Baguio Latest News

Tam-awan International Festival highlights Cordilleran structures, architectures

BAGUIO CITY, June 5(PIA) – The wonderful man-made architectural structures in the Cordillera region and the other provinces in the country are the main feature of the 8th edition of the Tam-awan International Arts Festival here recently.

 

In collaboration with the National Commission for Culture and the Arts, Chanum Foundation again gathered more than a hundred artists from all over the country and even from abroad to the annual art festival series at the Tam-awan Village on May 17 – 21.

Chanum Foundation President Jordan Mangosan said that the staging of the 8th TIAF reaches out to the whole country making way for presentations from the far northern Ivatan houses of Batanes to the southern Balanghai boathouses of Mindanao.

“Artists from all over the country gathered in the small village to learn and share their knowledge on the different architectural designs and structures nationwide highlighting the Cordillera structures such as the native huts of the various tribes and provinces,” Mangosan said.

Saint Louis University Museum curator Ike Picpican kicked of the talks during the TIAF with the presentation and discussion on the Cordillera homes while Architect Mico Manalo discussed the infrastructure guidelines for UNESCO World Heritage Sites in the Cordilleras.

 Ruth Elyn Dino, Historical coordinator of Tublay, Benguet talked about the Bangkilay or the traditional ceremonial structure of the Ibaloys.

Mountain Province and Kalinga Peace Pact Holder Floro Wageyen talked on the ‘Dap-ay’ which functions as a political, economic and religious unit in the community. It is used to refer to an open meeting place made of stone slabs where a bonfire is usually set at its center, it also refers to the group of elders who serve as the governing body in the community, pre-existing any modern-day form of government.

Other speakers included Butuanon Visual Artist Renante Dublois on the Balanghai Boat History with the Balangays invaluable contribution in the realm of navigation and Filipino craftsmanship while cultural heritage promotions, research and development art manager and professor, Dr. Oliver Rabara, discussed Local Indigenousness of Vigan architecture.

Roland Cruz, Volkswagen Collectibles Museum director and Ayala Museum assistant manager for exhibition design tackled Science of Exhibition Design, and NCCA Visual Artist Committee head Egai Talusan Fernandez shared about Art Into the Mainstream.

Workshops by artists from other regions also were showcased including the Bahay Buhay… Buhay Bahay by the Philippine Arts Educators Association, the Wire Sculpture by Don Reich De Dios, Kapampangan based cultural worker who focuses his visual expression with the use of contemporary media, and the Ivatan House by the Batanes Cultural Workers, a group of local artists, art educators and musicians that promote the culture and heritage of Batanes.

Aside from the various talks of artists and experts, the Tam-awan artists also hosted the art workshop for students and other artists particularly on oil pastel by Alfonso Dato and Jayson Duclan; mono print by Art Lozano Mark Tandoyog and Alfred Dato; acrylic painting on stones by Herwin Buccat and Lester Rodriguez; Dream catcher and God’s eye making by Lily Villanueva, Jen Lorenzo and Luisa Galang; Kusudama Lantern Making by Tara Natividad; Sand Art by Edwin Macadaeg and Solar drawing by Jordan Mangosan assisted by Gretta Apolinar and Marilyn Bulayo.

Mayor Mauricio Domogan commended the Chanum Foundation and the Tam-awan artists for sustaining the Arts Festival which   gathers various artists from all over the country to let them see the rich culture, arts and tradition of the Cordillera region.

He also assured support to the artists’ group and their endeavors as they are partners for development particularly on culture, arts and even tourism in the city.

For eight years now, Tam-awan Village hosted art festivals with different themes, promoted arts and culture, welcomed local and international artists and created a big network of friends-galleries, educators, art enthusiasts and more. (JDP/RMC-PIA CAR & UC Interns)

 

Baguio Tourist Attractions

Marker of the Philippine Commission's First Session in Baguio

This is the site of the building where the members of the Philippine Commission met from April 22 to June 11, 1904 and officially initiated the use of Baguio as the Philippine Summer Capital. The Commission was composed of Governor General Luke Wright, president, and Commissioners Henry Ide, Dean C. Worcester, T Padre Tavera, Benito Legarda, Jose de Luzuriaga, James Smith and Cameron Forbes.

Kennon Road and its Builder

Tourist-Spots-in-BaguioNamed after Col. Lyman W. Kennon, who was the final builder of the famous Benguet road, with the help of the industrious Cordillerans and foreign workers. Kennon road is the shortest and the most scenic highway linking Baguio and the lowlands. The lion's head can be found along the way. Final construction of this road was finished in 1903. Col. L. Kennon first ascended to Baguio in 1905. Of the original workers, the Igorots and Japanese were admired for their trustworthiness and willingness to work. Kennon was closed to traffic after the July 16, 1990 earthquake. It is now open to light vehicles only.

Diplomat Hotel on Dominican Hill

diplomatIn May 1911, the councils of the Province of the Dominican Order voted to construct a vacation house in Baguio on a 17-hectare property they had acquired when the American authorities were encouraging people to come here. Actual work started in 1913 under Fr. Roque Ruano and the building was inaugurated on May 23, 1925. To take advantage of the tax exemptions a school called Collegio del Santissimo Rosario was opened in June 1915 but due to the very small enrollment the school closed in 1917, reverting the building to the original vacation house. During WWII refugees first occupied it. Later the Japanese Army Liberation Forces had to bomb out the refugees from the buildings. The five hits left very extensive damage and for a time it was left unrepaired. Reconstruction was started in 1947 and completed in 1948 with most of its pre-war grandeur and beauty restored. In 1973, Diplomat Hotels, Inc. acquired ownership, remodeled the interior into a 33-bedroom hotel with modern facilities, but retained the unique and distinct personality of the Dominican Hill. In the 80's the hotel ceased operations due to the death of one of its majority stockholders. Plans are underway to develop this historical religious landmark into a tourist resort.

Philippine Military Academy

PMAThe Philippine Commission promulgated Act No. 175, which became the basis for the creation of the Philippine Constabulary in August 8, 1905. The school for the officers of the constabulary was first located in Sta. Lucia Barracks in Manila. Later in 1908, it was relocated in Baguio on the site known as Constabulary Hill later renamed Camp Henry T. Allen, in honor of the first chief of the Philippine Constabulary. With the passage of the Jones Law, the school was later changed to "Academy for Officers of the Philippine Constabulary" with a two-year curriculum. In 1908, the course was raised to collegiate level and later lengthened to three years with class 1938 as having the last graduates of that course. When the commonwealth government was established in 1935, the Philippine Military Academy was created in place of the Philippine Constabulary Academy. Under the National Defense Act, the PMA was authorized to maintain cadet strength of 350. Because of increased population, the academy transferred to Teachers Camp in June 1936 where it remained until WWII broke out. After the war the PMA headquarters was temporarily relocated at Camp Murphy and later at Alabang, while Camp Allen was being rehabilitated. Since May 1950 the Philippine Military Academy has found its permanent home at Fort del Pilar, Loakan, Baguio City.

The Mansion

The-Mansion-Baguio-CityThis imposing and majestic mansion has a long list of Filipino Presidents and American governor-generals. It has elegantly structured building and guesthouse. Its gate is patterned after that of London's Buckingham Palace. The Mansion has also been the site of several international conferences and a working office of the President of the Philippines during his visits to the City.

Camp John Hay

camp-john-hay-amphitheaterThis former American recreational facility is currently undergoing development as a world class resort. As of March 27, 1999, the golf course was completed and is now open, The skating rink, picnic area, and the mini golf course at the Scout Hill area are likewise open.

Asin Hot Spring

Located 16 kilometers northwest of Baguio, the resort's main feature is a swimming pool surrounded by thermal springs, lush vegetation and several hanging bridges. It is an ideal respite. This is now eyed to be redeveloped into a tourism resort along with the adjoining tourist attractions of Tuba and Baguio.

Bell Church

The-Bell-Church-of-Baguio-CityThis cluster of temples is located on the border of Baguio City and Trinidad Valley. Its exotic oriental architecture, pagodas roof, ornate gateway, dragon ornaments and Buddha - guarded windows gaze from atop a hill. The Bell Temple priest practices a mixture of Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism, and Christianity. One may even try having his fortune told.

Burnham Park

Burnham-Park-BaguioIt is the oldest of all Baguio parks. One can unwind from the tension of the day-to-day bustle by biking, skating or simply reflecting on the day's experiences amid a soothing garden backdrop of colorful flowers. It is thickly wooded and is a great place to have picnics and concerts. There are tennis and basketball courts, a football field, athletic oval and an orchidarium.

Mines View Park

Mines-View-Park-Baguio-CityAppropriately named for its breathtaking view of Benguet's mountain ranges where gold, silver and other ores were once quarried. There are souvenir shops around the park offering such items as woodcarvings, woven cloth, ashtrays, shell products and other curio items.

Wright Park

It is sometimes mistakenly called "Ride Park" by some that identify this pine tree park reserve for kiddy horse rides. A long stairway leads to the "Pool of the Pines", a 100 meter long pool of water lined on both sides by the famous Baguio towering pine.