Baguio Latest News

Cordillera crop production drops by 1.7 percent

BAGUIO CITY  – The volume of crop production in the Cordillera for cabbage, carrots and white potatoes decreased by 1.7 percent last year wherein the three crops accounted for 305,850 metric tons compared to the 311,269 metric tons produced in 2015, a report from the Cordillera office of the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA-CAR) stated.


Of the total crop production, the PSA-CAR stipulated that the Cordillera contributed the biggest share at 82.9 percent or 253,404 metric tons, followed by Davao Region with a 5 percent share of 15,297 metric tons and Northern Mindanao at 4.5 percent or 13,629 metric tons.

Based on the report, the Cordillera contributed 32.6 percent of white potatoes which was equivalent to 99,981 metric tons, 31 percent of cabbage which was around 94,728 metric tons and 19.2 percent of carrots or 58,695 metric tons.

Among the Cordillera provinces, Benguet had the largest production since it has the widest farming area for the three crops and has a temperate weather suitable for producing highland vegetables to cater to the growing demand of semi-temperate vegetables.

Of the 128,080 metric tons total cabbage production last year, the PSA-CAR noted that vegetable farmers in the region produced the highest with 77 percent share or some 94,728 metric tons followed by Northern Mindanao at 5.3 percent or 6,424 metric tons and Central Visayas with 5 percent or 6,161 metric tons.

From 125,752 metric tons in 2015, the PSA-CAR cited production of cabbage in the region decreased last year by 2.1 percent or 2,672 metric tons due to the damages caused by Typhoon Lawin that devastated the region during the last quarter.

Benguet remained as the major producer of cabbage with 86.3 percent share of the region’s total 81,778 metric tons, followed by Mountain Province with 13.1 percent share or 12,450 metric tons.

On the other hand, the PSA-CAR added carrot production in the country reached 65,987 metric tons in 2016 and the Cordillera again contributed the biggest share with 88.9 percent or 58,695 metric tons followed by Negros Island Region at 2.9 percent share or 1,914 metric tons.

The report stated carrot production in the Cordillera last year dropped by 832 metric tons or 1.4 percent compared to the 59,527 metric tons produced in 2015.

Benguet continues to provide the biggest share with 92.9 percent or 54,500 metric tons, followed by Mountain Province with 6.3 percent share or 3,691 metric tons and Ifugao with 0.9 percent or 504 metric tons.

Moreover, the Cordillera remained the highest contributor of white potatoes with 85.6 percent share or 99,981 metric tons followed by Davao Region with 8.4 percent or 9,846 metric tons and Northern Mindanao with 5.9 percent or 5,879 metric tons.

The regional production dropped by 1.8 percent or 1,848 metric tons from the previous year 101,829 metric tons due to the occurrence of Typhoons Lawin and Karen.

Benguet sustained its biggest share with 88.8 percent or 88,771 metric tons, followed by Mountain Province with 11.1 percent or 11,090 metric tons.



Baguio Tourist Attractions

Marker of the Philippine Commission's First Session in Baguio

This is the site of the building where the members of the Philippine Commission met from April 22 to June 11, 1904 and officially initiated the use of Baguio as the Philippine Summer Capital. The Commission was composed of Governor General Luke Wright, president, and Commissioners Henry Ide, Dean C. Worcester, T Padre Tavera, Benito Legarda, Jose de Luzuriaga, James Smith and Cameron Forbes.

Kennon Road and its Builder

Tourist-Spots-in-BaguioNamed after Col. Lyman W. Kennon, who was the final builder of the famous Benguet road, with the help of the industrious Cordillerans and foreign workers. Kennon road is the shortest and the most scenic highway linking Baguio and the lowlands. The lion's head can be found along the way. Final construction of this road was finished in 1903. Col. L. Kennon first ascended to Baguio in 1905. Of the original workers, the Igorots and Japanese were admired for their trustworthiness and willingness to work. Kennon was closed to traffic after the July 16, 1990 earthquake. It is now open to light vehicles only.

Diplomat Hotel on Dominican Hill

diplomatIn May 1911, the councils of the Province of the Dominican Order voted to construct a vacation house in Baguio on a 17-hectare property they had acquired when the American authorities were encouraging people to come here. Actual work started in 1913 under Fr. Roque Ruano and the building was inaugurated on May 23, 1925. To take advantage of the tax exemptions a school called Collegio del Santissimo Rosario was opened in June 1915 but due to the very small enrollment the school closed in 1917, reverting the building to the original vacation house. During WWII refugees first occupied it. Later the Japanese Army Liberation Forces had to bomb out the refugees from the buildings. The five hits left very extensive damage and for a time it was left unrepaired. Reconstruction was started in 1947 and completed in 1948 with most of its pre-war grandeur and beauty restored. In 1973, Diplomat Hotels, Inc. acquired ownership, remodeled the interior into a 33-bedroom hotel with modern facilities, but retained the unique and distinct personality of the Dominican Hill. In the 80's the hotel ceased operations due to the death of one of its majority stockholders. Plans are underway to develop this historical religious landmark into a tourist resort.

Philippine Military Academy

PMAThe Philippine Commission promulgated Act No. 175, which became the basis for the creation of the Philippine Constabulary in August 8, 1905. The school for the officers of the constabulary was first located in Sta. Lucia Barracks in Manila. Later in 1908, it was relocated in Baguio on the site known as Constabulary Hill later renamed Camp Henry T. Allen, in honor of the first chief of the Philippine Constabulary. With the passage of the Jones Law, the school was later changed to "Academy for Officers of the Philippine Constabulary" with a two-year curriculum. In 1908, the course was raised to collegiate level and later lengthened to three years with class 1938 as having the last graduates of that course. When the commonwealth government was established in 1935, the Philippine Military Academy was created in place of the Philippine Constabulary Academy. Under the National Defense Act, the PMA was authorized to maintain cadet strength of 350. Because of increased population, the academy transferred to Teachers Camp in June 1936 where it remained until WWII broke out. After the war the PMA headquarters was temporarily relocated at Camp Murphy and later at Alabang, while Camp Allen was being rehabilitated. Since May 1950 the Philippine Military Academy has found its permanent home at Fort del Pilar, Loakan, Baguio City.

The Mansion

The-Mansion-Baguio-CityThis imposing and majestic mansion has a long list of Filipino Presidents and American governor-generals. It has elegantly structured building and guesthouse. Its gate is patterned after that of London's Buckingham Palace. The Mansion has also been the site of several international conferences and a working office of the President of the Philippines during his visits to the City.

Camp John Hay

camp-john-hay-amphitheaterThis former American recreational facility is currently undergoing development as a world class resort. As of March 27, 1999, the golf course was completed and is now open, The skating rink, picnic area, and the mini golf course at the Scout Hill area are likewise open.

Asin Hot Spring

Located 16 kilometers northwest of Baguio, the resort's main feature is a swimming pool surrounded by thermal springs, lush vegetation and several hanging bridges. It is an ideal respite. This is now eyed to be redeveloped into a tourism resort along with the adjoining tourist attractions of Tuba and Baguio.

Bell Church

The-Bell-Church-of-Baguio-CityThis cluster of temples is located on the border of Baguio City and Trinidad Valley. Its exotic oriental architecture, pagodas roof, ornate gateway, dragon ornaments and Buddha - guarded windows gaze from atop a hill. The Bell Temple priest practices a mixture of Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism, and Christianity. One may even try having his fortune told.

Burnham Park

Burnham-Park-BaguioIt is the oldest of all Baguio parks. One can unwind from the tension of the day-to-day bustle by biking, skating or simply reflecting on the day's experiences amid a soothing garden backdrop of colorful flowers. It is thickly wooded and is a great place to have picnics and concerts. There are tennis and basketball courts, a football field, athletic oval and an orchidarium.

Mines View Park

Mines-View-Park-Baguio-CityAppropriately named for its breathtaking view of Benguet's mountain ranges where gold, silver and other ores were once quarried. There are souvenir shops around the park offering such items as woodcarvings, woven cloth, ashtrays, shell products and other curio items.

Wright Park

It is sometimes mistakenly called "Ride Park" by some that identify this pine tree park reserve for kiddy horse rides. A long stairway leads to the "Pool of the Pines", a 100 meter long pool of water lined on both sides by the famous Baguio towering pine.