowed to rent the same and no children shall be allowed to rent the non-motorized wheeled vehicles during school days unless accompanied by their parents or guardians.

Further, no racing of non-motorized wheeled vehicles will be allowed while no customer smelling liquor, or alcohol or under the influence of alcoholic drinks shall be allowed to rent the said vehicles.

Under the proposed ordinance, gambling of any kind by operators or workers or by the general public will be prohibited and urinating, defecating and spitting as well as providing massage, nail services, and other unauthorized activities within the shed premises will be prohibited.

The ordinance stipulated that the local government, through the City Environment and Parks Management Office (CEPMO), shall have full control, supervision and jurisdiction over the non-motorized wheeled vehicles concessionaries, including their operations and maintenance; such that all activities and facilities shall be subject to the regulation, control, and licensing by the city government; the certificate of registration or license or business permit to operate, maintain, establish or conduct non-motorized wheeled vehicle operations shall remain valid for one year from date of issue, unless sooner revoked by the local government or subject to the conditions that the vehicles concessionaires shall vacate their areas of operation upon request of the city; no leasing or sub-leasing shall be allowed; adult and kiddie vehicle concessionaries are prohibited to expand their allocated area, to construct, introduce structures, park furniture, additional appurtenances, umbrella and features in their leased areas without first securing consent and approval from the CEPMO non-motorized wheeled vehicles shall only select one line of business and concessionaries shall absolve the local government of any liability in case of damages, injuries, and losses suffered in the operation of their business.

Moreover, concessionaries and workers shall maintain at all times courteous and harmonious relationship with the general public and shall maintain sanitation, cleanliness and beautification of their immediate environs in terms of landscaping up to 5 meters radius from their maintained shed. They shall continued to be benchmarked with other non-motorized wheeled vehicle operators in the country as basis to improve their operational services and amenities.

Any concessionaire found to have violated the pertinent provisions of the ordinance shall be given warning for the first offense, fined P2,500 for the 2nd offense and P5,000 and subsequent cancellation of business permit for the third offense. After the cancellation of the business permit, the erring concessionaire shall voluntarily vacate the premises, and failure on their part to do so will constrain the CEPMO to clear the area without need of court action and that the spaces vacated shall be offered to the general public.

By Dexter A. See


Baguio Tourist Attractions

Marker of the Philippine Commission's First Session in Baguio

This is the site of the building where the members of the Philippine Commission met from April 22 to June 11, 1904 and officially initiated the use of Baguio as the Philippine Summer Capital. The Commission was composed of Governor General Luke Wright, president, and Commissioners Henry Ide, Dean C. Worcester, T Padre Tavera, Benito Legarda, Jose de Luzuriaga, James Smith and Cameron Forbes.

Kennon Road and its Builder

Tourist-Spots-in-BaguioNamed after Col. Lyman W. Kennon, who was the final builder of the famous Benguet road, with the help of the industrious Cordillerans and foreign workers. Kennon road is the shortest and the most scenic highway linking Baguio and the lowlands. The lion's head can be found along the way. Final construction of this road was finished in 1903. Col. L. Kennon first ascended to Baguio in 1905. Of the original workers, the Igorots and Japanese were admired for their trustworthiness and willingness to work. Kennon was closed to traffic after the July 16, 1990 earthquake. It is now open to light vehicles only.

Diplomat Hotel on Dominican Hill

diplomatIn May 1911, the councils of the Province of the Dominican Order voted to construct a vacation house in Baguio on a 17-hectare property they had acquired when the American authorities were encouraging people to come here. Actual work started in 1913 under Fr. Roque Ruano and the building was inaugurated on May 23, 1925. To take advantage of the tax exemptions a school called Collegio del Santissimo Rosario was opened in June 1915 but due to the very small enrollment the school closed in 1917, reverting the building to the original vacation house. During WWII refugees first occupied it. Later the Japanese Army Liberation Forces had to bomb out the refugees from the buildings. The five hits left very extensive damage and for a time it was left unrepaired. Reconstruction was started in 1947 and completed in 1948 with most of its pre-war grandeur and beauty restored. In 1973, Diplomat Hotels, Inc. acquired ownership, remodeled the interior into a 33-bedroom hotel with modern facilities, but retained the unique and distinct personality of the Dominican Hill. In the 80's the hotel ceased operations due to the death of one of its majority stockholders. Plans are underway to develop this historical religious landmark into a tourist resort.

Philippine Military Academy

PMAThe Philippine Commission promulgated Act No. 175, which became the basis for the creation of the Philippine Constabulary in August 8, 1905. The school for the officers of the constabulary was first located in Sta. Lucia Barracks in Manila. Later in 1908, it was relocated in Baguio on the site known as Constabulary Hill later renamed Camp Henry T. Allen, in honor of the first chief of the Philippine Constabulary. With the passage of the Jones Law, the school was later changed to "Academy for Officers of the Philippine Constabulary" with a two-year curriculum. In 1908, the course was raised to collegiate level and later lengthened to three years with class 1938 as having the last graduates of that course. When the commonwealth government was established in 1935, the Philippine Military Academy was created in place of the Philippine Constabulary Academy. Under the National Defense Act, the PMA was authorized to maintain cadet strength of 350. Because of increased population, the academy transferred to Teachers Camp in June 1936 where it remained until WWII broke out. After the war the PMA headquarters was temporarily relocated at Camp Murphy and later at Alabang, while Camp Allen was being rehabilitated. Since May 1950 the Philippine Military Academy has found its permanent home at Fort del Pilar, Loakan, Baguio City.

The Mansion

The-Mansion-Baguio-CityThis imposing and majestic mansion has a long list of Filipino Presidents and American governor-generals. It has elegantly structured building and guesthouse. Its gate is patterned after that of London's Buckingham Palace. The Mansion has also been the site of several international conferences and a working office of the President of the Philippines during his visits to the City.

Camp John Hay

camp-john-hay-amphitheaterThis former American recreational facility is currently undergoing development as a world class resort. As of March 27, 1999, the golf course was completed and is now open, The skating rink, picnic area, and the mini golf course at the Scout Hill area are likewise open.

Asin Hot Spring

Located 16 kilometers northwest of Baguio, the resort's main feature is a swimming pool surrounded by thermal springs, lush vegetation and several hanging bridges. It is an ideal respite. This is now eyed to be redeveloped into a tourism resort along with the adjoining tourist attractions of Tuba and Baguio.

Bell Church

The-Bell-Church-of-Baguio-CityThis cluster of temples is located on the border of Baguio City and Trinidad Valley. Its exotic oriental architecture, pagodas roof, ornate gateway, dragon ornaments and Buddha - guarded windows gaze from atop a hill. The Bell Temple priest practices a mixture of Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism, and Christianity. One may even try having his fortune told.

Burnham Park

Burnham-Park-BaguioIt is the oldest of all Baguio parks. One can unwind from the tension of the day-to-day bustle by biking, skating or simply reflecting on the day's experiences amid a soothing garden backdrop of colorful flowers. It is thickly wooded and is a great place to have picnics and concerts. There are tennis and basketball courts, a football field, athletic oval and an orchidarium.

Mines View Park

Mines-View-Park-Baguio-CityAppropriately named for its breathtaking view of Benguet's mountain ranges where gold, silver and other ores were once quarried. There are souvenir shops around the park offering such items as woodcarvings, woven cloth, ashtrays, shell products and other curio items.

Wright Park

It is sometimes mistakenly called "Ride Park" by some that identify this pine tree park reserve for kiddy horse rides. A long stairway leads to the "Pool of the Pines", a 100 meter long pool of water lined on both sides by the famous Baguio towering pine.