Baguio Latest News

Families of fallen heroes receive financial support from private sector

BAGUIO CITY, July 28 (PIA) – Families  of  the three Cordilleran fallen heroes of Marawi City were among the 101 families who received financial support at the Malacañan Palace on Tuesday, July 25.

 

President Rodrigo Duterte witnessed the turnover of financial assistance from Go Negosyo Kapatid Family Fund and Federation of Filipino-Chinese Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Inc. to the families of the 101 soldiers and policemen who have laid down their lives in service of the country.

Among the recipients  of the  “Magigiting na Mandirigma: Go Negosyo Kapatid for Marawi Financial Assistance for Families of the Fallen Heroes”  are  the  families Cordilleran heroes namely Police Senior Inspector Freddie Manuel Solar of Baguio City, Philippine Army Corporal Benito Serrano of Conner,

Euphenia Tinangag, sister of PFC Tinangag, thanked President Duterte and the Go Negosyo Team for the support they are giving to the family members of the fallen troops.

Euphenia and other family members who came all the way  from their hometown in Barlig, are very thankful that the heroism of their brother is being recognized. She said that the financial support would also be helpful for their family.

President Duterte in his message  extended his condolences to the families of Filipino soldiers and policemen killed in action while fighting for the liberation of the Islamic City as he  expressed gratitude for the assistance of the private sector to the families of the fallen government troops and for the rehabilitation of the besieged city.

“To the Go Negosyo Kapatid Family Care Fund under the Go Negosyo Kapatid for Marawi Program, your tireless efforts show that nothing is impossible as long as we work together,” the President said. “I hope that we can continue this harmonious partnership to bring back prosperity, not only for Marawi but for the rest of the country,” he added.

Go Negosyo Founder and Presidential Adviser for Entrepreneurship Joey Concepcion in his message shared that the intent of the event is to show the unwavering commitment of the private sector to inclusivity and peace and its genuine gratitude to the heroes through helping their families get through these tragic times.

 “What your sons have done for this country is truly admirable. They are heroes of this country, and all those grieving here truly understand how much this pains you. Today, we celebrate the heroic deeds they have done for this country,” Concepcion said.

Before the program, officials including former president Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo approached the wives and parents of the fallen troops and condoled and conversed with them.

During the turnover ceremony, the families were personally greeted by the President. He even took some of the children to sit on his lap and even took photos.

Among the donors of the Go Negosyo Kapatid who attended and showed their support through their donations to the grieving families were the Federation of Filipino-Chinese Chambers of Commerce and Industry, Tessie Sy-Coson (BDO, SM Group), Josephine Gotianun Yap (Filinvest), Jaime Zobel de Ayala (Ayala Corporation), Manny Pangilinan (PLDT SMART Foundation), DU30 Cabinet Spouses Association, Alfred Ty (Metrobank Foundation), Jean Henri Lhuillier (Cebuana Lhuillier), Mildred Vitangcol (St. Peter's Chapel), Alice Eduardo (Sta. Elena Corporation), Federico Lopez (First Philippine Holdings), Michael Tan (Asia Brewery & Philippine Airlines), Tony Tan Caktiong (Jollibee Foods Corporation), Injap Sia (Double Dragon Properties), Joey Concepcion (RFM Corporation), Jojo Concepcion (Concepcion Industries), William Belo (Wilcon Depot), Dennis Uy (Chelsea Logistics), Santi Araneta (LBC), and Sabin Aboitiz (Aboitiz Corporation). (JDP/RMC –PIA CAR)

 

Baguio Tourist Attractions

Marker of the Philippine Commission's First Session in Baguio

This is the site of the building where the members of the Philippine Commission met from April 22 to June 11, 1904 and officially initiated the use of Baguio as the Philippine Summer Capital. The Commission was composed of Governor General Luke Wright, president, and Commissioners Henry Ide, Dean C. Worcester, T Padre Tavera, Benito Legarda, Jose de Luzuriaga, James Smith and Cameron Forbes.

Kennon Road and its Builder

Tourist-Spots-in-BaguioNamed after Col. Lyman W. Kennon, who was the final builder of the famous Benguet road, with the help of the industrious Cordillerans and foreign workers. Kennon road is the shortest and the most scenic highway linking Baguio and the lowlands. The lion's head can be found along the way. Final construction of this road was finished in 1903. Col. L. Kennon first ascended to Baguio in 1905. Of the original workers, the Igorots and Japanese were admired for their trustworthiness and willingness to work. Kennon was closed to traffic after the July 16, 1990 earthquake. It is now open to light vehicles only.

Diplomat Hotel on Dominican Hill

diplomatIn May 1911, the councils of the Province of the Dominican Order voted to construct a vacation house in Baguio on a 17-hectare property they had acquired when the American authorities were encouraging people to come here. Actual work started in 1913 under Fr. Roque Ruano and the building was inaugurated on May 23, 1925. To take advantage of the tax exemptions a school called Collegio del Santissimo Rosario was opened in June 1915 but due to the very small enrollment the school closed in 1917, reverting the building to the original vacation house. During WWII refugees first occupied it. Later the Japanese Army Liberation Forces had to bomb out the refugees from the buildings. The five hits left very extensive damage and for a time it was left unrepaired. Reconstruction was started in 1947 and completed in 1948 with most of its pre-war grandeur and beauty restored. In 1973, Diplomat Hotels, Inc. acquired ownership, remodeled the interior into a 33-bedroom hotel with modern facilities, but retained the unique and distinct personality of the Dominican Hill. In the 80's the hotel ceased operations due to the death of one of its majority stockholders. Plans are underway to develop this historical religious landmark into a tourist resort.

Philippine Military Academy

PMAThe Philippine Commission promulgated Act No. 175, which became the basis for the creation of the Philippine Constabulary in August 8, 1905. The school for the officers of the constabulary was first located in Sta. Lucia Barracks in Manila. Later in 1908, it was relocated in Baguio on the site known as Constabulary Hill later renamed Camp Henry T. Allen, in honor of the first chief of the Philippine Constabulary. With the passage of the Jones Law, the school was later changed to "Academy for Officers of the Philippine Constabulary" with a two-year curriculum. In 1908, the course was raised to collegiate level and later lengthened to three years with class 1938 as having the last graduates of that course. When the commonwealth government was established in 1935, the Philippine Military Academy was created in place of the Philippine Constabulary Academy. Under the National Defense Act, the PMA was authorized to maintain cadet strength of 350. Because of increased population, the academy transferred to Teachers Camp in June 1936 where it remained until WWII broke out. After the war the PMA headquarters was temporarily relocated at Camp Murphy and later at Alabang, while Camp Allen was being rehabilitated. Since May 1950 the Philippine Military Academy has found its permanent home at Fort del Pilar, Loakan, Baguio City.

The Mansion

The-Mansion-Baguio-CityThis imposing and majestic mansion has a long list of Filipino Presidents and American governor-generals. It has elegantly structured building and guesthouse. Its gate is patterned after that of London's Buckingham Palace. The Mansion has also been the site of several international conferences and a working office of the President of the Philippines during his visits to the City.

Camp John Hay

camp-john-hay-amphitheaterThis former American recreational facility is currently undergoing development as a world class resort. As of March 27, 1999, the golf course was completed and is now open, The skating rink, picnic area, and the mini golf course at the Scout Hill area are likewise open.

Asin Hot Spring

Located 16 kilometers northwest of Baguio, the resort's main feature is a swimming pool surrounded by thermal springs, lush vegetation and several hanging bridges. It is an ideal respite. This is now eyed to be redeveloped into a tourism resort along with the adjoining tourist attractions of Tuba and Baguio.

Bell Church

The-Bell-Church-of-Baguio-CityThis cluster of temples is located on the border of Baguio City and Trinidad Valley. Its exotic oriental architecture, pagodas roof, ornate gateway, dragon ornaments and Buddha - guarded windows gaze from atop a hill. The Bell Temple priest practices a mixture of Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism, and Christianity. One may even try having his fortune told.

Burnham Park

Burnham-Park-BaguioIt is the oldest of all Baguio parks. One can unwind from the tension of the day-to-day bustle by biking, skating or simply reflecting on the day's experiences amid a soothing garden backdrop of colorful flowers. It is thickly wooded and is a great place to have picnics and concerts. There are tennis and basketball courts, a football field, athletic oval and an orchidarium.

Mines View Park

Mines-View-Park-Baguio-CityAppropriately named for its breathtaking view of Benguet's mountain ranges where gold, silver and other ores were once quarried. There are souvenir shops around the park offering such items as woodcarvings, woven cloth, ashtrays, shell products and other curio items.

Wright Park

It is sometimes mistakenly called "Ride Park" by some that identify this pine tree park reserve for kiddy horse rides. A long stairway leads to the "Pool of the Pines", a 100 meter long pool of water lined on both sides by the famous Baguio towering pine.