Baguio Latest News

DSWD-CAR releases 100K incentive of 13 centenarians

BAGUIO CITY, Aug. 1 -- The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) –Cordillera has released a total amount of Php 1.3 million to 13 centenarians from the provinces of Abra, Apayao, Kalinga and Mountain Province as a form of recognition and assistance.


The said incentive is DSWD’s contribution in the implementation of Republic Act 10868 or the Centenarians Act of 2016, also known as an “Act Honoring and Granting Additional Benefits and Privileges to Filipino Centenarians, and for Other Purposes”.

Out of the 13, eight centenarians were able to personally receive the cash incentive. The DSWD is distributing the incentives of   the other centenarians. Incentives of the deceased centenarians, on the other hand, were received by their families or their representatives.

There were 23 centenarians who have qualified to receive the Php 100,000 incentive -nine from Mt. Province, four each from Apayao, Abra, and Kalinga and one each from Baguio City and Ifugao. However, some lacked the required documents.  

“One of the challenges that we encounter on the provision of the cash incentive to our centenarians is the lack of documents verifying their date of birth.”, DSWD-CAR OIC-Regional Director Janet P. Armas said.

DSWD’s Memorandum Circular No. 4, Series of 2017 states that the birth certificate or Philippine passport of the centenarian should be presented to the local social welfare and development officer, head of the Office of the Senior Citizens Affairs (OSCA) in partnership with a partner Civil Society Organization for the verification of the centenarian’s date of birth.

In the absence of the aforementioned documents, Senior Citizen’s identification (ID) card or any Philippine-government issued ID may also be accepted.

Meanwhile, two of the following secondary documents maybe accepted in the absence of the said primary IDs: Marriage certificate; Birth certificate of children borne by/of the centenarian issued by the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) of the Local Civil Registrar;Affidavits executed by at least two  disinterested persons who are at least 80 years old with personal knowledge of centenarian’s actual age or date of birth;Old school or employment record showing date of birth of centenarian;Baptismal and/ or Confirmation records of centenarian certified by the parish church and other religious denomination;Medical or dental examination issued by medical practitioners, or other related documents stating the date of birth of the centenarian.

In a supplemental guideline, Filipino centenarians, whether residing in the country or abroad, who were alive when the law took effect on 15 July 2016 but died before the actual implementation of the law are still entitled to receive the incentive.

This shall be received by the legal representative or the nearest surviving relative of the centenarian.

For 2017, the DSWD-CAR has already received the documents of around 79 centenarians. However, these documents are still for evaluation and verification. Incentives for the said centenarians are targeted to be released third quarter of this year.

“We will do our best to fast track the release of the incentives because we recognize that time is of the essence. We hope that all our stakeholders, especially the family of our centenarians will be proactive in the process. We also hope that the incentive will be properly used for the benefit of the centenarians”, Armas said.

Queries, comments, or grievances regarding the incentive can be forwarded to the local social welfare and development office, OSCA or to DSWD-CAR through, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or (074) 446-59-61 and look for Ms. Rojhelea Claur. (pia/ Nerizza Faye G. Villanueva-DSWD CAR)


Baguio Tourist Attractions

Marker of the Philippine Commission's First Session in Baguio

This is the site of the building where the members of the Philippine Commission met from April 22 to June 11, 1904 and officially initiated the use of Baguio as the Philippine Summer Capital. The Commission was composed of Governor General Luke Wright, president, and Commissioners Henry Ide, Dean C. Worcester, T Padre Tavera, Benito Legarda, Jose de Luzuriaga, James Smith and Cameron Forbes.

Kennon Road and its Builder

Tourist-Spots-in-BaguioNamed after Col. Lyman W. Kennon, who was the final builder of the famous Benguet road, with the help of the industrious Cordillerans and foreign workers. Kennon road is the shortest and the most scenic highway linking Baguio and the lowlands. The lion's head can be found along the way. Final construction of this road was finished in 1903. Col. L. Kennon first ascended to Baguio in 1905. Of the original workers, the Igorots and Japanese were admired for their trustworthiness and willingness to work. Kennon was closed to traffic after the July 16, 1990 earthquake. It is now open to light vehicles only.

Diplomat Hotel on Dominican Hill

diplomatIn May 1911, the councils of the Province of the Dominican Order voted to construct a vacation house in Baguio on a 17-hectare property they had acquired when the American authorities were encouraging people to come here. Actual work started in 1913 under Fr. Roque Ruano and the building was inaugurated on May 23, 1925. To take advantage of the tax exemptions a school called Collegio del Santissimo Rosario was opened in June 1915 but due to the very small enrollment the school closed in 1917, reverting the building to the original vacation house. During WWII refugees first occupied it. Later the Japanese Army Liberation Forces had to bomb out the refugees from the buildings. The five hits left very extensive damage and for a time it was left unrepaired. Reconstruction was started in 1947 and completed in 1948 with most of its pre-war grandeur and beauty restored. In 1973, Diplomat Hotels, Inc. acquired ownership, remodeled the interior into a 33-bedroom hotel with modern facilities, but retained the unique and distinct personality of the Dominican Hill. In the 80's the hotel ceased operations due to the death of one of its majority stockholders. Plans are underway to develop this historical religious landmark into a tourist resort.

Philippine Military Academy

PMAThe Philippine Commission promulgated Act No. 175, which became the basis for the creation of the Philippine Constabulary in August 8, 1905. The school for the officers of the constabulary was first located in Sta. Lucia Barracks in Manila. Later in 1908, it was relocated in Baguio on the site known as Constabulary Hill later renamed Camp Henry T. Allen, in honor of the first chief of the Philippine Constabulary. With the passage of the Jones Law, the school was later changed to "Academy for Officers of the Philippine Constabulary" with a two-year curriculum. In 1908, the course was raised to collegiate level and later lengthened to three years with class 1938 as having the last graduates of that course. When the commonwealth government was established in 1935, the Philippine Military Academy was created in place of the Philippine Constabulary Academy. Under the National Defense Act, the PMA was authorized to maintain cadet strength of 350. Because of increased population, the academy transferred to Teachers Camp in June 1936 where it remained until WWII broke out. After the war the PMA headquarters was temporarily relocated at Camp Murphy and later at Alabang, while Camp Allen was being rehabilitated. Since May 1950 the Philippine Military Academy has found its permanent home at Fort del Pilar, Loakan, Baguio City.

The Mansion

The-Mansion-Baguio-CityThis imposing and majestic mansion has a long list of Filipino Presidents and American governor-generals. It has elegantly structured building and guesthouse. Its gate is patterned after that of London's Buckingham Palace. The Mansion has also been the site of several international conferences and a working office of the President of the Philippines during his visits to the City.

Camp John Hay

camp-john-hay-amphitheaterThis former American recreational facility is currently undergoing development as a world class resort. As of March 27, 1999, the golf course was completed and is now open, The skating rink, picnic area, and the mini golf course at the Scout Hill area are likewise open.

Asin Hot Spring

Located 16 kilometers northwest of Baguio, the resort's main feature is a swimming pool surrounded by thermal springs, lush vegetation and several hanging bridges. It is an ideal respite. This is now eyed to be redeveloped into a tourism resort along with the adjoining tourist attractions of Tuba and Baguio.

Bell Church

The-Bell-Church-of-Baguio-CityThis cluster of temples is located on the border of Baguio City and Trinidad Valley. Its exotic oriental architecture, pagodas roof, ornate gateway, dragon ornaments and Buddha - guarded windows gaze from atop a hill. The Bell Temple priest practices a mixture of Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism, and Christianity. One may even try having his fortune told.

Burnham Park

Burnham-Park-BaguioIt is the oldest of all Baguio parks. One can unwind from the tension of the day-to-day bustle by biking, skating or simply reflecting on the day's experiences amid a soothing garden backdrop of colorful flowers. It is thickly wooded and is a great place to have picnics and concerts. There are tennis and basketball courts, a football field, athletic oval and an orchidarium.

Mines View Park

Mines-View-Park-Baguio-CityAppropriately named for its breathtaking view of Benguet's mountain ranges where gold, silver and other ores were once quarried. There are souvenir shops around the park offering such items as woodcarvings, woven cloth, ashtrays, shell products and other curio items.

Wright Park

It is sometimes mistakenly called "Ride Park" by some that identify this pine tree park reserve for kiddy horse rides. A long stairway leads to the "Pool of the Pines", a 100 meter long pool of water lined on both sides by the famous Baguio towering pine.