Baguio Latest News

NLEX reminds truckers to comply with weight limit

BAGUIO CITY  – The management of the NLEX Corporation urged truckers to strictly comply with the load limit being imposed along the Subic-Clark-Tarlac Expressway (SCTEX) and the North Luzon Expressway (NLEX) to prevent the delays in the delivery of basic goods to the various markets in Metro Manila and other parts of the country.

 

Engr. Fernando Autor, assistant vice president of NLEX Corporation’s project management department, said that the company is currently implementing the 13.5 tons per axle load limit of trucks passing through the expressways pursuant to existing laws, rules and regulations but there are still a number of truckers who are apprehended for alleged overloading.

“We reiterate our appeal to our truckers to make sure that they comply with the existing load limit being imposed along our expressways to prevent the untoward delays in the transport of basic goods to the markets not only in Metro Manila but also in other parts of the country. WE do not give any warning to violators because they had been made aware of the regulation a number of years back,” Autor stressed.

The NLEX Corporation official said tollway companies in the country are not so strict about the load limit considering that the 13.5 tons per axle is much higher compared to the 8 to 9 tons per axle load limit being implemented along expressways in other countries.

According to him, one of the negative effects of the passing through of overloaded trucks on the expressways is the reported rapid deterioration of the surface that requires constant maintenance, thus, the need for the cooperation of truckers to the strict implementation of the load limit policies so that the expressways will be able to reach their projected economic life.

While management understands the desire of traders to put more load on their trucks to address the needs of consumers in their areas of destination, he explained that there is a need to balance the interest of the traders of goods and the interest of investors for the operation and maintenance of expressways to guarantee the good condition of the major roads.

Autor claimed that there are always a number of truckers who are apprehended by their personnel when passing through the designated weighing areas along the expressways that is why it is important for the company to constantly remind the compliance of truckers to the prescribed load limit for truckers not to be imposed stiffer fines.

Autor claimed the company does not want to contribute in the untoward delay in the delivery of goods to the desired markets, thus, the need for concerned stakeholders to be actively involved in making sure that there will be compliance of the truckers to the load limit on expressways for the greater advantage to the public.

NLEX Corporation now manages the operation and maintenance of the SCTEX and NLEX which are now inter-connected with the Tarlac-Pangasinan-La Union Expressway (TPLEX) which is expected to be completed by the end of this year.

Autor claimed that it is the investors that shoulder the investments for the upgrading of expressways that is why the government provides the companies the opportunity to recover such investments with the return of investments through long-term concessions on the operation and management of said highways.

By HENT

 

Baguio Tourist Attractions

Marker of the Philippine Commission's First Session in Baguio

This is the site of the building where the members of the Philippine Commission met from April 22 to June 11, 1904 and officially initiated the use of Baguio as the Philippine Summer Capital. The Commission was composed of Governor General Luke Wright, president, and Commissioners Henry Ide, Dean C. Worcester, T Padre Tavera, Benito Legarda, Jose de Luzuriaga, James Smith and Cameron Forbes.

Kennon Road and its Builder

Tourist-Spots-in-BaguioNamed after Col. Lyman W. Kennon, who was the final builder of the famous Benguet road, with the help of the industrious Cordillerans and foreign workers. Kennon road is the shortest and the most scenic highway linking Baguio and the lowlands. The lion's head can be found along the way. Final construction of this road was finished in 1903. Col. L. Kennon first ascended to Baguio in 1905. Of the original workers, the Igorots and Japanese were admired for their trustworthiness and willingness to work. Kennon was closed to traffic after the July 16, 1990 earthquake. It is now open to light vehicles only.

Diplomat Hotel on Dominican Hill

diplomatIn May 1911, the councils of the Province of the Dominican Order voted to construct a vacation house in Baguio on a 17-hectare property they had acquired when the American authorities were encouraging people to come here. Actual work started in 1913 under Fr. Roque Ruano and the building was inaugurated on May 23, 1925. To take advantage of the tax exemptions a school called Collegio del Santissimo Rosario was opened in June 1915 but due to the very small enrollment the school closed in 1917, reverting the building to the original vacation house. During WWII refugees first occupied it. Later the Japanese Army Liberation Forces had to bomb out the refugees from the buildings. The five hits left very extensive damage and for a time it was left unrepaired. Reconstruction was started in 1947 and completed in 1948 with most of its pre-war grandeur and beauty restored. In 1973, Diplomat Hotels, Inc. acquired ownership, remodeled the interior into a 33-bedroom hotel with modern facilities, but retained the unique and distinct personality of the Dominican Hill. In the 80's the hotel ceased operations due to the death of one of its majority stockholders. Plans are underway to develop this historical religious landmark into a tourist resort.

Philippine Military Academy

PMAThe Philippine Commission promulgated Act No. 175, which became the basis for the creation of the Philippine Constabulary in August 8, 1905. The school for the officers of the constabulary was first located in Sta. Lucia Barracks in Manila. Later in 1908, it was relocated in Baguio on the site known as Constabulary Hill later renamed Camp Henry T. Allen, in honor of the first chief of the Philippine Constabulary. With the passage of the Jones Law, the school was later changed to "Academy for Officers of the Philippine Constabulary" with a two-year curriculum. In 1908, the course was raised to collegiate level and later lengthened to three years with class 1938 as having the last graduates of that course. When the commonwealth government was established in 1935, the Philippine Military Academy was created in place of the Philippine Constabulary Academy. Under the National Defense Act, the PMA was authorized to maintain cadet strength of 350. Because of increased population, the academy transferred to Teachers Camp in June 1936 where it remained until WWII broke out. After the war the PMA headquarters was temporarily relocated at Camp Murphy and later at Alabang, while Camp Allen was being rehabilitated. Since May 1950 the Philippine Military Academy has found its permanent home at Fort del Pilar, Loakan, Baguio City.

The Mansion

The-Mansion-Baguio-CityThis imposing and majestic mansion has a long list of Filipino Presidents and American governor-generals. It has elegantly structured building and guesthouse. Its gate is patterned after that of London's Buckingham Palace. The Mansion has also been the site of several international conferences and a working office of the President of the Philippines during his visits to the City.

Camp John Hay

camp-john-hay-amphitheaterThis former American recreational facility is currently undergoing development as a world class resort. As of March 27, 1999, the golf course was completed and is now open, The skating rink, picnic area, and the mini golf course at the Scout Hill area are likewise open.

Asin Hot Spring

Located 16 kilometers northwest of Baguio, the resort's main feature is a swimming pool surrounded by thermal springs, lush vegetation and several hanging bridges. It is an ideal respite. This is now eyed to be redeveloped into a tourism resort along with the adjoining tourist attractions of Tuba and Baguio.

Bell Church

The-Bell-Church-of-Baguio-CityThis cluster of temples is located on the border of Baguio City and Trinidad Valley. Its exotic oriental architecture, pagodas roof, ornate gateway, dragon ornaments and Buddha - guarded windows gaze from atop a hill. The Bell Temple priest practices a mixture of Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism, and Christianity. One may even try having his fortune told.

Burnham Park

Burnham-Park-BaguioIt is the oldest of all Baguio parks. One can unwind from the tension of the day-to-day bustle by biking, skating or simply reflecting on the day's experiences amid a soothing garden backdrop of colorful flowers. It is thickly wooded and is a great place to have picnics and concerts. There are tennis and basketball courts, a football field, athletic oval and an orchidarium.

Mines View Park

Mines-View-Park-Baguio-CityAppropriately named for its breathtaking view of Benguet's mountain ranges where gold, silver and other ores were once quarried. There are souvenir shops around the park offering such items as woodcarvings, woven cloth, ashtrays, shell products and other curio items.

Wright Park

It is sometimes mistakenly called "Ride Park" by some that identify this pine tree park reserve for kiddy horse rides. A long stairway leads to the "Pool of the Pines", a 100 meter long pool of water lined on both sides by the famous Baguio towering pine.