Baguio Latest News

NCCA calls for project partners in the promotion of cultural heritage and arts

BAGUIO CITY, July 28, (PIA) -- The National Commission for Culture and the Arts (NCCA) is now accepting proposals for the 2018 NCCA Grants Program.

 

NCCA Arts Section Head Ferdinand Isleta said during the Kapihan sa Baguio  last week that the NCCA is looking for project partners who maybe individuals or groups who have culture and arts project proposals that can be funded and implemented in 2018.

Project proposals should be aligned to the preservation and promotion of cultural heritage and the arts, Isleta said.

NCCA chairman, National Artist Virgilio S. Almario and Executive Director Rico S. Pableo Jr. continue to fulfill the Commission’s mandate to preserve, develop and promote Philippine arts and culture by giving grants to arts and cultural projects,  Isleta said.

Through the National Endowment Fund for Culture and the Arts (NEFCA), the NCCA provides assistance to civil society organizations   people’s organizations,   indigenous peoples organizations, individuals, local government units, government agencies, state universities and colleges and public schools through its NCCA Grants Program, and Institutional Programs such as the Outreach Program, Resource Persons and Experts Bureau Program, and the Technical Assistance Program.

Projects are categorized into arts, heritage, cultural dissemination and cultural communities and traditional arts which define its thrusts and priorities anchored mainly on the NCCA vision of “Filipino culture as the wellspring of national and global well-being.”

This is also aligned with the Philippine Development Plan (PDP) 2017-2022: Chapter 7 on Culture – Promoting Philippine Culture and Values.

Isleta explained that for the first time, a section of the PDP is dedicated to culture through the initiatives of President Rodrigo Duterte who has shown that his administration prioritizes cultural heritage and the arts.

NCCA Subcommittee on Library Arts member Dr. Priscilla Macansantos lauded the NCCA for bringing the call for project proposal to the city of Baguio and the Cordillera. She said that more cultural workers in the region have meaningful culture and arts proposals and this is their opportunity to promote it.

NCCA Subcommittee on Cinema member Art Tibaldo encouraged his fellow filmmakers to avail of the different grants and opportunities that the NCCA is offering which would help in the different projects and activities of filmmakers in Baguio City and the Cordillera.

Chanum Foundation Vice President Cihit Asignacion and a member of the NCCA Subcommittee on Art Gallery, also urged local artists in the region to submit their project proposals and help promote the cultural heritage and arts of the Filipinos. He said that many of the artistic ideas are waiting to be discovered and be promoted in Baguio City and the Cordillera.

Project briefs as well as guidelines and requirements are downloadable in the NCCA website.

Deadline for submission of letters of intent and proposals is on August 31, 2017. It must be submitted to the Planning, Policy Formulation and Programming Division (PPFPD) through Division Chief Bernan Corpuz at Rm. 5-B 5/F, NCCA Bldg., 633 Gen. Luna St., Intramuros, Manila.

Proposals may also be submitted via email through This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., and This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

For inquiries on the NCCA Grants Programs, contact PPFPD through direct line (02)522 2084, trunkline number 527 2192 and email address This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. (JDP/ RMC & UC Interns -PIA CAR)

 

Baguio Tourist Attractions

Marker of the Philippine Commission's First Session in Baguio

This is the site of the building where the members of the Philippine Commission met from April 22 to June 11, 1904 and officially initiated the use of Baguio as the Philippine Summer Capital. The Commission was composed of Governor General Luke Wright, president, and Commissioners Henry Ide, Dean C. Worcester, T Padre Tavera, Benito Legarda, Jose de Luzuriaga, James Smith and Cameron Forbes.

Kennon Road and its Builder

Tourist-Spots-in-BaguioNamed after Col. Lyman W. Kennon, who was the final builder of the famous Benguet road, with the help of the industrious Cordillerans and foreign workers. Kennon road is the shortest and the most scenic highway linking Baguio and the lowlands. The lion's head can be found along the way. Final construction of this road was finished in 1903. Col. L. Kennon first ascended to Baguio in 1905. Of the original workers, the Igorots and Japanese were admired for their trustworthiness and willingness to work. Kennon was closed to traffic after the July 16, 1990 earthquake. It is now open to light vehicles only.

Diplomat Hotel on Dominican Hill

diplomatIn May 1911, the councils of the Province of the Dominican Order voted to construct a vacation house in Baguio on a 17-hectare property they had acquired when the American authorities were encouraging people to come here. Actual work started in 1913 under Fr. Roque Ruano and the building was inaugurated on May 23, 1925. To take advantage of the tax exemptions a school called Collegio del Santissimo Rosario was opened in June 1915 but due to the very small enrollment the school closed in 1917, reverting the building to the original vacation house. During WWII refugees first occupied it. Later the Japanese Army Liberation Forces had to bomb out the refugees from the buildings. The five hits left very extensive damage and for a time it was left unrepaired. Reconstruction was started in 1947 and completed in 1948 with most of its pre-war grandeur and beauty restored. In 1973, Diplomat Hotels, Inc. acquired ownership, remodeled the interior into a 33-bedroom hotel with modern facilities, but retained the unique and distinct personality of the Dominican Hill. In the 80's the hotel ceased operations due to the death of one of its majority stockholders. Plans are underway to develop this historical religious landmark into a tourist resort.

Philippine Military Academy

PMAThe Philippine Commission promulgated Act No. 175, which became the basis for the creation of the Philippine Constabulary in August 8, 1905. The school for the officers of the constabulary was first located in Sta. Lucia Barracks in Manila. Later in 1908, it was relocated in Baguio on the site known as Constabulary Hill later renamed Camp Henry T. Allen, in honor of the first chief of the Philippine Constabulary. With the passage of the Jones Law, the school was later changed to "Academy for Officers of the Philippine Constabulary" with a two-year curriculum. In 1908, the course was raised to collegiate level and later lengthened to three years with class 1938 as having the last graduates of that course. When the commonwealth government was established in 1935, the Philippine Military Academy was created in place of the Philippine Constabulary Academy. Under the National Defense Act, the PMA was authorized to maintain cadet strength of 350. Because of increased population, the academy transferred to Teachers Camp in June 1936 where it remained until WWII broke out. After the war the PMA headquarters was temporarily relocated at Camp Murphy and later at Alabang, while Camp Allen was being rehabilitated. Since May 1950 the Philippine Military Academy has found its permanent home at Fort del Pilar, Loakan, Baguio City.

The Mansion

The-Mansion-Baguio-CityThis imposing and majestic mansion has a long list of Filipino Presidents and American governor-generals. It has elegantly structured building and guesthouse. Its gate is patterned after that of London's Buckingham Palace. The Mansion has also been the site of several international conferences and a working office of the President of the Philippines during his visits to the City.

Camp John Hay

camp-john-hay-amphitheaterThis former American recreational facility is currently undergoing development as a world class resort. As of March 27, 1999, the golf course was completed and is now open, The skating rink, picnic area, and the mini golf course at the Scout Hill area are likewise open.

Asin Hot Spring

Located 16 kilometers northwest of Baguio, the resort's main feature is a swimming pool surrounded by thermal springs, lush vegetation and several hanging bridges. It is an ideal respite. This is now eyed to be redeveloped into a tourism resort along with the adjoining tourist attractions of Tuba and Baguio.

Bell Church

The-Bell-Church-of-Baguio-CityThis cluster of temples is located on the border of Baguio City and Trinidad Valley. Its exotic oriental architecture, pagodas roof, ornate gateway, dragon ornaments and Buddha - guarded windows gaze from atop a hill. The Bell Temple priest practices a mixture of Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism, and Christianity. One may even try having his fortune told.

Burnham Park

Burnham-Park-BaguioIt is the oldest of all Baguio parks. One can unwind from the tension of the day-to-day bustle by biking, skating or simply reflecting on the day's experiences amid a soothing garden backdrop of colorful flowers. It is thickly wooded and is a great place to have picnics and concerts. There are tennis and basketball courts, a football field, athletic oval and an orchidarium.

Mines View Park

Mines-View-Park-Baguio-CityAppropriately named for its breathtaking view of Benguet's mountain ranges where gold, silver and other ores were once quarried. There are souvenir shops around the park offering such items as woodcarvings, woven cloth, ashtrays, shell products and other curio items.

Wright Park

It is sometimes mistakenly called "Ride Park" by some that identify this pine tree park reserve for kiddy horse rides. A long stairway leads to the "Pool of the Pines", a 100 meter long pool of water lined on both sides by the famous Baguio towering pine.