Baguio Latest News

Cordillera firecracker injuries rise to 25

BAGUIO CITY  – Health authorities confirmed that firecracker-related injuries in the region increased to twenty five incidents compared to the twenty two incidents that were recorded during the previous year.

 

Based on the data obtained from the Cordillera office of the Department of Health (DOH-CAR) at the end of the reckoning period, 23 of those reported injured were males while only 2 were females aged 15 and 26 years old.

The youngest victim of the explosion of firecrackers and pyrotechnic materials is a 6-year old boy from Bangued, Abra who was hurt while torching a fountain while the oldest firecracker-related injury victim was a 54-year old male from Luna, Apayao who was hurt by the so-called kwitis that misfired during the Yuletide revelries.

Of the reported fire-cracker-related injuries, 20 were said to be active victims who were injured while lighting firecrackers and pyrotechnic materials while 5 were described to be passive victims.

The firecrackers that inflicted injuries to the victims were piccolo – 6, kwitis – 5, fountain – 3, boga – 2, among other firecrackers and pyrotechnic materials.

Records show that Abra, Apayao and Benguet recorded the highest number of firecracker-related injuries during the reckoning period which was December 21, 2017 to January 5 2018 with 5 injuries each followed by Kalinga with 4 injuries, Baguio with 3 reported injuries, Ifugao with 2 injuries and Mountain Province with only 1 reported injury.

Moreover, the DOH-CAR reported that 4 of those injured by firecrackers were said to be under the influence of liquor while 21 were not intoxicated when the incidents happened in their midst.

The injured individuals were immediately provided with anti-tetanus treatment by the health personnel of the different health facilities where the victims were rushed by their relatives and 24 of them were sent home after being given the necessary treatment and 1 of them was reportedly admitted in the hospital for further observation of the injuries he sustained.

Under existing rules and regulations, active victims are said to be the ones who were lighting the firecrakers or the ones holding the firecrackers while being lighted while the passive victims are said to be the ones who were watching the lighting of firecrackers or who were passing by the area where firecrackers were exploded.

Prior to the monitoring period, health authorities and local officials from the different parts of the region have been involved in massive information and education campaigns informing the people to refraim from using firecrackers in celebrating the Yuletide revelries to achieve the desired zero casualty and for them to embrace other alternative means of creating noise to welcome the coming of the new year.

Health authorities remain optimistic that people have learned their lessons from the injuries that they sustained from exploding firecrackers during the celebration of the Yuletide revelries.

By HENT

 

Baguio Tourist Attractions

Marker of the Philippine Commission's First Session in Baguio

This is the site of the building where the members of the Philippine Commission met from April 22 to June 11, 1904 and officially initiated the use of Baguio as the Philippine Summer Capital. The Commission was composed of Governor General Luke Wright, president, and Commissioners Henry Ide, Dean C. Worcester, T Padre Tavera, Benito Legarda, Jose de Luzuriaga, James Smith and Cameron Forbes.

Kennon Road and its Builder

Tourist-Spots-in-BaguioNamed after Col. Lyman W. Kennon, who was the final builder of the famous Benguet road, with the help of the industrious Cordillerans and foreign workers. Kennon road is the shortest and the most scenic highway linking Baguio and the lowlands. The lion's head can be found along the way. Final construction of this road was finished in 1903. Col. L. Kennon first ascended to Baguio in 1905. Of the original workers, the Igorots and Japanese were admired for their trustworthiness and willingness to work. Kennon was closed to traffic after the July 16, 1990 earthquake. It is now open to light vehicles only.

Diplomat Hotel on Dominican Hill

diplomatIn May 1911, the councils of the Province of the Dominican Order voted to construct a vacation house in Baguio on a 17-hectare property they had acquired when the American authorities were encouraging people to come here. Actual work started in 1913 under Fr. Roque Ruano and the building was inaugurated on May 23, 1925. To take advantage of the tax exemptions a school called Collegio del Santissimo Rosario was opened in June 1915 but due to the very small enrollment the school closed in 1917, reverting the building to the original vacation house. During WWII refugees first occupied it. Later the Japanese Army Liberation Forces had to bomb out the refugees from the buildings. The five hits left very extensive damage and for a time it was left unrepaired. Reconstruction was started in 1947 and completed in 1948 with most of its pre-war grandeur and beauty restored. In 1973, Diplomat Hotels, Inc. acquired ownership, remodeled the interior into a 33-bedroom hotel with modern facilities, but retained the unique and distinct personality of the Dominican Hill. In the 80's the hotel ceased operations due to the death of one of its majority stockholders. Plans are underway to develop this historical religious landmark into a tourist resort.

Philippine Military Academy

PMAThe Philippine Commission promulgated Act No. 175, which became the basis for the creation of the Philippine Constabulary in August 8, 1905. The school for the officers of the constabulary was first located in Sta. Lucia Barracks in Manila. Later in 1908, it was relocated in Baguio on the site known as Constabulary Hill later renamed Camp Henry T. Allen, in honor of the first chief of the Philippine Constabulary. With the passage of the Jones Law, the school was later changed to "Academy for Officers of the Philippine Constabulary" with a two-year curriculum. In 1908, the course was raised to collegiate level and later lengthened to three years with class 1938 as having the last graduates of that course. When the commonwealth government was established in 1935, the Philippine Military Academy was created in place of the Philippine Constabulary Academy. Under the National Defense Act, the PMA was authorized to maintain cadet strength of 350. Because of increased population, the academy transferred to Teachers Camp in June 1936 where it remained until WWII broke out. After the war the PMA headquarters was temporarily relocated at Camp Murphy and later at Alabang, while Camp Allen was being rehabilitated. Since May 1950 the Philippine Military Academy has found its permanent home at Fort del Pilar, Loakan, Baguio City.

The Mansion

The-Mansion-Baguio-CityThis imposing and majestic mansion has a long list of Filipino Presidents and American governor-generals. It has elegantly structured building and guesthouse. Its gate is patterned after that of London's Buckingham Palace. The Mansion has also been the site of several international conferences and a working office of the President of the Philippines during his visits to the City.

Camp John Hay

camp-john-hay-amphitheaterThis former American recreational facility is currently undergoing development as a world class resort. As of March 27, 1999, the golf course was completed and is now open, The skating rink, picnic area, and the mini golf course at the Scout Hill area are likewise open.

Asin Hot Spring

Located 16 kilometers northwest of Baguio, the resort's main feature is a swimming pool surrounded by thermal springs, lush vegetation and several hanging bridges. It is an ideal respite. This is now eyed to be redeveloped into a tourism resort along with the adjoining tourist attractions of Tuba and Baguio.

Bell Church

The-Bell-Church-of-Baguio-CityThis cluster of temples is located on the border of Baguio City and Trinidad Valley. Its exotic oriental architecture, pagodas roof, ornate gateway, dragon ornaments and Buddha - guarded windows gaze from atop a hill. The Bell Temple priest practices a mixture of Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism, and Christianity. One may even try having his fortune told.

Burnham Park

Burnham-Park-BaguioIt is the oldest of all Baguio parks. One can unwind from the tension of the day-to-day bustle by biking, skating or simply reflecting on the day's experiences amid a soothing garden backdrop of colorful flowers. It is thickly wooded and is a great place to have picnics and concerts. There are tennis and basketball courts, a football field, athletic oval and an orchidarium.

Mines View Park

Mines-View-Park-Baguio-CityAppropriately named for its breathtaking view of Benguet's mountain ranges where gold, silver and other ores were once quarried. There are souvenir shops around the park offering such items as woodcarvings, woven cloth, ashtrays, shell products and other curio items.

Wright Park

It is sometimes mistakenly called "Ride Park" by some that identify this pine tree park reserve for kiddy horse rides. A long stairway leads to the "Pool of the Pines", a 100 meter long pool of water lined on both sides by the famous Baguio towering pine.