Baguio Latest News

Mayor defends order on new truck ban exemption

BAGUIO CITY  – Mayor Mauricio G. Domogan underscored the importance of the issuance of Administrative Order No. 050, series of 2017 that granted exemptions to trucks loaded with perishable goods, those containing mine ore concentrate from large-scale mining companies and water delivery trucks from the coverage of the provisions of Ordinance No. 05, series of 2017, saying that it was a move to address the urgency of the matter considering the numerous requests for exemption from the truck ban.

 

The local chief executive explained there was no executive repeal when he issued the order because it contained the provision that warrants the confirmation of the local legislative body before it will be effective.

He explained the supposed action of the local legislative body in confirming the order would be similar to the granting of an exemption from the coverage of the truck ban ordinance considering that it did not authorize him to grant the necessary exemption from the coverage of the measure that is already being implemented.

“We will already leave the matter to the members of the city council when to act on the exemptions being requested by the various sectors. We already did our part in issuing the necessary order which must be confirmed by the local legislators before it will be in full force and effect,” Domogan stressed.

Domogan said that he found merit to the requests for exemption from the coverage of the truck ban by the concerned sectors that is why he called for a meeting among all those involved that ended up in the issuance of the order that was forwarded to the local legislative body for confirmation.

According to him, the concerned sectors must continue lobbying with the members of the city council for exemption because as far as he is concerned, he already did his part which was against misinterpreted by some local legislators.

Under the new truck ban ordinance, 6-wheeler trucks, trailer trucks, heavy equipment among others are prohibited from plying the major roads in the city from 6 am to 9 am daily and 4 pm to 9 pm daily.

He claimed once the council confirms the administrative order, it will be a joint action of the executive and legislative branches of government on the pressing concern that was brought to his attention by the concerned stakeholders.

La Trinidad Mayor Romeo Salda, La Trinidad police Chief Inspector Benson Macliing accompanied vegetable and cutflower truckers in appealing to Mayor Domogan to relax the implementation of the new truck ban ordinance by granting the necessary exemptions to their trucks considering that even in Metro Manila, transporters of perishable goods are even given foodlane stickers for them to be exempted from the coverage of the truck ban and other traffic ordinances in the Metro Manila area.

He called on the local legislators to fastrack their supposed actions on the grant of exemption to concerned stakeholders from the coverage of the truck ban to prevent its serious negative effect on the transport of perishable goods from the farms to the market.

By Dexter A. See http://baguioheraldexpressonline.com

 

Baguio Tourist Attractions

Marker of the Philippine Commission's First Session in Baguio

This is the site of the building where the members of the Philippine Commission met from April 22 to June 11, 1904 and officially initiated the use of Baguio as the Philippine Summer Capital. The Commission was composed of Governor General Luke Wright, president, and Commissioners Henry Ide, Dean C. Worcester, T Padre Tavera, Benito Legarda, Jose de Luzuriaga, James Smith and Cameron Forbes.

Kennon Road and its Builder

Tourist-Spots-in-BaguioNamed after Col. Lyman W. Kennon, who was the final builder of the famous Benguet road, with the help of the industrious Cordillerans and foreign workers. Kennon road is the shortest and the most scenic highway linking Baguio and the lowlands. The lion's head can be found along the way. Final construction of this road was finished in 1903. Col. L. Kennon first ascended to Baguio in 1905. Of the original workers, the Igorots and Japanese were admired for their trustworthiness and willingness to work. Kennon was closed to traffic after the July 16, 1990 earthquake. It is now open to light vehicles only.

Diplomat Hotel on Dominican Hill

diplomatIn May 1911, the councils of the Province of the Dominican Order voted to construct a vacation house in Baguio on a 17-hectare property they had acquired when the American authorities were encouraging people to come here. Actual work started in 1913 under Fr. Roque Ruano and the building was inaugurated on May 23, 1925. To take advantage of the tax exemptions a school called Collegio del Santissimo Rosario was opened in June 1915 but due to the very small enrollment the school closed in 1917, reverting the building to the original vacation house. During WWII refugees first occupied it. Later the Japanese Army Liberation Forces had to bomb out the refugees from the buildings. The five hits left very extensive damage and for a time it was left unrepaired. Reconstruction was started in 1947 and completed in 1948 with most of its pre-war grandeur and beauty restored. In 1973, Diplomat Hotels, Inc. acquired ownership, remodeled the interior into a 33-bedroom hotel with modern facilities, but retained the unique and distinct personality of the Dominican Hill. In the 80's the hotel ceased operations due to the death of one of its majority stockholders. Plans are underway to develop this historical religious landmark into a tourist resort.

Philippine Military Academy

PMAThe Philippine Commission promulgated Act No. 175, which became the basis for the creation of the Philippine Constabulary in August 8, 1905. The school for the officers of the constabulary was first located in Sta. Lucia Barracks in Manila. Later in 1908, it was relocated in Baguio on the site known as Constabulary Hill later renamed Camp Henry T. Allen, in honor of the first chief of the Philippine Constabulary. With the passage of the Jones Law, the school was later changed to "Academy for Officers of the Philippine Constabulary" with a two-year curriculum. In 1908, the course was raised to collegiate level and later lengthened to three years with class 1938 as having the last graduates of that course. When the commonwealth government was established in 1935, the Philippine Military Academy was created in place of the Philippine Constabulary Academy. Under the National Defense Act, the PMA was authorized to maintain cadet strength of 350. Because of increased population, the academy transferred to Teachers Camp in June 1936 where it remained until WWII broke out. After the war the PMA headquarters was temporarily relocated at Camp Murphy and later at Alabang, while Camp Allen was being rehabilitated. Since May 1950 the Philippine Military Academy has found its permanent home at Fort del Pilar, Loakan, Baguio City.

The Mansion

The-Mansion-Baguio-CityThis imposing and majestic mansion has a long list of Filipino Presidents and American governor-generals. It has elegantly structured building and guesthouse. Its gate is patterned after that of London's Buckingham Palace. The Mansion has also been the site of several international conferences and a working office of the President of the Philippines during his visits to the City.

Camp John Hay

camp-john-hay-amphitheaterThis former American recreational facility is currently undergoing development as a world class resort. As of March 27, 1999, the golf course was completed and is now open, The skating rink, picnic area, and the mini golf course at the Scout Hill area are likewise open.

Asin Hot Spring

Located 16 kilometers northwest of Baguio, the resort's main feature is a swimming pool surrounded by thermal springs, lush vegetation and several hanging bridges. It is an ideal respite. This is now eyed to be redeveloped into a tourism resort along with the adjoining tourist attractions of Tuba and Baguio.

Bell Church

The-Bell-Church-of-Baguio-CityThis cluster of temples is located on the border of Baguio City and Trinidad Valley. Its exotic oriental architecture, pagodas roof, ornate gateway, dragon ornaments and Buddha - guarded windows gaze from atop a hill. The Bell Temple priest practices a mixture of Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism, and Christianity. One may even try having his fortune told.

Burnham Park

Burnham-Park-BaguioIt is the oldest of all Baguio parks. One can unwind from the tension of the day-to-day bustle by biking, skating or simply reflecting on the day's experiences amid a soothing garden backdrop of colorful flowers. It is thickly wooded and is a great place to have picnics and concerts. There are tennis and basketball courts, a football field, athletic oval and an orchidarium.

Mines View Park

Mines-View-Park-Baguio-CityAppropriately named for its breathtaking view of Benguet's mountain ranges where gold, silver and other ores were once quarried. There are souvenir shops around the park offering such items as woodcarvings, woven cloth, ashtrays, shell products and other curio items.

Wright Park

It is sometimes mistakenly called "Ride Park" by some that identify this pine tree park reserve for kiddy horse rides. A long stairway leads to the "Pool of the Pines", a 100 meter long pool of water lined on both sides by the famous Baguio towering pine.