Baguio Latest News

P13.6M earmarked for pole relocation

BAGUIO CITY  – More than P13.6 million was earmarked by the Department of Public works and Highways – Baguio City District Engineering Office (DPWH-BCDEO) to fund the relocation of electric poles that have encroached in the road-right-of-way of national roads in the different parts of the city to prevent unnecessary obstructions that impede the smooth flow of traffic.

 

Engr. Rene Zarate, DPWH-BCDEO district engineer, said the funds were already downloaded by the DPWH central office to the district office pursuant to the pertinent provisions of a joint Memorandum circular that was signed by the Department of Energy (DOE) and the DPWH to facilitate the speedy relocation of electric poles that are located within the road-right-of-way of national roads to allow the speedy implementation of widening projects that will be implemented by the agency.

Under the provisions of the joint DOE-DPWH circular, the concerned electric cooperative is mandated to make the necessary computations on the cost of the relocation of their electric poles that are situated in the road-right-of-way of national roads and subsequently submit the same to the DPWH district office which shall in turn provide the DOE with a copy of the computations for reference and guidance.

Zarate explained that it is also provided in the joint circular that the payments to be made by the DPWH to the concerned electric cooperative will be the actual cost of the relocation minus the depreciation cost of the poles, thus, the allotted funds for the purpose will be sufficient to pay the relocation of all electric poles that were found to have encroached in the road-right-of-way along national roads in the different parts of the city to lessen the unnecessary obstructions that impede the smooth flow of traffic and the speedy implementation of infrastructure projects.

It can be recalled that the implementation of numerous infrastructure projects in the city had been delayed because of the refusal of public works contractors to pay to the Benguet Electric Cooperative (BENECO) the computed cost of the relocation of their electric poles that have allegedly encroached the road-right-of-way of national roads.

Zarate clarified that the funds will only be used for the relocation of electric poles within the road-right-of-way of national roads while it will be up to the local government to work out the provision of funds to also relocate the electric poles that have encroached the road-right of way of city and barangay roads.

He admitted that BENECO was able to submit to the agency the inventory of the electric poles that must be relocated and the computations of the required funds to be used for the relocation which is now serving as their reference in the preparation of the needed plans on how to go about the relocation of the affected poles.

The DPWH-BCDEO is the custodian of the funds that were downloaded by the central office for the implementation of the immediate relocation of the electric poles of BENECO that has been put up in the road-right-of-way of national roads in the different parts of the city.

By Dexter A. See

 

Baguio Tourist Attractions

Marker of the Philippine Commission's First Session in Baguio

This is the site of the building where the members of the Philippine Commission met from April 22 to June 11, 1904 and officially initiated the use of Baguio as the Philippine Summer Capital. The Commission was composed of Governor General Luke Wright, president, and Commissioners Henry Ide, Dean C. Worcester, T Padre Tavera, Benito Legarda, Jose de Luzuriaga, James Smith and Cameron Forbes.

Kennon Road and its Builder

Tourist-Spots-in-BaguioNamed after Col. Lyman W. Kennon, who was the final builder of the famous Benguet road, with the help of the industrious Cordillerans and foreign workers. Kennon road is the shortest and the most scenic highway linking Baguio and the lowlands. The lion's head can be found along the way. Final construction of this road was finished in 1903. Col. L. Kennon first ascended to Baguio in 1905. Of the original workers, the Igorots and Japanese were admired for their trustworthiness and willingness to work. Kennon was closed to traffic after the July 16, 1990 earthquake. It is now open to light vehicles only.

Diplomat Hotel on Dominican Hill

diplomatIn May 1911, the councils of the Province of the Dominican Order voted to construct a vacation house in Baguio on a 17-hectare property they had acquired when the American authorities were encouraging people to come here. Actual work started in 1913 under Fr. Roque Ruano and the building was inaugurated on May 23, 1925. To take advantage of the tax exemptions a school called Collegio del Santissimo Rosario was opened in June 1915 but due to the very small enrollment the school closed in 1917, reverting the building to the original vacation house. During WWII refugees first occupied it. Later the Japanese Army Liberation Forces had to bomb out the refugees from the buildings. The five hits left very extensive damage and for a time it was left unrepaired. Reconstruction was started in 1947 and completed in 1948 with most of its pre-war grandeur and beauty restored. In 1973, Diplomat Hotels, Inc. acquired ownership, remodeled the interior into a 33-bedroom hotel with modern facilities, but retained the unique and distinct personality of the Dominican Hill. In the 80's the hotel ceased operations due to the death of one of its majority stockholders. Plans are underway to develop this historical religious landmark into a tourist resort.

Philippine Military Academy

PMAThe Philippine Commission promulgated Act No. 175, which became the basis for the creation of the Philippine Constabulary in August 8, 1905. The school for the officers of the constabulary was first located in Sta. Lucia Barracks in Manila. Later in 1908, it was relocated in Baguio on the site known as Constabulary Hill later renamed Camp Henry T. Allen, in honor of the first chief of the Philippine Constabulary. With the passage of the Jones Law, the school was later changed to "Academy for Officers of the Philippine Constabulary" with a two-year curriculum. In 1908, the course was raised to collegiate level and later lengthened to three years with class 1938 as having the last graduates of that course. When the commonwealth government was established in 1935, the Philippine Military Academy was created in place of the Philippine Constabulary Academy. Under the National Defense Act, the PMA was authorized to maintain cadet strength of 350. Because of increased population, the academy transferred to Teachers Camp in June 1936 where it remained until WWII broke out. After the war the PMA headquarters was temporarily relocated at Camp Murphy and later at Alabang, while Camp Allen was being rehabilitated. Since May 1950 the Philippine Military Academy has found its permanent home at Fort del Pilar, Loakan, Baguio City.

The Mansion

The-Mansion-Baguio-CityThis imposing and majestic mansion has a long list of Filipino Presidents and American governor-generals. It has elegantly structured building and guesthouse. Its gate is patterned after that of London's Buckingham Palace. The Mansion has also been the site of several international conferences and a working office of the President of the Philippines during his visits to the City.

Camp John Hay

camp-john-hay-amphitheaterThis former American recreational facility is currently undergoing development as a world class resort. As of March 27, 1999, the golf course was completed and is now open, The skating rink, picnic area, and the mini golf course at the Scout Hill area are likewise open.

Asin Hot Spring

Located 16 kilometers northwest of Baguio, the resort's main feature is a swimming pool surrounded by thermal springs, lush vegetation and several hanging bridges. It is an ideal respite. This is now eyed to be redeveloped into a tourism resort along with the adjoining tourist attractions of Tuba and Baguio.

Bell Church

The-Bell-Church-of-Baguio-CityThis cluster of temples is located on the border of Baguio City and Trinidad Valley. Its exotic oriental architecture, pagodas roof, ornate gateway, dragon ornaments and Buddha - guarded windows gaze from atop a hill. The Bell Temple priest practices a mixture of Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism, and Christianity. One may even try having his fortune told.

Burnham Park

Burnham-Park-BaguioIt is the oldest of all Baguio parks. One can unwind from the tension of the day-to-day bustle by biking, skating or simply reflecting on the day's experiences amid a soothing garden backdrop of colorful flowers. It is thickly wooded and is a great place to have picnics and concerts. There are tennis and basketball courts, a football field, athletic oval and an orchidarium.

Mines View Park

Mines-View-Park-Baguio-CityAppropriately named for its breathtaking view of Benguet's mountain ranges where gold, silver and other ores were once quarried. There are souvenir shops around the park offering such items as woodcarvings, woven cloth, ashtrays, shell products and other curio items.

Wright Park

It is sometimes mistakenly called "Ride Park" by some that identify this pine tree park reserve for kiddy horse rides. A long stairway leads to the "Pool of the Pines", a 100 meter long pool of water lined on both sides by the famous Baguio towering pine.