Baguio Latest News

RDC-CAR endorses 167 major roads projects in Cordillera

BAGUIO CITY, May 31- - The Cordillera Regional Development Council (RDC-CAR) recently endorsed for funding and implementation 167 major road projects in the region in the next few years.

 

Sixty-three (63) of these are under Department of Trade and Industry(DTI)-Department of Public Works and Highways(DPWH)  convergence program while 104 are under the Department of Tourism(DOT)-DPWH convergence program. These were endorsed to the Secretaries of the DOT, DTI and DPWH by the Regional Development Council-CAR through Resolution No. 30 and 31 Series of 2017, during the RDC meeting in Bontoc, Mountain Province last April 7.

These road programs are expected to contribute to an improved socio economic condition especially in the hinterlands of the Cordillera.

The DTI-DPWH Convergence Program is also called the Roads Leveraging Linkages of Industry and Trade (ROLL IT) Program.It is anchored to the country’s long term vision, “Ambisyon Natin 2040”, which envisions a predominantly middle-class society with enhanced standards of living, and aims to eradicate hunger and poverty. The 63 road project proposalsin CAR under the DTI-DPWH convergence are distributed as follows: Abra – 7, Apayao – 14, Benguet – 7, Ifugao – 11, Kalinga – 13, and Mountain Province – 11.

Some of the major projects under the DTI – DPWH convergence program  are; (a) Construction of Nagpaoayan-Mapisla Road to support the coffee industry in Licuan-Baay,Abra;  (b)  Improvement of Santa Maria–Mallig Road in support to the banana and handicraft, rice and corn and tourism Industries in Apayao; (c) Improvement of Baguio Bontoc Road JNR Gulweng-Nawal-Tikey-Daclan, Bokod with one bridge in Benguet; (d) Improvement/Concreting of Bulanao-Paracelis Road Junction in Mallong, Cudal in support to the feed mill industry and processed food industry in Kalinga; and (e) Construction/Improvement of Poblacion, Paracelis-Bantay-Buringal Road in support to the banana, cacao, corn and tourism industries of Paracelis, Mountain Province. These projects will link agricultural producing areas in the region to the market centers to decrease transportation cost thereby increasing income and reducing poverty especially among farmers.

The DOT-DPWH Convergence Program is also called the Tourism Road Infrastructure Program (TRIP) and seeks to boost tourism infrastructure projects in priority tourist destination areas. These road projects aim toenhance access to tourism gateways, service centers and tourism sitesin the Cordillera.This is also in support of the National Tourism Development Plan (NTDP).The  104  tourism road projects are distributed across provinces as follows: Abra – 10, Apayao – 4, Benguet – 24, Ifugao – 28, Kalinga – 16, and Mountain Province – 16, and Baguio City – 6.

Under the TRIP are two important projects leading to Mount  Pulag National Park namely: (a) Construction and Improvement of Ballay-Tangan-Lusod Access Road costing Php 927 million, and (b) Construction and Improvement of Kaling Bridge – Lower Bashoy – Upper Babadak road costing Php 210M. The Mount Pulag National Park is the highest peak in Luzon and a favorite adventure tourist destination in the country. It provides the thrill of witnessing a beautiful sunrise above the clouds and on the peak of Mount Pulag aside from a rare glimpse of endangered species of flora (like the dwarf bamboo) and fauna (e.g., the cloud rat, kock’s pita, serpent eagle, Philippine deer, Philippine pig, etc.). (Jc/DRD/NEDA)

 

 

Baguio Tourist Attractions

Marker of the Philippine Commission's First Session in Baguio

This is the site of the building where the members of the Philippine Commission met from April 22 to June 11, 1904 and officially initiated the use of Baguio as the Philippine Summer Capital. The Commission was composed of Governor General Luke Wright, president, and Commissioners Henry Ide, Dean C. Worcester, T Padre Tavera, Benito Legarda, Jose de Luzuriaga, James Smith and Cameron Forbes.

Kennon Road and its Builder

Tourist-Spots-in-BaguioNamed after Col. Lyman W. Kennon, who was the final builder of the famous Benguet road, with the help of the industrious Cordillerans and foreign workers. Kennon road is the shortest and the most scenic highway linking Baguio and the lowlands. The lion's head can be found along the way. Final construction of this road was finished in 1903. Col. L. Kennon first ascended to Baguio in 1905. Of the original workers, the Igorots and Japanese were admired for their trustworthiness and willingness to work. Kennon was closed to traffic after the July 16, 1990 earthquake. It is now open to light vehicles only.

Diplomat Hotel on Dominican Hill

diplomatIn May 1911, the councils of the Province of the Dominican Order voted to construct a vacation house in Baguio on a 17-hectare property they had acquired when the American authorities were encouraging people to come here. Actual work started in 1913 under Fr. Roque Ruano and the building was inaugurated on May 23, 1925. To take advantage of the tax exemptions a school called Collegio del Santissimo Rosario was opened in June 1915 but due to the very small enrollment the school closed in 1917, reverting the building to the original vacation house. During WWII refugees first occupied it. Later the Japanese Army Liberation Forces had to bomb out the refugees from the buildings. The five hits left very extensive damage and for a time it was left unrepaired. Reconstruction was started in 1947 and completed in 1948 with most of its pre-war grandeur and beauty restored. In 1973, Diplomat Hotels, Inc. acquired ownership, remodeled the interior into a 33-bedroom hotel with modern facilities, but retained the unique and distinct personality of the Dominican Hill. In the 80's the hotel ceased operations due to the death of one of its majority stockholders. Plans are underway to develop this historical religious landmark into a tourist resort.

Philippine Military Academy

PMAThe Philippine Commission promulgated Act No. 175, which became the basis for the creation of the Philippine Constabulary in August 8, 1905. The school for the officers of the constabulary was first located in Sta. Lucia Barracks in Manila. Later in 1908, it was relocated in Baguio on the site known as Constabulary Hill later renamed Camp Henry T. Allen, in honor of the first chief of the Philippine Constabulary. With the passage of the Jones Law, the school was later changed to "Academy for Officers of the Philippine Constabulary" with a two-year curriculum. In 1908, the course was raised to collegiate level and later lengthened to three years with class 1938 as having the last graduates of that course. When the commonwealth government was established in 1935, the Philippine Military Academy was created in place of the Philippine Constabulary Academy. Under the National Defense Act, the PMA was authorized to maintain cadet strength of 350. Because of increased population, the academy transferred to Teachers Camp in June 1936 where it remained until WWII broke out. After the war the PMA headquarters was temporarily relocated at Camp Murphy and later at Alabang, while Camp Allen was being rehabilitated. Since May 1950 the Philippine Military Academy has found its permanent home at Fort del Pilar, Loakan, Baguio City.

The Mansion

The-Mansion-Baguio-CityThis imposing and majestic mansion has a long list of Filipino Presidents and American governor-generals. It has elegantly structured building and guesthouse. Its gate is patterned after that of London's Buckingham Palace. The Mansion has also been the site of several international conferences and a working office of the President of the Philippines during his visits to the City.

Camp John Hay

camp-john-hay-amphitheaterThis former American recreational facility is currently undergoing development as a world class resort. As of March 27, 1999, the golf course was completed and is now open, The skating rink, picnic area, and the mini golf course at the Scout Hill area are likewise open.

Asin Hot Spring

Located 16 kilometers northwest of Baguio, the resort's main feature is a swimming pool surrounded by thermal springs, lush vegetation and several hanging bridges. It is an ideal respite. This is now eyed to be redeveloped into a tourism resort along with the adjoining tourist attractions of Tuba and Baguio.

Bell Church

The-Bell-Church-of-Baguio-CityThis cluster of temples is located on the border of Baguio City and Trinidad Valley. Its exotic oriental architecture, pagodas roof, ornate gateway, dragon ornaments and Buddha - guarded windows gaze from atop a hill. The Bell Temple priest practices a mixture of Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism, and Christianity. One may even try having his fortune told.

Burnham Park

Burnham-Park-BaguioIt is the oldest of all Baguio parks. One can unwind from the tension of the day-to-day bustle by biking, skating or simply reflecting on the day's experiences amid a soothing garden backdrop of colorful flowers. It is thickly wooded and is a great place to have picnics and concerts. There are tennis and basketball courts, a football field, athletic oval and an orchidarium.

Mines View Park

Mines-View-Park-Baguio-CityAppropriately named for its breathtaking view of Benguet's mountain ranges where gold, silver and other ores were once quarried. There are souvenir shops around the park offering such items as woodcarvings, woven cloth, ashtrays, shell products and other curio items.

Wright Park

It is sometimes mistakenly called "Ride Park" by some that identify this pine tree park reserve for kiddy horse rides. A long stairway leads to the "Pool of the Pines", a 100 meter long pool of water lined on both sides by the famous Baguio towering pine.