Baguio Latest News

Baguio folk warned on compliance to segregation of garbage

BAGUIO CITY  – Mayor Mauricio G. Domogan warned residents in the city’s 128 barangays that their garbage will not be collected by the city’s garbage trucks in the identified pick up points once it is not segregated.

 

The local chief executive appealed to the residents to cooperate with the no segregation , no collection policy because it is the mandate of the law for the people to segregate their garbage at source before dumping it in the identified pick up points.

“We are doing our best to make the temporary solutions to our garbage problem work while we are venturing on lasting solutions to address the prevailing solid waste issues and concerns in our city,” Domogan stressed.

He admitted that there are some delays in the collection of the city’s generated garbage in the identified pick up points because of some problems being encountered by the trucks that are assigned to collect the garbage during the scheduled pick up time that is why residents must understand the situation by trying to confine their garbage in their compound and bring it out only during the scheduled pick up days.

The city produces some 402 tons of mixed waste daily wherein 160 to 165 tons are classified to be residual waste while the rest are other biodegradable or non-biodegradable.

While the court ordered the closure of the staging area of the city’s haler in Lamtang, Puguis, La Trinidad because of a series of petitions from concerned residents living around the area, Domogan explained that he asked permission from the regional officials of the agriculture department to use a portion of the Baguio Dairy Farm as the city’s temporary staging area following stringent rules and regulations.

The formal letter of Mayor Domogan to Agriculture Secretary Emmanuel Piñol regarding the matter was favorably endorsed by the regional officials of the Department of Agriculture (DA) and now awaiting the official action of higher authorities.

He disclosed the local government is awaiting the permit to be issued by the Environmental Management Bureau (EMB) that will outline the stringent rules that will be observed by the local government in the use of the government property as a temporary staging area for the city’s residual waste being hauled out of the city by the hauler.

Under the prevailing policies, the transfer of waste should be done through the no touch ground policy wherein the city’s garbage truck will directly transfer to the hauler’s truck the collected waste for compaction among others before being transported to the sanitary landfill in the lowlands.

If there will be garbage that will be left in the temporary staging area, he emphasized that the remaining garbage should not be allowed to stay in the area for over 24 hours aside from the provision of additional interventions that will lessen the odor emanating from the garbage being hauled from the staging area to the landfill in the lowlands.

Domogan urged the full cooperation of barangay officials in the strict implementation of the no segregation of garbage at source to guarantee the compliance of the residence to the said policy considering that there are still a good number of households who refuse to segregate their garbage before bringing the same to the identified pick up points in their barangays.

By Dexter A. See

 

Baguio Tourist Attractions

Marker of the Philippine Commission's First Session in Baguio

This is the site of the building where the members of the Philippine Commission met from April 22 to June 11, 1904 and officially initiated the use of Baguio as the Philippine Summer Capital. The Commission was composed of Governor General Luke Wright, president, and Commissioners Henry Ide, Dean C. Worcester, T Padre Tavera, Benito Legarda, Jose de Luzuriaga, James Smith and Cameron Forbes.

Kennon Road and its Builder

Tourist-Spots-in-BaguioNamed after Col. Lyman W. Kennon, who was the final builder of the famous Benguet road, with the help of the industrious Cordillerans and foreign workers. Kennon road is the shortest and the most scenic highway linking Baguio and the lowlands. The lion's head can be found along the way. Final construction of this road was finished in 1903. Col. L. Kennon first ascended to Baguio in 1905. Of the original workers, the Igorots and Japanese were admired for their trustworthiness and willingness to work. Kennon was closed to traffic after the July 16, 1990 earthquake. It is now open to light vehicles only.

Diplomat Hotel on Dominican Hill

diplomatIn May 1911, the councils of the Province of the Dominican Order voted to construct a vacation house in Baguio on a 17-hectare property they had acquired when the American authorities were encouraging people to come here. Actual work started in 1913 under Fr. Roque Ruano and the building was inaugurated on May 23, 1925. To take advantage of the tax exemptions a school called Collegio del Santissimo Rosario was opened in June 1915 but due to the very small enrollment the school closed in 1917, reverting the building to the original vacation house. During WWII refugees first occupied it. Later the Japanese Army Liberation Forces had to bomb out the refugees from the buildings. The five hits left very extensive damage and for a time it was left unrepaired. Reconstruction was started in 1947 and completed in 1948 with most of its pre-war grandeur and beauty restored. In 1973, Diplomat Hotels, Inc. acquired ownership, remodeled the interior into a 33-bedroom hotel with modern facilities, but retained the unique and distinct personality of the Dominican Hill. In the 80's the hotel ceased operations due to the death of one of its majority stockholders. Plans are underway to develop this historical religious landmark into a tourist resort.

Philippine Military Academy

PMAThe Philippine Commission promulgated Act No. 175, which became the basis for the creation of the Philippine Constabulary in August 8, 1905. The school for the officers of the constabulary was first located in Sta. Lucia Barracks in Manila. Later in 1908, it was relocated in Baguio on the site known as Constabulary Hill later renamed Camp Henry T. Allen, in honor of the first chief of the Philippine Constabulary. With the passage of the Jones Law, the school was later changed to "Academy for Officers of the Philippine Constabulary" with a two-year curriculum. In 1908, the course was raised to collegiate level and later lengthened to three years with class 1938 as having the last graduates of that course. When the commonwealth government was established in 1935, the Philippine Military Academy was created in place of the Philippine Constabulary Academy. Under the National Defense Act, the PMA was authorized to maintain cadet strength of 350. Because of increased population, the academy transferred to Teachers Camp in June 1936 where it remained until WWII broke out. After the war the PMA headquarters was temporarily relocated at Camp Murphy and later at Alabang, while Camp Allen was being rehabilitated. Since May 1950 the Philippine Military Academy has found its permanent home at Fort del Pilar, Loakan, Baguio City.

The Mansion

The-Mansion-Baguio-CityThis imposing and majestic mansion has a long list of Filipino Presidents and American governor-generals. It has elegantly structured building and guesthouse. Its gate is patterned after that of London's Buckingham Palace. The Mansion has also been the site of several international conferences and a working office of the President of the Philippines during his visits to the City.

Camp John Hay

camp-john-hay-amphitheaterThis former American recreational facility is currently undergoing development as a world class resort. As of March 27, 1999, the golf course was completed and is now open, The skating rink, picnic area, and the mini golf course at the Scout Hill area are likewise open.

Asin Hot Spring

Located 16 kilometers northwest of Baguio, the resort's main feature is a swimming pool surrounded by thermal springs, lush vegetation and several hanging bridges. It is an ideal respite. This is now eyed to be redeveloped into a tourism resort along with the adjoining tourist attractions of Tuba and Baguio.

Bell Church

The-Bell-Church-of-Baguio-CityThis cluster of temples is located on the border of Baguio City and Trinidad Valley. Its exotic oriental architecture, pagodas roof, ornate gateway, dragon ornaments and Buddha - guarded windows gaze from atop a hill. The Bell Temple priest practices a mixture of Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism, and Christianity. One may even try having his fortune told.

Burnham Park

Burnham-Park-BaguioIt is the oldest of all Baguio parks. One can unwind from the tension of the day-to-day bustle by biking, skating or simply reflecting on the day's experiences amid a soothing garden backdrop of colorful flowers. It is thickly wooded and is a great place to have picnics and concerts. There are tennis and basketball courts, a football field, athletic oval and an orchidarium.

Mines View Park

Mines-View-Park-Baguio-CityAppropriately named for its breathtaking view of Benguet's mountain ranges where gold, silver and other ores were once quarried. There are souvenir shops around the park offering such items as woodcarvings, woven cloth, ashtrays, shell products and other curio items.

Wright Park

It is sometimes mistakenly called "Ride Park" by some that identify this pine tree park reserve for kiddy horse rides. A long stairway leads to the "Pool of the Pines", a 100 meter long pool of water lined on both sides by the famous Baguio towering pine.