Baguio Latest News

Creation of Baguio culture, arts council proposed

BAGUIO CITY  – The preservation and promotion of culture and arts in the city got an added boost following the filing of a proposed ordinance creating the Baguio City Culture and the Arts Council in support of the plan of the National Commission on Culture and the Arts (NCCA) and the Cordillera Regional Development Council (RDC-CAR) to establish said councils to allow access to financial and technical assistance from the Commission.

 

Councilor Lilia A. Farinas underscored the purposes of the creation of the Baguio City Culture and Arts Council, which include the advancement of efforts of concerned government agencies and local governments for the sustainable preservation and protection of the rich culture, heritage, arts and traditions of the city and its people; qualify and comply with the criteria of local governments for the coveted Seal of Good Local Governance in coordination with the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) and to allow the city to have access to both financial and technical assistance that the NCCA has to offer.

Under the proposal, the Baguio City Culture and the Arts Council shall be composed of the City Mayor as chairperson and that its membership shall be composed of a representative from the NCCA, a DILG representative, chairperson of the City Council Tourism, Special Events, Parks and Playgrounds, the chairperson of the City Council Committee of Education, Culture and Historical Research, City Environment and Parks Management Officer, City Administrator, Supervising tourism Operations Officer and other concerned and interested offices and agencies.

The local lady legislator is proposing the appropriation of P100,000 from the city’s general funds for the effective and efficient implementation of the measure.

Farinas explained the Cordillera is a region whose unique culture and heritage must be preserved and protected and in order to sustain such quality is to transfer the cultural practices, customs and traditions to the present and future generations for them to observe and aggressively promote.

Earlier, the NCCA leadership called on all local governments in the country to create their local councils for culture and arts to help preserve and protect the rich culture and heritage of not only the Cordillerans but also in various parts of the country where indigenous peoples are dominant.

The NCCA added that the compliance of local governments to the creation of their respective local council for culture and arts will be one of the criteria that will be included by the DILG in judging local governments for their compliance to the coveted Seal of Good Local governance this year and the succeeding years.

According to her, the putting up of local councils for culture and arts will definitely help the national government complete the local registry of cultural properties among others to help decision makers in deciding what to preserve and protect by either marking the said important properties as historical landmarks, historical sites or national treasures.

The RDC-CAR also joined the call for the compliance of the local governments in the creation of the local culture and arts council by initiating the needed consultations among local officials on how to go about the put up of the council in their areas of jurisdiction.

By Dexter A. See

 

Baguio Tourist Attractions

Marker of the Philippine Commission's First Session in Baguio

This is the site of the building where the members of the Philippine Commission met from April 22 to June 11, 1904 and officially initiated the use of Baguio as the Philippine Summer Capital. The Commission was composed of Governor General Luke Wright, president, and Commissioners Henry Ide, Dean C. Worcester, T Padre Tavera, Benito Legarda, Jose de Luzuriaga, James Smith and Cameron Forbes.

Kennon Road and its Builder

Tourist-Spots-in-BaguioNamed after Col. Lyman W. Kennon, who was the final builder of the famous Benguet road, with the help of the industrious Cordillerans and foreign workers. Kennon road is the shortest and the most scenic highway linking Baguio and the lowlands. The lion's head can be found along the way. Final construction of this road was finished in 1903. Col. L. Kennon first ascended to Baguio in 1905. Of the original workers, the Igorots and Japanese were admired for their trustworthiness and willingness to work. Kennon was closed to traffic after the July 16, 1990 earthquake. It is now open to light vehicles only.

Diplomat Hotel on Dominican Hill

diplomatIn May 1911, the councils of the Province of the Dominican Order voted to construct a vacation house in Baguio on a 17-hectare property they had acquired when the American authorities were encouraging people to come here. Actual work started in 1913 under Fr. Roque Ruano and the building was inaugurated on May 23, 1925. To take advantage of the tax exemptions a school called Collegio del Santissimo Rosario was opened in June 1915 but due to the very small enrollment the school closed in 1917, reverting the building to the original vacation house. During WWII refugees first occupied it. Later the Japanese Army Liberation Forces had to bomb out the refugees from the buildings. The five hits left very extensive damage and for a time it was left unrepaired. Reconstruction was started in 1947 and completed in 1948 with most of its pre-war grandeur and beauty restored. In 1973, Diplomat Hotels, Inc. acquired ownership, remodeled the interior into a 33-bedroom hotel with modern facilities, but retained the unique and distinct personality of the Dominican Hill. In the 80's the hotel ceased operations due to the death of one of its majority stockholders. Plans are underway to develop this historical religious landmark into a tourist resort.

Philippine Military Academy

PMAThe Philippine Commission promulgated Act No. 175, which became the basis for the creation of the Philippine Constabulary in August 8, 1905. The school for the officers of the constabulary was first located in Sta. Lucia Barracks in Manila. Later in 1908, it was relocated in Baguio on the site known as Constabulary Hill later renamed Camp Henry T. Allen, in honor of the first chief of the Philippine Constabulary. With the passage of the Jones Law, the school was later changed to "Academy for Officers of the Philippine Constabulary" with a two-year curriculum. In 1908, the course was raised to collegiate level and later lengthened to three years with class 1938 as having the last graduates of that course. When the commonwealth government was established in 1935, the Philippine Military Academy was created in place of the Philippine Constabulary Academy. Under the National Defense Act, the PMA was authorized to maintain cadet strength of 350. Because of increased population, the academy transferred to Teachers Camp in June 1936 where it remained until WWII broke out. After the war the PMA headquarters was temporarily relocated at Camp Murphy and later at Alabang, while Camp Allen was being rehabilitated. Since May 1950 the Philippine Military Academy has found its permanent home at Fort del Pilar, Loakan, Baguio City.

The Mansion

The-Mansion-Baguio-CityThis imposing and majestic mansion has a long list of Filipino Presidents and American governor-generals. It has elegantly structured building and guesthouse. Its gate is patterned after that of London's Buckingham Palace. The Mansion has also been the site of several international conferences and a working office of the President of the Philippines during his visits to the City.

Camp John Hay

camp-john-hay-amphitheaterThis former American recreational facility is currently undergoing development as a world class resort. As of March 27, 1999, the golf course was completed and is now open, The skating rink, picnic area, and the mini golf course at the Scout Hill area are likewise open.

Asin Hot Spring

Located 16 kilometers northwest of Baguio, the resort's main feature is a swimming pool surrounded by thermal springs, lush vegetation and several hanging bridges. It is an ideal respite. This is now eyed to be redeveloped into a tourism resort along with the adjoining tourist attractions of Tuba and Baguio.

Bell Church

The-Bell-Church-of-Baguio-CityThis cluster of temples is located on the border of Baguio City and Trinidad Valley. Its exotic oriental architecture, pagodas roof, ornate gateway, dragon ornaments and Buddha - guarded windows gaze from atop a hill. The Bell Temple priest practices a mixture of Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism, and Christianity. One may even try having his fortune told.

Burnham Park

Burnham-Park-BaguioIt is the oldest of all Baguio parks. One can unwind from the tension of the day-to-day bustle by biking, skating or simply reflecting on the day's experiences amid a soothing garden backdrop of colorful flowers. It is thickly wooded and is a great place to have picnics and concerts. There are tennis and basketball courts, a football field, athletic oval and an orchidarium.

Mines View Park

Mines-View-Park-Baguio-CityAppropriately named for its breathtaking view of Benguet's mountain ranges where gold, silver and other ores were once quarried. There are souvenir shops around the park offering such items as woodcarvings, woven cloth, ashtrays, shell products and other curio items.

Wright Park

It is sometimes mistakenly called "Ride Park" by some that identify this pine tree park reserve for kiddy horse rides. A long stairway leads to the "Pool of the Pines", a 100 meter long pool of water lined on both sides by the famous Baguio towering pine.