Baguio Latest News

Farmers join 14th Organic Congress

BAGUIO CITY  – Farmers and local government officials from the Cordillera participated in the 14th National Organic Agriculture Congress held at the Atrium, Limketkai Center, Cagayan de Oro City last October 24-26, 2017.

 

The 14th NOAC advocated for the promotion and support for organic agriculture that is Science-based, Market-oriented, Adaptive, Responsive, and Transformative (SMART). It recognized the efforts and accomplishments of the Local Government Units (LGUs), individual farmers, farming families, farmer’s organizations, agricultural extension workers, and organic agriculture focal persons in this endeavor.

The other participants are organic farming practitioners from all regions of the country, various stakeholders, implementing agencies such as ATI, BAFS, BAI, PhilMECH, BSWM, BPI, AMAS BFAR, and BAR, partner agencies, local government units, and supporters of Organic Agriculture in the Philippines.

Department of Agriculture Secretary Emmanuel F. Piñol together with Undersecretary and Alternate Chair and Permanent Representative to National Organic Agriculture Board, Usec. Bernadette Puyat and National Organic Agriculture Program Coordinator, Engr. Christopher Morales graced the prestigious event.

In his message, Secretary Piñol expressed the need to implement technology, financing, and marketing in the agriculture sector will improve the productivity of the people and will make sure that farmers and fisher folks will make money out of their efforts and sacrifices.

Moreover, he mentioned that technology in organic farming is needed. “The use of modern organic farming technology like the use of organic fertilizers and the use of organic bio control will result in greater productivity,” he said.

He also mentioned that the biggest problem in agriculture is financing which the present administration is trying to address by introducing the new program called Production Loan Easy Access (PLEA), allowing farmers to have access credit without collateral and with 6% interest annually. They are also working on a new scheme improving the equipment distribution program where the seeds that the government is giving will be transferred to credit system which will allow farmers to buy their own type of seeds that is appropriate for the type of soil and climate they have.

In the marketing aspect Piñol cited the TienDA, which was launched this year with the purpose of establishing a marketing system where consumers and producers are linked to reduce the price of farm produce while allowing farmers to earn more from their produce. “We will be doing this continuously until we will perfect the system likewise we are promoting the use of local agriculture products,” he stressed.

Piñol challenged the farmers to work on feeding the Filipino people first. “To you organic farmers, let’s talk to our congressmen and see what incentives we can offer to every farmer who embraces organic farming,” he said.

The Secretary assured his full commitment to organic farming, he will not stop moving around the country, he will not stop touching people’s lives because he knows that out there in the mountains of Misamis Oriental, in the mountains of Benguet, and in the mountains of Bukidnon there are still families waiting for the government to touch them, he concluded.

By Leny Mendoza

 

Baguio Tourist Attractions

Marker of the Philippine Commission's First Session in Baguio

This is the site of the building where the members of the Philippine Commission met from April 22 to June 11, 1904 and officially initiated the use of Baguio as the Philippine Summer Capital. The Commission was composed of Governor General Luke Wright, president, and Commissioners Henry Ide, Dean C. Worcester, T Padre Tavera, Benito Legarda, Jose de Luzuriaga, James Smith and Cameron Forbes.

Kennon Road and its Builder

Tourist-Spots-in-BaguioNamed after Col. Lyman W. Kennon, who was the final builder of the famous Benguet road, with the help of the industrious Cordillerans and foreign workers. Kennon road is the shortest and the most scenic highway linking Baguio and the lowlands. The lion's head can be found along the way. Final construction of this road was finished in 1903. Col. L. Kennon first ascended to Baguio in 1905. Of the original workers, the Igorots and Japanese were admired for their trustworthiness and willingness to work. Kennon was closed to traffic after the July 16, 1990 earthquake. It is now open to light vehicles only.

Diplomat Hotel on Dominican Hill

diplomatIn May 1911, the councils of the Province of the Dominican Order voted to construct a vacation house in Baguio on a 17-hectare property they had acquired when the American authorities were encouraging people to come here. Actual work started in 1913 under Fr. Roque Ruano and the building was inaugurated on May 23, 1925. To take advantage of the tax exemptions a school called Collegio del Santissimo Rosario was opened in June 1915 but due to the very small enrollment the school closed in 1917, reverting the building to the original vacation house. During WWII refugees first occupied it. Later the Japanese Army Liberation Forces had to bomb out the refugees from the buildings. The five hits left very extensive damage and for a time it was left unrepaired. Reconstruction was started in 1947 and completed in 1948 with most of its pre-war grandeur and beauty restored. In 1973, Diplomat Hotels, Inc. acquired ownership, remodeled the interior into a 33-bedroom hotel with modern facilities, but retained the unique and distinct personality of the Dominican Hill. In the 80's the hotel ceased operations due to the death of one of its majority stockholders. Plans are underway to develop this historical religious landmark into a tourist resort.

Philippine Military Academy

PMAThe Philippine Commission promulgated Act No. 175, which became the basis for the creation of the Philippine Constabulary in August 8, 1905. The school for the officers of the constabulary was first located in Sta. Lucia Barracks in Manila. Later in 1908, it was relocated in Baguio on the site known as Constabulary Hill later renamed Camp Henry T. Allen, in honor of the first chief of the Philippine Constabulary. With the passage of the Jones Law, the school was later changed to "Academy for Officers of the Philippine Constabulary" with a two-year curriculum. In 1908, the course was raised to collegiate level and later lengthened to three years with class 1938 as having the last graduates of that course. When the commonwealth government was established in 1935, the Philippine Military Academy was created in place of the Philippine Constabulary Academy. Under the National Defense Act, the PMA was authorized to maintain cadet strength of 350. Because of increased population, the academy transferred to Teachers Camp in June 1936 where it remained until WWII broke out. After the war the PMA headquarters was temporarily relocated at Camp Murphy and later at Alabang, while Camp Allen was being rehabilitated. Since May 1950 the Philippine Military Academy has found its permanent home at Fort del Pilar, Loakan, Baguio City.

The Mansion

The-Mansion-Baguio-CityThis imposing and majestic mansion has a long list of Filipino Presidents and American governor-generals. It has elegantly structured building and guesthouse. Its gate is patterned after that of London's Buckingham Palace. The Mansion has also been the site of several international conferences and a working office of the President of the Philippines during his visits to the City.

Camp John Hay

camp-john-hay-amphitheaterThis former American recreational facility is currently undergoing development as a world class resort. As of March 27, 1999, the golf course was completed and is now open, The skating rink, picnic area, and the mini golf course at the Scout Hill area are likewise open.

Asin Hot Spring

Located 16 kilometers northwest of Baguio, the resort's main feature is a swimming pool surrounded by thermal springs, lush vegetation and several hanging bridges. It is an ideal respite. This is now eyed to be redeveloped into a tourism resort along with the adjoining tourist attractions of Tuba and Baguio.

Bell Church

The-Bell-Church-of-Baguio-CityThis cluster of temples is located on the border of Baguio City and Trinidad Valley. Its exotic oriental architecture, pagodas roof, ornate gateway, dragon ornaments and Buddha - guarded windows gaze from atop a hill. The Bell Temple priest practices a mixture of Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism, and Christianity. One may even try having his fortune told.

Burnham Park

Burnham-Park-BaguioIt is the oldest of all Baguio parks. One can unwind from the tension of the day-to-day bustle by biking, skating or simply reflecting on the day's experiences amid a soothing garden backdrop of colorful flowers. It is thickly wooded and is a great place to have picnics and concerts. There are tennis and basketball courts, a football field, athletic oval and an orchidarium.

Mines View Park

Mines-View-Park-Baguio-CityAppropriately named for its breathtaking view of Benguet's mountain ranges where gold, silver and other ores were once quarried. There are souvenir shops around the park offering such items as woodcarvings, woven cloth, ashtrays, shell products and other curio items.

Wright Park

It is sometimes mistakenly called "Ride Park" by some that identify this pine tree park reserve for kiddy horse rides. A long stairway leads to the "Pool of the Pines", a 100 meter long pool of water lined on both sides by the famous Baguio towering pine.